New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
So I was thinking about buying the O2 + ODAC combo for $250. But then I saw that if I was using a computer with this Is would need it to be USB. I this true? Also could I get a better amp and DAC for $250?
post #2 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

So I was thinking about buying the O2 + ODAC combo for $250. But then I saw that if I was using a computer with this Is would need it to be USB. I this true? Also could I get a better amp and DAC for $250?

I believe the ODAC only uses a USB input and most computers (99%) come with USB output.

Is this for music? movies? gaming?

post #3 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I believe the ODAC only uses a USB input and most computers (99%) come with USB output.
Is this for music? movies? gaming?
Music, movies, and gaming.
post #4 of 34
Thread Starter 

What about the Little Dot MKIII would that work? It has a DAC right? 

post #5 of 34
The Little Dot MKIII is an headphone amplifier, no DAC circuitry in there. As you can see on the official forum, the Little Dot MKIII has analog L/R input only (+ analog L/R output if you need to operate it as a pre-amp).

You should look for the Little Dot DAC_II instead. You can realize this thing works as an AMP+DAC because it has digital inputs (Coaxial RCA/BNC, TOSLINK and USB), an headphone output and a volume knob. biggrin.gif
You can just use it as a DAC by connecting another amplifier to the analog outputs on the back of the unit.

Hope this helps.
Edited by MrScratch - 9/19/12 at 10:48am
post #6 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScratch View Post

The Little Dot MKIII is an headphone amplifier, no DAC circuitry in there. As you can see on the official forum, the Little Dot MKIII has analog L/R input only (+ analog L/R output if you need to operate it as a pre-amp).
You should look foor the Little Dot DAC_II instead. You can realize this thing works as an AMP+DAC because it has digita inputs (Coaxial RCA/BNC, TOSLINK and USB), an headphone output and a volume knob. biggrin.gif
You can just use it as a DAC by connecting another amplifier to the analog outputs on the back of the unit.
Hope this helps.
so I can use the little dot dac II as a solid state amp? Then if I want to use a tube amp I can us the little dot MKIII?
post #7 of 34
Yup, that's how it works. wink.gif
post #8 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScratch View Post

Yup, that's how it works. wink.gif
sweet. Now do you think there's a better amp/dac for $300?
post #9 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

sweet. Now do you think there's a better amp/dac for $300?
maybe I could get a schiit Valhalla for $250 then a FiiO E10 for like $50. Would that be the best set up I could get? But I would love a tube amp(:. And I want an amp to work well with the beyerdynamic dt880s
post #10 of 34
Sorry but I don't have the kind of experience required to answer your question. I'm still a newbie! biggrin.gif

It seems to be a beloved tube amplifier by our fellow head-fiers and I can tell you I'd die to hear how it sounds at least once. Maybe I'll make up my mind after getting a pair of hi-fi phones. Yeah, one day... tongue.gif
post #11 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScratch View Post

Sorry but I don't have the kind of experience required to answer your question. I'm still a newbie! biggrin.gif
It seems to be a beloved tube amplifier by our fellow head-fiers and I can tell you I'd die to hear how it sounds at least once. Maybe I'll make up my mind after getting a pair of hi-fi phones. Yeah, one day... tongue.gif
such a hard decision):. O2 +ODAC or little dot mkIII + fiio e11or the little dot dac II or the schiit Valhalla + fiio e10.. which one!!!
post #12 of 34
I'd go for a Little Dot MKIII or a Lake People G109 S (or both, I'm MAD xD).
I'm still wondering if it is a good idea to plug such amplifiers directly in my iMac or if a Fiio E17+E09K (through pre_out and/or line out outputs) would suffice. I don't want to spend too much money even on different DACs just to try them out, once you start to do this it's hard to stop! biggrin.gif
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

such a hard decision):. O2 +ODAC or little dot mkIII + fiio e11or the little dot dac II or the schiit Valhalla + fiio e10.. which one!!!

The Valhalla is the $350 tube amp, i believe you are referring to the $250 Asgard :) both of which are extremely good amps in their own right.

 

If you really want entry level tubes you will probably just be advised to go little dot MKIII, as for DAC's, the HRT music streamer I I is a nice one,

 

However thats most likely out of your stated price range.

 

What headphones will you be powering anywho?

post #14 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakensaur View Post

The Valhalla is the $350 tube amp, i believe you are referring to the $250 Asgard smily_headphones1.gif both of which are extremely good amps in their own right.

If you really want entry level tubes you will probably just be advised to go little dot MKIII, as for DAC's, the HRT music streamer I I is a nice one,

However thats most likely out of your stated price range.

What headphones will you be powering anywho?
woah. I totally thought it was the Valhalla yea I'm referring to the asgard(;. I will be powering the beyerdynamic dt880's. Couldn't I use the fiio e10 as a dac?
post #15 of 34
Thread Starter 

So to clear up confusion. My budget is $300 for a amp and DAC. Also if I got the O2 + ODAC and then got a tube amp could I use the ODAC as a DAC with a new amp even if the ODAC is in the O2's case?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)