Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › My Sansa Fuze is melting!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Sansa Fuze is melting!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

After just a couple years, the rubberized back on my Sansa Fuze is melting away. It looks like half melted wax and everything is sticking to it. I can easily scratch it off down to the metal with my fingernail. I can get a cover for the rig but I'd rather clean it up.

 

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions on how to remove the gunk? Thanks-

post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogan View Post

After just a couple years, the rubberized back on my Sansa Fuze is melting away. It looks like half melted wax and everything is sticking to it. I can easily scratch it off down to the metal with my fingernail. I can get a cover for the rig but I'd rather clean it up.

 

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions on how to remove the gunk? Thanks-

 

Maybe scrape it all down to the metal with something softer than the metal, and then put a clear screen protector over it when it is cleaned up ?

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the suggestion.

 

The front of the Fuze is fine, as is the glossy plastic frame that surrounds it. But the back is nothing but a coating of goo. This rig has never been in sunlight or a hot environment so I'm at a loss as to why it decided to melt. I think scraping it all off might be my only recourse.
 

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogan View Post

Thanks for the suggestion.

 

The front of the Fuze is fine, as is the glossy plastic frame that surrounds it. But the back is nothing but a coating of goo. This rig has never been in sunlight or a hot environment so I'm at a loss as to why it decided to melt. I think scraping it all off might be my only recourse.
 

 

I had a few of them, but never for as long as you've had yours, and I always had a silicone skin on the ones I had.

 I remember seeing a picture of a DAP somewhere where somebody had done this....I think it was one of the metal-backed ipods, where they buffed out the scratches and then covered it with a screen shield....so that's where the idea came from. Best of luck with it! 

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

 

I had a few of them, but never for as long as you've had yours, and I always had a silicone skin on the ones I had.

 I remember seeing a picture of a DAP somewhere where somebody had done this....I think it was one of the metal-backed ipods, where they buffed out the scratches and then covered it with a screen shield....so that's where the idea came from. Best of luck with it! 

 

Thanks. I never though the SQ of the Fuze was that great compared to my Zune or Clip Zip, but after Rockboxing it I thought I've give a LOD and an amp a try just to see if I can make it really sing. Have you had any luck with that?

post #6 of 13

I'm surprised they even continued using metal on them. The E200 series had those metal backing but they were clearly visible. I really enjoyed my E280 Version 2 (same sound quality as the Fuze) plus it had replaceable battery. I have to admit the difference between Version 1 and 2 were quite noticeable and really got me started on this expensive journey.... bigsmile_face.gif
 


Edited by lee730 - 9/18/12 at 3:35pm
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 

Ya, it's a V2 and I like the SD slot and the wide display. Makes the display on my Clip Zip look like a postage stamp.
 

post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogan View Post

 

Thanks. I never though the SQ of the Fuze was that great compared to my Zune or Clip Zip, but after Rockboxing it I thought I've give a LOD and an amp a try just to see if I can make it really sing. Have you had any luck with that?

I Rockboxed several of mine, but i never had an LOD for them. Set your volume at 0db in Rockbox if you want to amp from the headphone-out.....it's a clean signal and works fine that way.(at least it did with my ReplayGained files)

post #9 of 13

I found the line out dock to sound slightly better than the HO. The sound stage was wider, better separation.
 

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 

I just checked eBay and an LOD for the Fuze is going for $17 to $32 depending if you want a cable termination or not.
 

post #11 of 13

Yeah when I bought mine it was through Fiio while they still made them. I've since moved on to better sounding products. My Fuze was lost or stolen during my move (didn't care so much though, but some of my other stuff.....).
 

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Yeah when I bought mine it was through Fiio while they still made them. I've since moved on to better sounding products. My Fuze was lost or stolen during my move (didn't care so much though, but some of my other stuff.....).
 

 

What have you moved on to?

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogan View Post

 

What have you moved on to?


Studio V 3rd ANV, Rocoo Ba, ibasso DX100. The Rocoo may end up going for sale after its tour, not so sure. I really don't have any use for it...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › My Sansa Fuze is melting!