I guess I don't understand posts like this. To me, every day is a new "Golden Age" around here. I think growth is good, it can only lead to good things. For example:
1. The bigger we get, the more impoortant we become, the bigger a market we are. The bigger the market we are, the more new toys the audio manufacturers will build for us. IMO, this can only be a *good* thing. We've already seen this start to happen, when I first came to headwize in 99 (or was it '98?), there were only a handful of headphone amps on the market. Now every week there's a new manufactuer getting into the market with their own product.
2. We now have more and more Head-Fi meets in more and more locations, where people get to share gear and good company of like-minded people. The bigger we grow the more meetings we can have, the larger the meetings we can have, the more gear will be brought to these meetings for us to hear... etc. etc.
3. The longer people stick around, the more the experience level of many Head-Fiers continues to grow, making their reviews and opinions ever more valuable and informative. We now routinely have folks here who receive gear from audio makers strictly for evaluation purposes, that's pretty damn cool IMO.
4. Now, when you ask a question or start a thread, within minutes, sometimes even seconds, you've got a dozen replies, and maybe even a fun debate develops. That's amazing, there's no need to wait several days, or several weeks for a reply, and you aren't at the mercy of the one person who bothers to reply, you'll have a dozen different perspectives to compare.
5. We've grown so large, we can now have more specialized forums to discuss more specific areas of interest. remember when amps, sources, speakers and cables were all in one forum? Was that better? It was only through our growth that these forums were necessary to split off and could support themselves.
6. The Take it Outside and even the Certifiably Inane forum allow an outlet for discussions of topics beyond just headphones, you can get a good laugh or even a spirited intellectual debate without ever having to leave the site.
7. The For Sale forum now has so many tasty pieces of gear at a good price, you can get virtually any headphone, headphone amp, cable etc. you want at almost any time, no need to wait 2-3 months in the hope that one shows up.
8. We now have Headroom and TTVJ with their own forums for answering our questions. this is very useful, we can only hope that in the future perhaps some headphone makers will set up shop there and we can interact with them in person, provide feedback, suggestions, wish lists, etc.
OK, you get the idea. To me every new member has something to offer the community and makes us stronger not weaker, and makes the forums more useful, not less.