or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D - Page 93  

post #1381 of 1991

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet.....

 

As a fellow Conductor owner I must say this unit does actually sound quite a bit better after a little bit of burn-in. I was very happy with the performance straight out of the box, but after about 75 hours or so of use now, I can say things have definately gotten a lot better. The bass is more defined and full sounding and the soundstage has expanded as well. As far as power strips, I couldn't say because I just have the included power cable with mine, though I did recently find out that plugging it into a wall outlet, and not a power strip, does improve sound quality. I may eventually get a Shunyata power cable upgrade for it, but I've purchased them before and the increase in sound quality was very minute IMO.

post #1382 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott58 View Post
 

Anyone have experience with power cables and their effect on the Conductor? I've read about the effect of power strips, but didn't know if the group has tried swapping PC's. I'm traditionally a Cardas GR person in my 2-channel set-up. Thanks in advance.  

 

Yes - I found power chords make a difference and to me they were an worthwhile upgrade. 

post #1383 of 1991

Negura, any that you recommend for the Conductor in particular?

post #1384 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by negura View Post
 

 

Yes - I found power chords make a difference and to me they were an worthwhile upgrade. 

+1

post #1385 of 1991
I was very impressed with the Acrolink 7N wire chord I assembled myself as per a few pages back. When I can budget that again I plan to make at least 2 more.

I no longer had the Conductor at that time, but experience with power chords was consistent across my other devices.
Edited by negura - 1/21/14 at 2:30pm
post #1386 of 1991

Thanks for all the responses! Love this community, you're even more responsive than Audiogon!

 

So here's an even deeper question for you all beyond power cords (which I also have seen great improvements with). Anyone ever tried balanced power with a Conductor?

 

I'm a big fan of isolation transformers (keeps noise from passing between components) and have transformers (over-sized Topaz industrial units) for all of my components on my 2-channel set up. As a former engineer, I am comfortable in taking a bit more of a DIY approach and I rewired my isolation transformers so they run "balanced", that is instead of a +120V-0-0 (one hot wire, one neutral and one ground) they run -60V-0-+60V, with the 120V differential still in place, but spread 60V each across two legs. This allows any noise in the power line to be cancelled by the opposite signal in the other direction. You have to be very careful with the application of such systems as most power switches only cut off the "hot" leg and therefore with balanced power you still risk having a 60V leg active, even if the power is "off" (always best to make sure you unplug things before popping the lids open anyway). Again, not for the non-technically oriented, but I found that with my OTL tube amps (Atma-Sphere's) it made a noticeable improvement. 

 

Anyone else tried this? Anyone curious? 

 

Thanks again! 

 

PS - My wallet is actually quite happy, as I am selling of my 2-channel system in my transition to headphones and I have found the "bang-for-your-buck" factor is way higher in the head-fi space!

post #1387 of 1991

And goldendarko I totally agree with your point about burn-in. I never do any critical listening until I've had something playing for a week. Great thing about the HD650's is that their foam-lined shipping box makes a great sound dampener, so I've left my Conductor on and playing for over a week now, so plenty of burn in time. This has also helped my new cable (the Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3) burn in as well. 

 

I always worry about people who say either 1) "I wasn't impressed from the start", or 2) "Straight out of the box it was great!". IMHO neither is right. It definitely takes time to let things settle in. 

post #1388 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post
 

Negura, any that you recommend for the Conductor in particular?

I have tried some power chords with Conductor, like PS Audio Jewel, Wireworld Aurora, Jack DNA (custom cable by www.jack-fi.ro ), and I ended up with a Chord Mains Cable which I liked with Conductor.

 

Try to keep away from the cables that have power conditioning or filtering(as wireworld aurora) as Conductor already has 5-step filtering inside and doesn't match well with a power chord as such as it takes away from dynamics.

post #1389 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.gheorghe View Post
 

I have tried some power chords with Conductor, like PS Audio Jewel, Wireworld Aurora, Jack DNA (custom cable by www.jack-fi.ro ), and I ended up with a Chord Mains Cable which I liked with Conductor.

 

Try to keep away from the cables that have power conditioning or filtering(as wireworld aurora) as Conductor already has 5-step filtering inside and doesn't match well with a power chord as such as it takes away from dynamics.


Dan, thanks for the recommendation, may have to save up and check that one out instead of the Shunyata

post #1390 of 1991
+1 The Chord is great with the Conductor
post #1391 of 1991

Hi Scott,

Yep, power cords did make a difference for my Conductor too, I ended up with a no-name PCOCC cable from my fellow citraian, I ended liking it more than some Wireworld cables, go figure.

Some dudes even rolled some fuses in Conductor with positive results, so there are few possibilities for improving the already great Conductor.

If you are using the stock USB input (and not some fancy transports or SPDIF converters) then I recommend spending another 65 USD/EURO for the new USB module from Burson, this one

I'm getting one today to try it out and will post my impressions later, as my SPDIF interface needs a repair job.


Edited by DarKu - 1/22/14 at 2:02am
post #1392 of 1991
Darku, I look forward to your impressions as I think that will be my next upgrade too. Gotta keep the upgrades small for now until my wallet fully recovers smily_headphones1.gif
post #1393 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post

Darku, I look forward to your impressions as I think that will be my next upgrade too. Gotta keep the upgrades small for now until my wallet fully recovers smily_headphones1.gif


Got my new C-Media USB module two hours ago.

Short impressions: little pops, cracks in the sound, noise and rare crash of the system are now completely gone. After 4 songs I can definitely say that the new module is a little more resolving, has even less digital glare and sounds smoother. It also seems a little airier. 65 Euros well spent, definitely sounds like a good-ish S/PDIF interface.

Edit: I hear new micro-details on some songs compared to stock USB, I'm very pleased by it.


Edited by DarKu - 1/22/14 at 1:07pm
post #1394 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKu View Post
 

Hi Scott,

Yep, power cords did make a difference for my Conductor too, I ended up with a no-name PCOCC cable from my fellow citraian, I ended liking it more than some Wireworld cables, go figure.

Some dudes even rolled some fuses in Conductor with positive results, so there are few possibilities for improving the already great Conductor.

If you are using the stock USB input (and not some fancy transports or SPDIF converters) then I recommend spending another 65 USD/EURO for the new USB module from Burson, this one

I'm getting one today to try it out and will post my impressions later, as my SPDIF interface needs a repair job.

 

I don't think power cables make a bit of difference. See the link in my sig for why, ie.:  http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/power-cables

post #1395 of 1991

Darku - Very cool on the new USB module. Might have to pick one of those up! Let us know if there is any additional "goodness" as the unit settles in. Thanks for the heads up and the info.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D