or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D - Page 90  

post #1336 of 1991
Yes, something like the Hydra or Audiophilleo would do. The Audiophilleo is $579. Don't know about the price of the Hydra in other countries.
As for the difference... Let's just say that I won't be giving it away until I get a much better DAC.
A cheaper improvement would be getting an upgraded USB module from Burson.
post #1337 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by citraian View Post

Yes, something like the Hydra or Audiophilleo would do. The Audiophilleo is $579. Don't know about the price of the Hydra in other countries.

As for the difference... Let's just say that I won't be giving it away until I get a much better DAC.

A cheaper improvement would be getting an upgraded USB module from Burson.

 



Citraian, thanks for the info! Can you sa specifically how it effects the sound quality? I also have a Conductor that I am using with LCD-2.2's. I haven't had any problems with the default USB module, so at this point I'm just curious, but I know that upgrade bug may be coming around to bite me soon (either that or it's my wife coming to take my wallet away from me so it stops running away from me smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by goldendarko - 12/26/13 at 10:46pm
post #1338 of 1991
post #1339 of 1991
I went the cheaper route with the USB upgrade, I'm pretty happy with it
I was about to get the audiophileo, then opted for the Concero, it also doubles as spdif converter if I ever need to use it that way.
post #1340 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiont View Post

I went the cheaper route with the USB upgrade, I'm pretty happy with it

I was about to get the audiophileo, then opted for the Concero, it also doubles as spdif converter if I ever need to use it that way.

 



How much was the USB upgrade, was there any noticable sound difference?
post #1341 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiont View Post

I went the cheaper route with the USB upgrade, I'm pretty happy with it

I was about to get the audiophileo, then opted for the Concero, it also doubles as spdif converter if I ever need to use it that way.

 



How much was the USB upgrade, was there any noticable sound difference?

I noticed more detail and instrument separation right away, I listen to a lot of classical.

 

and so far a bug free experience :)

post #1342 of 1991
was the install easy to do, looks like its only $65, would you say it was worth it?
post #1343 of 1991
For me it was worth it, I was having issues with the old Tenor interface, and the sound improvement was instantly noticed.

It's easy to install, you need to take the sides out. But it's all held by a few hex screws hex.
Hard to break anything, this think is a little tank.

The only issue is the way burson ships the card, basically two foams with tape around it. There are some pics in this thread.
Also it seems to have some issues with OSX.
Edited by Kiont - 12/27/13 at 2:05am
post #1344 of 1991
Ok thanks, yeah I haven't had any issues with the Tenor USB module, so I wasn't sure if I should even worry about upgrading it, seems to work great with my computer so far.
post #1345 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post

Ok thanks, yeah I haven't had any issues with the Tenor USB module, so I wasn't sure if I should even worry about upgrading it, seems to work great with my computer so far.
Hey, if it ain't broke....
post #1346 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiont View Post



Hey, if it ain't broke....

 



....upgrade anyway!
post #1347 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway View Post

Congratulations! smily_headphones1.gif I wonder how you will compare them to HE-500.

The HE-500 are my favourite headphones to date, but they're not perfect. If the LCD-XC can match what the HE-500 do well and improve upon a couple of things then I'm sure they'll keep me happy. I'd like a little more air around the instruments and I'd like them to sound a little more like real instruments. Sometimes music sounds a little congested and artificial with the HE-500.

If the Audezes don't warrant their price tag then they'll be sent back to the dealer. They'd better be nigh on perfect for the money they cost :-)
post #1348 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by phototristan View Post
 

I've decided low gain doesn't cut it for me on the Conductor with my LCD-3s. 

 

Rock just doesn't kick quite as much. 

 

What gain are people using with Audeze?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post
 

I'm on high gain with LCD-2's.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKu View Post
 


+ 100 !

 

High gain 11-12 o'clock and 2 o'clock for old rock if I want to rock hard with LCD-3 :gs1000smile:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post
 

 

I'm about 2 o'clock as well on the Conductor on High Gain. Hope that's not too loud to blow my eardrums out

 

 

I'm back to low gain and just turning the volume up a bit more. Reason is in medium or high gain, you loose a bit of quality and get a bit more noise and it sounds slightly more grainy. It's very subtle but I can notice it if I really pay attention to vocals. 

post #1349 of 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by phototristan View Post
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm back to low gain and just turning the volume up a bit more. Reason is in medium or high gain, you loose a bit of quality and get a bit more noise and it sounds slightly more grainy. It's very subtle but I can notice it if I really pay attention to vocals. 


+1

I agree, Low Gain has cleaner sound. High Gain is somewhat foggy or blurred on my Senn HD800.


Edited by Gustavo - 12/30/13 at 11:03am
post #1350 of 1991

Has anyone thought of changing the Fuse of the Conductor to a more high quality one?

I read in a polish review that this changes the sound in a big way.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D