I am currently debating between the Ultrasone Edition 8 or the Beyerdynamic T5p...which one overall has better sound quality coming off of an iPod or MacBook Pro?
Related Forum Threads
- Which High End Headphone Has Good Sound Isolation? Last post on 12/24/12 at 8:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Lost my Ultrasone ed.8... What should I buy now? Last post on 9/26/12 at 4:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultimate closed headphone? Last post on 8/5/13 at 12:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Top of the range headphones for opera Last post on 1/16/13 at 7:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones that don't leak sound, price no object Last post on 5/30/13 at 10:15am in Headphones (full-size)
“You know, I’ve never owned any Schi….um, any of your products..” I was saying to Jason Stoddard in LA in March. Indeed, the last time I’d sampled anything from his company was years ago at a meet...
I am new to head-fi and this is my first ever review. Basically I joined head-fi to read people's expert opinions on different products, as I'm not an audiophile and do not know much about the...
Alessandro Music Series MS1i Black Walnut Cups $169 Big thanks to JoeDoe of Head-Fi as he performed the cup installation as well as the swapping out the headband. I paid a little more for mine...
Value: I got these for $207 and at twice the price they'd be a great buy. Sound: If the next sentence seems defensive, it's not. it's an assertion of the sound quality of the HD598s. I've been in...
I'll refrain from writing an extensive review this time, as everything important has already been shown and written down in the other reviews here on head-fi. I second those opinions and can...
Beyerdynamic T5p vs Ultrasone Edition 8
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I don't think you'll be getting the 'best' out of any of the headphones by using an iPod / MacBook Pro.
I've listened to the T5p - it's the sort of sound I like, but probably not for everyone. It's a portable T1.
I have both, no way to really advise you which is best, they're both very good but with different sound signatures and presentation. I prefer the T5p (so far, only had my ED8s a few weeks), but I'm a long way off finally making my mind up about which I prefer. It will depend a lot on which genres you listen to, what aspects of the sound you place the highest value on (soundstage, imaging, resolution, presentation, PRaT etc). People will be better able to advise you about which might suit you best if we had more information on your listening habits and needs, what other headphones you have/have had and what you liked about them.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 9/18/12 at 2:00am
I listen to little to no live music, so I'm not really concerned about soundstage. I would be using them for mainly at home use but also would like them accessible for plane rides or car rides where I'm not driving. I listen to almost all Alternative music, but occasionally I like Rap and Electronic. I do like bass on my headphones, but no so much as that it is overpowering or distorting.
Sound stage is not unique to live music:) Sound stage is an expression of the headphone's ability to separate aspects of the music and present it back to you in the most accurate manner. When a band records an album it's not done with one microphone....it's done with several microphones, instruments, etc. A good sound stage will help you hear each item as it was meant to be heard.
Actually, the new retina macbook pro can drive all my IEMs relatively well. It's much better than macbook pro 13, macbook air, ipad, iphone, ipod classic and other laptops I've owned like the Thinkpad W520, Thinkpad X220. It actually has some sort of mid-bass bump which made my JH13 and ES5 sounds warmer and more engaging than even on my 1400 dollars portable rig. However, it doesn't drive big cans that well, such as my Edition 8 and W5000. You will need an amp to drive the ED8 to its full potential.
Overall I prefer Edition 8 over T5P; however, for the classical T5P might be a better choice. Actually I noticed that I listen less to the classical and more to poor/ rock now when I mainly use Edition 8. My T5P needs its cable replaced, - I have not been in a hurry to do it since I prefer Edition 8, still I feel growing urge to address the issue as I am missing T5P and my classical music recordings.
- Beyerdynamic T5p vs Ultrasone Edition 8
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 21 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › NEW: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW11LTD 1 minute ago
- › wma files on SD card not playable 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › The World’s First Hybrid Earbud, The Grand Launch! DUNU Alpha 1 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by harshkamboj
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by LMNproyect
- › ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles by Vartan
- › Wireless Stereo Headset by Bugattikid2012
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)