I am currently debating between the Ultrasone Edition 8 or the Beyerdynamic T5p...which one overall has better sound quality coming off of an iPod or MacBook Pro?
Related Forum Threads
- Which High End Headphone Has Good Sound Isolation? Last post on 12/24/12 at 8:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Lost my Ultrasone ed.8... What should I buy now? Last post on 9/26/12 at 4:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultimate closed headphone? Last post on 8/5/13 at 12:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Top of the range headphones for opera Last post on 1/16/13 at 7:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones that don't leak sound, price no object Last post on 5/30/13 at 10:15am in Headphones (full-size)
Table of Contents Introduction Features and Ergonomics Sound Quality With IEMS With full-size headphones Comparisons to other audio gear For whom is this player good...
Introduction: There seems to be quite a bit of discussion and disagreements regarding HIFIMAN’s (HFM) newest headphone, the HE400S. Some have praised the HE400S as being a giant slayer while other...
Brainwavz needs no introduction. They have been in the IEM market long enough that they have made a name for themselves, especially in the bang-for-bucks section. The S5 has been in the market for...
I would like to start by saying thank you to Penon Audio for letting me check out the SHOZY Lancea. The Lacea was sent to me in exchange for my honest opinion of it. The SHOZY Lancea is available...
Fidelio X2 is a really nice headphone at this price point. I paid only 190 USD for a new pair and cannot be more happy with the purchase. X2 sounds very open and has an airy soundstage. Still the...
Beyerdynamic T5p vs Ultrasone Edition 8
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I don't think you'll be getting the 'best' out of any of the headphones by using an iPod / MacBook Pro.
I've listened to the T5p - it's the sort of sound I like, but probably not for everyone. It's a portable T1.
I have both, no way to really advise you which is best, they're both very good but with different sound signatures and presentation. I prefer the T5p (so far, only had my ED8s a few weeks), but I'm a long way off finally making my mind up about which I prefer. It will depend a lot on which genres you listen to, what aspects of the sound you place the highest value on (soundstage, imaging, resolution, presentation, PRaT etc). People will be better able to advise you about which might suit you best if we had more information on your listening habits and needs, what other headphones you have/have had and what you liked about them.
Edited by NZtechfreak - 9/18/12 at 2:00am
I listen to little to no live music, so I'm not really concerned about soundstage. I would be using them for mainly at home use but also would like them accessible for plane rides or car rides where I'm not driving. I listen to almost all Alternative music, but occasionally I like Rap and Electronic. I do like bass on my headphones, but no so much as that it is overpowering or distorting.
Sound stage is not unique to live music:) Sound stage is an expression of the headphone's ability to separate aspects of the music and present it back to you in the most accurate manner. When a band records an album it's not done with one microphone....it's done with several microphones, instruments, etc. A good sound stage will help you hear each item as it was meant to be heard.
Actually, the new retina macbook pro can drive all my IEMs relatively well. It's much better than macbook pro 13, macbook air, ipad, iphone, ipod classic and other laptops I've owned like the Thinkpad W520, Thinkpad X220. It actually has some sort of mid-bass bump which made my JH13 and ES5 sounds warmer and more engaging than even on my 1400 dollars portable rig. However, it doesn't drive big cans that well, such as my Edition 8 and W5000. You will need an amp to drive the ED8 to its full potential.
Overall I prefer Edition 8 over T5P; however, for the classical T5P might be a better choice. Actually I noticed that I listen less to the classical and more to poor/ rock now when I mainly use Edition 8. My T5P needs its cable replaced, - I have not been in a hurry to do it since I prefer Edition 8, still I feel growing urge to address the issue as I am missing T5P and my classical music recordings.
- Beyerdynamic T5p vs Ultrasone Edition 8
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 6 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 1 minute ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Is there really such a thing as a non - colored headphone ( are the... 2 minutes ago
- › Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII 3 minutes ago
- › DLNA Audio Streaming 4 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2