Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10 Durability
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10 Durability

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

I was thinking of purchasing the UE TripleFi 10's and I was just concerned if they are a durable pair of IEMs. Is the cable really as bad as I hear they are? How durable are the comply buds? They would be my first good pair of IEMs. My current ones are the Bose IE2. How do these compare to those? How are the UE TripleFi 10s for rock and metal? Thanks in advance for your answers!!

 

Also, do these stick out a lot when in your ears?

post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydindurantas View Post

I was thinking of purchasing the UE TripleFi 10's and I was just concerned if they are a durable pair of IEMs. Is the cable really as bad as I hear they are? How durable are the comply buds? They would be my first good pair of IEMs. My current ones are the Bose IE2. How do these compare to those? How are the UE TripleFi 10s for rock and metal? Thanks in advance for your answers!!

 

Also, do these stick out a lot when in your ears?


I never thought about the cable being an issue in the durable part of things, it sucks for the fact it just tangles easily and seems cheap. I didnt have an issue with how the cable sounded. Of course others will say they did. As for Comply tips, they are going to be an added cost, they just wear out, how long all depends on the person and how often they are used. Best option for getting TF10's IMHO, is wait till Black Friday comes and see if the $95 deal comes back. Then use an option like InEarZ and get customs made. You get away from any issues with durability, you no longer have them stick out like Frankenstein and you can get cool colors. The cable, well that can be replaced at anytime for around $30 and up.

post #3 of 20

Based mainly off my friends' impressions (a few of them own the TF10):

 

 

Quote:
Is the cable really as bad as I hear they are? 

Yes. Kind of noisy (e.g. you can hear it when it brushes against your shirt) and will likely die on you in a year.

 

 

Quote:
How durable are the comply buds?

Depends. Most of my friends used theirs for 1-3 months max before it started looking gross.

A non-issue though; just buy extras. 

 

 

Quote:
Also, do these stick out a lot when in your ears?

Yes. Unless you have elephant ears, I'll probably be able to see the IEMs when I'm standing directly behind you.

You will never be able to sleep on your side with these. I doubt you can wear a helmet with them too.

 

Didn't answer the comparison question (vs Bose) because I have never heard the Bose IEM, and neither have my friends. Everyone I know agrees that the TF10 sound good, isolate well, and isn't the best design or build quality. 

Be careful how you handle the IEM itself. The shell is prone to break apart within a year--that's what most of my friends experienced.

post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 

I'm not sure how something like InEarZ works. How much does it cost to make the smaller and a different color? Would I have to send them my IEMs? And your saying they do stick out significantly?

post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydindurantas View Post

I'm not sure how something like InEarZ works. How much does it cost to make the smaller and a different color? Would I have to send them my IEMs? And your saying they do stick out significantly?


They do stick out quite a bit. What you are doing is taking the TF10 and making them into customs that fit your ears. That's what companies like InEarZ does. You send them the TF10, they take them apart and put them in custom molds that fit your ears. No tips ever needed again. Link bellow with info for you. Mine are in the picture below.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

http://www.inearz.com/

post #6 of 20
Never find TF10's cable to be noisy when wearing them over the ears as intended. It certainly last me well over one year. In fact, my original TF10 cable is still working fine, I only replace it because it gets harden over the years (much like any cable).
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 

Any other suggestions for IEMs under 250? I'm getting concerned about the durability of the TF 10s.

post #8 of 20

I find the UE's pretty good in durability, that's the IEMs themselves, the cable is hit and miss I have 2 standard cables both come with the L plug, one of them is soft and flexible no problems but has a slight sheen to it, the other is more matt looking and is stiff and slightly springy. I also use their microphoned VI cables which are thinner than the standard ones, but sound wise..............

Comply earbuds are great, but do not stand up for durabilty, I prefer JVC / Shure Olive foams they last for much longer and offer the near the same comfort as Comps.

post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

Never find TF10's cable to be noisy when wearing them over the ears as intended. It certainly last me well over one year. In fact, my original TF10 cable is still working fine, I only replace it because it gets harden over the years (much like any cable).

Just saw your post. How bothersome is the fact that they stick out significantly? 

 

Also would the custom cable on logitech ue's website fit these?

post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydindurantas View Post

Any other suggestions for IEMs under 250? I'm getting concerned about the durability of the TF 10s.


Yamaha EPH 100

Vsonic GR07

 

 

The list is long.

post #11 of 20

I does stick out more than most IEMs but its still an IEM (not that large). Yes the UE custom cables fit (both Pre and Post 9/2010). I have had my TF10 for 2 years they are by far the most heavily used headphone in my inventory and they are still fine zero issues. I used the stock cable for 1 year and I just had enough of its crappiness so I decided to buy a post 9/2010 UE customs cable, my original cable still works though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydindurantas View Post

Just saw your post. How bothersome is the fact that they stick out significantly? 

 

Also would the custom cable on logitech ue's website fit these?

post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydindurantas View Post

How bothersome is the fact that they stick out significantly? 

Edited by H20Fidelity - 9/17/12 at 8:26pm
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

I does stick out more than most IEMs but its still an IEM (not that large). Yes the UE custom cables fit (both Pre and Post 9/2010). I have had my TF10 for 2 years they are by far the most heavily used headphone in my inventory and they are still fine zero issues. I used the stock cable for 1 year and I just had enough of its crappiness so I decided to buy a post 9/2010 UE customs cable, my original cable still works though.

Thanks very much for your help. I'm gonna order the TF10s tomorrow and put in an order for a custom cable. I don't think i'll regret my decisions. 

 

Thanks for everyones help too. I'm also going to look into InEarZ. Anymore input on anything especially my question regarding the sound comparability to the Bose IE2s is warmly welcome. Thanks!!

post #14 of 20

Do you even have them all the way in? I have never seen them stick out that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

 

To OP like it was mentioned above amazon has had the TF10 on sale for Black Friday for 2 years straight you may want to wait for that. 

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

Do you even have them all the way in? I have never seen them stick out that far.
To OP like it was mentioned above amazon has had the TF10 on sale for Black Friday for 2 years straight you may want to wait for that. 

I dunno, you'd have to ask the person in the photo. wink.gif They don't quite protrude that far with my pair. Outcomes may vary.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10 Durability