IMO those hifiman orthos (HE5LE and above) should be a good upgrade for you. the dt880 and the he400 are just sidegrades to me (just want to mention). the problem with the he5le is that it is somewhat hard to drive. lousy peaks going everywhere when poorly driven =(
Related Forum Threads
- Beyers for mostly gaming and some music Last post on 7/1/11 at 6:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Main unamped 'phone for a variety: Beyer DT 880, Grado 225, Grado 325, HiFiMan HE-400, or... Last post on 10/24/13 at 7:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Can a Preamp headphone? Last post on 11/17/12 at 6:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Grado SR325is NOT as good as Sennheiser 280 Pro Last post on 3/10/13 at 6:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
The Fiio E12A Mont Blanc portable headphone amplifier is a great amp for IEM's and earbuds. The sound signature is slightly on the warm side, and presents a much fuller sound and wider...
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
Headphone Upgrade from Akg K702 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2910/7/12 at 10:02pmThread Starter
Sorry to revive the thread, but after some time I have begun to consider electrostatics. Amazon has the Koss esp-950 for $660 with an energizer included. How would they sound given my tastes? I'm still considering the w3000anv though despite their $1000+ tag if anybody with experience with them thinks they may suit my tastes better. Thankspost #18 of 2910/7/12 at 10:51pm
Unfortunately, I haven't auditioned the ESP/950, but other people's impressions are that they're basically "SR-Lambda on steroids" in terms of sound signature, especially if you use a Pro bias Stax amp in place of the E/90. That means great treble (on the bright side) and great bass with a spectacular midrange that lets vocals shine, if I had to guess.
What concerns me are the reports of its soundstage; plenty are fine with it, while others say that it's smaller than a typical Stax Lambda. If you like the K702 for its spacious soundstage, you may be let down, or you may be perfectly content. Again, hard to say when I'm comparing headphones I've never heard.post #19 of 2910/8/12 at 12:42pmThread Starter
I wonder how it would stack up against some of the other headphones I've heard. I can be more than content with a soundstage below a K702, but at the same time I'm not really looking for something with a soundstage as small as say my SR 225i right now. A middle ground would still be nice
post #20 of 2910/8/12 at 5:22pmpost #21 of 2910/8/12 at 5:44pmpost #22 of 2910/8/12 at 5:46pmpost #23 of 2910/8/12 at 8:05pmpost #24 of 2910/8/12 at 10:26pmThread Starter
"You cannot upgrade from the K 702. Impossible." +1 Except for maybe the hd800 & Stax 009 <3
"Maybe the upgrade you should consider is a nice amp - and keep the K702"
Keeping the K702 for sure, DW. Amp is already pretty fine with these especially with my tungsol goldpin
"Although I will admit those Koss stats look ridiculously cool and I'd love to hear your impressions so I don't have to buy them myself"
Highly considering it. I don't have the funds to actually buy them for keeps atm, but I could use next quarter's tuition to demo them for a week or 2 off amazon and ship em back after that. Would buy em in a month or two if I actually liked them. <3 Amazon
"Try the HE-5LE." Sorry, the HE-400 left a bad taste in my mouth so I'd prefer to stay away from the Hifiman lineup. Actually I saw a He-6 in the classifieds today for 700$ no shipping costs, but would prefer to avoid hifimans atm even for a steal like that.post #25 of 2910/8/12 at 10:39pmpost #26 of 2910/8/12 at 10:45pmThread Starter
I know, but I'd prefer to try new brands right now. I've never owned an audio technica headphone, a koss headphone, or any electrostatics for that matter. I'll probably end up going back to the he-5le or the he-6 somewhere down the line, just not right now. Besides I don't feeling like investing in an iron neck to support the weight of any more hifimans right now =ppost #27 of 2910/9/12 at 4:36pmThread Starter
Just bought the w3000 off amazon. Doubt I'll end up keeping it for more than a few weeks as I only really have the funds to buy it, not keep it right now. When I return it I'll try out the koss esp-950 and decide which one is for me from there.post #28 of 2910/10/12 at 6:03pmpost #29 of 2910/10/12 at 8:01pmThread StarterI had the opposite experience. I admit the k702 soundstage isnt realistic, but the headphone is very detailed and to me the soundatage adds to their pleasure. The he-400 just sounded like bass was invading the entire frequency. This was good for my really bassy songs, but made everything else sound strange in a negative way. I really listen to every genre of music minus metal, but I enjoy rock the most and the he-400 just made rock sound wrong to me. Too much bass where it wasnt called for and the mids felt fairly recessed. I could see how some people could enjoy the he-400, but it just wasnt my cup of tea, sorry
- Headphone Upgrade from Akg K702
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › WTB cables for Hifiman HE-1000 (single ended) 28 seconds ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 35 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.4 - January 24, 2016 54 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 1 minute ago
- › Vibro Labs Introduction, USA tour, and Head-Fi discount! 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › On a mission to like jazz 4 minutes ago
- › AUDEZE LCD XC 5 minutes ago
- › Weston W40 with aftermarket cable 6 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 6 minutes ago
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...