IMO those hifiman orthos (HE5LE and above) should be a good upgrade for you. the dt880 and the he400 are just sidegrades to me (just want to mention). the problem with the he5le is that it is somewhat hard to drive. lousy peaks going everywhere when poorly driven =(
Related Forum Threads
- Beyers for mostly gaming and some music Last post on 7/1/11 at 6:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Main unamped 'phone for a variety: Beyer DT 880, Grado 225, Grado 325, HiFiMan HE-400, or... Last post on 10/24/13 at 7:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Can a Preamp headphone? Last post on 11/17/12 at 6:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Grado SR325is NOT as good as Sennheiser 280 Pro Last post on 3/10/13 at 6:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
160$ - 180$ price range but was lucky enough to buy it from e-bay only 100$ ?!!?
Intro My hifi journey started 2 years ago with a pair of Sennheiser hd598s and an Asus Xonar Essence Stx sound card. A modest entry, but I have spent a lot of money trying to recapture that wow...
Own them for a while now really love them! bought a couple comply foam tips which are more comfortable then the stock ones. the stock ones are decent i liked the triple flang ones but comply foam...
Introducing Brainwavz very uniquely designed dual dynamic IEM Brainwavz R3 (Comply Tips) Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic IEM I've been lucky enough recently to start...
Disclaimers: I'm a consumer, a headphone enthusiast, so I'm not using these for professional use. ... that's it They come in a nice box, really giving them a professional feel. The bag I...
Headphone Upgrade from Akg K702 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 2910/7/12 at 10:02pmThread Starter
Sorry to revive the thread, but after some time I have begun to consider electrostatics. Amazon has the Koss esp-950 for $660 with an energizer included. How would they sound given my tastes? I'm still considering the w3000anv though despite their $1000+ tag if anybody with experience with them thinks they may suit my tastes better. Thankspost #18 of 2910/7/12 at 10:51pm
Unfortunately, I haven't auditioned the ESP/950, but other people's impressions are that they're basically "SR-Lambda on steroids" in terms of sound signature, especially if you use a Pro bias Stax amp in place of the E/90. That means great treble (on the bright side) and great bass with a spectacular midrange that lets vocals shine, if I had to guess.
What concerns me are the reports of its soundstage; plenty are fine with it, while others say that it's smaller than a typical Stax Lambda. If you like the K702 for its spacious soundstage, you may be let down, or you may be perfectly content. Again, hard to say when I'm comparing headphones I've never heard.post #19 of 2910/8/12 at 12:42pmThread Starter
I wonder how it would stack up against some of the other headphones I've heard. I can be more than content with a soundstage below a K702, but at the same time I'm not really looking for something with a soundstage as small as say my SR 225i right now. A middle ground would still be nice
post #20 of 2910/8/12 at 5:22pmpost #21 of 2910/8/12 at 5:44pmpost #22 of 2910/8/12 at 5:46pmpost #23 of 2910/8/12 at 8:05pmpost #24 of 2910/8/12 at 10:26pmThread Starter
"You cannot upgrade from the K 702. Impossible." +1 Except for maybe the hd800 & Stax 009 <3
"Maybe the upgrade you should consider is a nice amp - and keep the K702"
Keeping the K702 for sure, DW. Amp is already pretty fine with these especially with my tungsol goldpin
"Although I will admit those Koss stats look ridiculously cool and I'd love to hear your impressions so I don't have to buy them myself"
Highly considering it. I don't have the funds to actually buy them for keeps atm, but I could use next quarter's tuition to demo them for a week or 2 off amazon and ship em back after that. Would buy em in a month or two if I actually liked them. <3 Amazon
"Try the HE-5LE." Sorry, the HE-400 left a bad taste in my mouth so I'd prefer to stay away from the Hifiman lineup. Actually I saw a He-6 in the classifieds today for 700$ no shipping costs, but would prefer to avoid hifimans atm even for a steal like that.post #25 of 2910/8/12 at 10:39pmpost #26 of 2910/8/12 at 10:45pmThread Starter
I know, but I'd prefer to try new brands right now. I've never owned an audio technica headphone, a koss headphone, or any electrostatics for that matter. I'll probably end up going back to the he-5le or the he-6 somewhere down the line, just not right now. Besides I don't feeling like investing in an iron neck to support the weight of any more hifimans right now =ppost #27 of 2910/9/12 at 4:36pmThread Starter
Just bought the w3000 off amazon. Doubt I'll end up keeping it for more than a few weeks as I only really have the funds to buy it, not keep it right now. When I return it I'll try out the koss esp-950 and decide which one is for me from there.post #28 of 2910/10/12 at 6:03pmpost #29 of 2910/10/12 at 8:01pmThread StarterI had the opposite experience. I admit the k702 soundstage isnt realistic, but the headphone is very detailed and to me the soundatage adds to their pleasure. The he-400 just sounded like bass was invading the entire frequency. This was good for my really bassy songs, but made everything else sound strange in a negative way. I really listen to every genre of music minus metal, but I enjoy rock the most and the he-400 just made rock sound wrong to me. Too much bass where it wasnt called for and the mids felt fairly recessed. I could see how some people could enjoy the he-400, but it just wasnt my cup of tea, sorry
- Headphone Upgrade from Akg K702
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › New high-end headphone amps: Vorzuge VorzAMPpure and VorzAMPduo... 1 minute ago
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 1 minute ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 2 minutes ago
- › digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 4 minutes ago
- › DigiZoid ZO3 Updates & Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 6 minutes ago
- › HUGE TUBE SALE - 5AR4/5R4/5U4/274 Rectifiers, 6AS7G/6080 Power... 6 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Tesla (Price Drop) 7 minutes ago
- › FS: Abbey Road Monitor interconnects XLR 9 minutes ago
- › Yamaha HPH-MT120BL High Fidelity Over-ear Headphones by ron watson
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by davisman
- › TDK BA200 by ScreenKiller
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by Brooko
- › Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone by Trunks159
- › Samson SR950 by Emid
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital