- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
Related Forum Threads
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 11/27/15 at 7:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones recommendations Last post on 2/15/15 at 4:29pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is by far the closest I have come to writing a 5 star review. Of course to get that, I would have to find the holy grail of headphones for me. I had tried the HD558, HD598, HD650, and...
Used Schiit Modi & Magni with car sim racing game with Sennheiser HD 598 headphones. Unfortunately, Modi died after 2+ years. Thought warranty was 5 years but found out the hard way it's only 2...
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
What do you miss the most with your headphones compared to LIVE music experience?post #1 of 169/17/12 at 2:52pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 169/17/12 at 3:26pmpost #3 of 169/17/12 at 3:50pm
The atmosphere. The excitement and expectations of a good time hang so thick in the air you can cut through them with a knife. I prefer some live show recordings I have over the studio version because I believe it captures the energy of the song. In the cases where I have heard the song sung live myself, the above statement almost always holds true.post #4 of 169/17/12 at 3:56pmpost #5 of 169/17/12 at 4:01pm
I usually don't like going to most concerts and prefer music to be a private/intimate experience, but the obvious thing headphones in general lack is a sense of direction other than left/right.
For example, when my friend and I compose together in my home studio we experiment with the acoustics of the room a lot, like playing acoustic guitars facing opposite corners at different heights, etc. Headphones ill never allow you to feel sound waves encircling the room and all of those sonic tricks cease to be audible. It's like looking at a 2-D photo of a sunset instead of seeing the depth with your own eyes. External speakers capture this sporadically/unreliably and headphones basically don't capture it at all.
Edited by machoboy - 9/17/12 at 4:03pmpost #6 of 169/17/12 at 4:38pmQuote:
That's not excitement, that's smoke man.
But what I like about live shows is the fact that what I'm getting is something unique to that night, something filled with improv that will never be replicated. Especially if it's like an EOTO show where they never play the same song twice.
That and the bass. Can't beat the bass.post #7 of 169/17/12 at 4:39pm
The emotion. Screaming the lyrics to your favorite song and never hearing them as they're drowned out by 10,000 people doing the same. feeling them drowned out by the music. It's cleansing. You get to leave a part of yourself behind, and purify yourself with the music as it penetrates your heart and mindpost #8 of 169/17/12 at 4:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Maverickmonk
The emotion. Screaming the lyrics to your favorite song and never hearing them as they're drowned out by 10,000 people doing the same. feeling them drowned out by the music. It's cleansing. You get to leave a part of yourself behind, and purify yourself with the music as it penetrates your heart and mind
best description of a concert ive ever heard right therepost #9 of 169/17/12 at 4:49pmSinging along and screaming "I LOVE YOU" and various band member names until your throat hurts, but don't notice until later. Or having them take notice of sign you made.
Like when I went to the SCANDAL concert last year at AM2 convention. I was in the second row and will never forget it. Then on top of that, getting to meet the band later.
Hell, I flew to California twice just for two concerts featuring Japanese bands. This summer I saw LiSA. (I'm in Louisiana by the way) That's how much it was worth to see them live.
Edited by PFULMTL - 9/17/12 at 4:57pmpost #10 of 169/17/12 at 5:09pm
Going to an EDM concert can make it hard to breath if the sound system is done well and the song is particularly bassy.
With that said, I enjoy relaxed music much more at home where I can lay back and close my eyes. It's really a matter of my mood as to which experience I enjoy more.post #11 of 169/20/12 at 2:37pmThread Starter
Thanks for your feedbacks, it's refreshing hearing from your live experiences. I think we tend to be too technical sometimes about sound, performance, hardware etc.. And forget about the sound, the feel that makes us so demanding. Recorded sounds make us experiment the past while live is about the present, when everything is put together to create a collective experience.
What is your personal relation with the music? Are you a musician that plays in a band/ alone, just a listener, a concert traveller, a sound designer, a recorder...?
I would like to know more about your personal relation with music. What makes it so special to you.post #12 of 169/27/12 at 4:22ampost #13 of 169/27/12 at 4:33ampost #14 of 169/27/12 at 6:41ampost #15 of 169/27/12 at 8:22am
Sub-sonic bass vibrating my body.
Hearing the music in a new and exciting way that is different than the studio album.
Being surrounded with people who are passionate about something I'm passionate about.
- What do you miss the most with your headphones compared to LIVE music experience?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 40 seconds ago
- › [Reviewer Wanted] USA for new final F series! 2 minutes ago
- › Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Can Con Sydney Australia 7.0 3 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › getting started, first post - headphones for vinyl? 5 minutes ago
- › Ether Flow (open) MINTY 5 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by snapacap
- › Schiit Modi by Tim Updegrove
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear