- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
Related Forum Threads
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 2/17/15 at 1:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones recommendations Last post on 2/15/15 at 4:29pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
What do you miss the most with your headphones compared to LIVE music experience?post #1 of 169/17/12 at 2:52pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 169/17/12 at 3:26pmpost #3 of 169/17/12 at 3:50pm
The atmosphere. The excitement and expectations of a good time hang so thick in the air you can cut through them with a knife. I prefer some live show recordings I have over the studio version because I believe it captures the energy of the song. In the cases where I have heard the song sung live myself, the above statement almost always holds true.post #4 of 169/17/12 at 3:56pmpost #5 of 169/17/12 at 4:01pm
I usually don't like going to most concerts and prefer music to be a private/intimate experience, but the obvious thing headphones in general lack is a sense of direction other than left/right.
For example, when my friend and I compose together in my home studio we experiment with the acoustics of the room a lot, like playing acoustic guitars facing opposite corners at different heights, etc. Headphones ill never allow you to feel sound waves encircling the room and all of those sonic tricks cease to be audible. It's like looking at a 2-D photo of a sunset instead of seeing the depth with your own eyes. External speakers capture this sporadically/unreliably and headphones basically don't capture it at all.
Edited by machoboy - 9/17/12 at 4:03pmpost #6 of 169/17/12 at 4:38pmQuote:
That's not excitement, that's smoke man.
But what I like about live shows is the fact that what I'm getting is something unique to that night, something filled with improv that will never be replicated. Especially if it's like an EOTO show where they never play the same song twice.
That and the bass. Can't beat the bass.post #7 of 169/17/12 at 4:39pm
The emotion. Screaming the lyrics to your favorite song and never hearing them as they're drowned out by 10,000 people doing the same. feeling them drowned out by the music. It's cleansing. You get to leave a part of yourself behind, and purify yourself with the music as it penetrates your heart and mindpost #8 of 169/17/12 at 4:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Maverickmonk
The emotion. Screaming the lyrics to your favorite song and never hearing them as they're drowned out by 10,000 people doing the same. feeling them drowned out by the music. It's cleansing. You get to leave a part of yourself behind, and purify yourself with the music as it penetrates your heart and mind
best description of a concert ive ever heard right therepost #9 of 169/17/12 at 4:49pmSinging along and screaming "I LOVE YOU" and various band member names until your throat hurts, but don't notice until later. Or having them take notice of sign you made.
Like when I went to the SCANDAL concert last year at AM2 convention. I was in the second row and will never forget it. Then on top of that, getting to meet the band later.
Hell, I flew to California twice just for two concerts featuring Japanese bands. This summer I saw LiSA. (I'm in Louisiana by the way) That's how much it was worth to see them live.
Edited by PFULMTL - 9/17/12 at 4:57pmpost #10 of 169/17/12 at 5:09pm
Going to an EDM concert can make it hard to breath if the sound system is done well and the song is particularly bassy.
With that said, I enjoy relaxed music much more at home where I can lay back and close my eyes. It's really a matter of my mood as to which experience I enjoy more.post #11 of 169/20/12 at 2:37pmThread Starter
Thanks for your feedbacks, it's refreshing hearing from your live experiences. I think we tend to be too technical sometimes about sound, performance, hardware etc.. And forget about the sound, the feel that makes us so demanding. Recorded sounds make us experiment the past while live is about the present, when everything is put together to create a collective experience.
What is your personal relation with the music? Are you a musician that plays in a band/ alone, just a listener, a concert traveller, a sound designer, a recorder...?
I would like to know more about your personal relation with music. What makes it so special to you.post #12 of 169/27/12 at 4:22ampost #13 of 169/27/12 at 4:33ampost #14 of 169/27/12 at 6:41ampost #15 of 169/27/12 at 8:22am
Sub-sonic bass vibrating my body.
Hearing the music in a new and exciting way that is different than the studio album.
Being surrounded with people who are passionate about something I'm passionate about.
- What do you miss the most with your headphones compared to LIVE music experience?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 20 seconds ago
- › Why boosting 30 Hz by 30 dB sounds so good... 29 seconds ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 41 seconds ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 1 minute ago
- › Clear Tune Monitors CT-500 Elite Review & Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 4 minutes ago
- › small transportable Stax amplifier Modification thread 5 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by hakushondaimao
- › Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang by Zennheiser
- › FiiO E17 by Zennheiser
- › Sennheiser RS 130 Wireless Surround Sound Headphones by Tail
- › T-Peos Baguette Dynamic Earphones by twister6
- › T-Peos Amadeus dual hybrid in-ear monitor with microphone and remote by Hisoundfi
- › Apple iPhone 4S 16GB - AT&T - Black by snellemin
- › OPPO HA-2 by gerelmx1986
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by peareye
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by dnun8086
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2