- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/18/12
Related Forum Threads
- ATH-W1000x Modded Re-cabled | Purrin's Mod | L3000 Pads Last post on 12/3/13 at 3:11pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Speakers vs Headphones Last post on 6/10/13 at 5:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Complete Guide to taking proper care of headphones Last post on 11/18/13 at 11:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best setup for under $1000 (headphone, amp, and dac) Last post on 4/15/13 at 2:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- On-ear headphones $50-$100 Last post on 3/31/13 at 3:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Coming from Tascam US-144 to Audio GD .. Here is the story. A few years ago I discovered the magic world of listening to headphones. The reason for that is the ease of computer hifi. I...
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
What do you miss the most with your headphones compared to LIVE music experience?post #1 of 169/17/12 at 2:52pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 169/17/12 at 3:26pmpost #3 of 169/17/12 at 3:50pm
The atmosphere. The excitement and expectations of a good time hang so thick in the air you can cut through them with a knife. I prefer some live show recordings I have over the studio version because I believe it captures the energy of the song. In the cases where I have heard the song sung live myself, the above statement almost always holds true.post #4 of 169/17/12 at 3:56pmpost #5 of 169/17/12 at 4:01pm
I usually don't like going to most concerts and prefer music to be a private/intimate experience, but the obvious thing headphones in general lack is a sense of direction other than left/right.
For example, when my friend and I compose together in my home studio we experiment with the acoustics of the room a lot, like playing acoustic guitars facing opposite corners at different heights, etc. Headphones ill never allow you to feel sound waves encircling the room and all of those sonic tricks cease to be audible. It's like looking at a 2-D photo of a sunset instead of seeing the depth with your own eyes. External speakers capture this sporadically/unreliably and headphones basically don't capture it at all.
Edited by machoboy - 9/17/12 at 4:03pmpost #6 of 169/17/12 at 4:38pmQuote:
That's not excitement, that's smoke man.
But what I like about live shows is the fact that what I'm getting is something unique to that night, something filled with improv that will never be replicated. Especially if it's like an EOTO show where they never play the same song twice.
That and the bass. Can't beat the bass.post #7 of 169/17/12 at 4:39pm
The emotion. Screaming the lyrics to your favorite song and never hearing them as they're drowned out by 10,000 people doing the same. feeling them drowned out by the music. It's cleansing. You get to leave a part of yourself behind, and purify yourself with the music as it penetrates your heart and mindpost #8 of 169/17/12 at 4:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Maverickmonk
The emotion. Screaming the lyrics to your favorite song and never hearing them as they're drowned out by 10,000 people doing the same. feeling them drowned out by the music. It's cleansing. You get to leave a part of yourself behind, and purify yourself with the music as it penetrates your heart and mind
best description of a concert ive ever heard right therepost #9 of 169/17/12 at 4:49pmSinging along and screaming "I LOVE YOU" and various band member names until your throat hurts, but don't notice until later. Or having them take notice of sign you made.
Like when I went to the SCANDAL concert last year at AM2 convention. I was in the second row and will never forget it. Then on top of that, getting to meet the band later.
Hell, I flew to California twice just for two concerts featuring Japanese bands. This summer I saw LiSA. (I'm in Louisiana by the way) That's how much it was worth to see them live.
Edited by PFULMTL - 9/17/12 at 4:57pmpost #10 of 169/17/12 at 5:09pm
Going to an EDM concert can make it hard to breath if the sound system is done well and the song is particularly bassy.
With that said, I enjoy relaxed music much more at home where I can lay back and close my eyes. It's really a matter of my mood as to which experience I enjoy more.post #11 of 169/20/12 at 2:37pmThread Starter
Thanks for your feedbacks, it's refreshing hearing from your live experiences. I think we tend to be too technical sometimes about sound, performance, hardware etc.. And forget about the sound, the feel that makes us so demanding. Recorded sounds make us experiment the past while live is about the present, when everything is put together to create a collective experience.
What is your personal relation with the music? Are you a musician that plays in a band/ alone, just a listener, a concert traveller, a sound designer, a recorder...?
I would like to know more about your personal relation with music. What makes it so special to you.post #12 of 169/27/12 at 4:22ampost #13 of 169/27/12 at 4:33ampost #14 of 169/27/12 at 6:41ampost #15 of 169/27/12 at 8:22am
Sub-sonic bass vibrating my body.
Hearing the music in a new and exciting way that is different than the studio album.
Being surrounded with people who are passionate about something I'm passionate about.
- What do you miss the most with your headphones compared to LIVE music experience?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 10 seconds ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900X Appreciation Thread. :) 33 seconds ago
- › FiiO " Flagship " portable amp Mont Blanc/E12 discussing thread,... 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 1 minute ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 1 minute ago
- › Akg Q701 or Grado RS-2i 3 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic t50p 4 minutes ago
- › WESTONE 3 IMPRESSIONS AND APPRECIATION THREAD 7 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi