Two years ago, I received an AKG-K701 as a Birthday present from one of my friends and from than on till now, I've been using it for my PC only. However, recently I've just found out that you need an amp to "drive"(?) the headphone so it will sound much better.
For two years, I've been using this headphone without an amp (plug straight to phone jacket) and honestly, I didn't have any problems with hearing and quality-wise, I couldn't tell if the sound was bad or not.
Ultimately, since I have just found out about the usage of amp with headphone, I was wondering if its still necessary to get an amp at this stage? Or do I just keep using it without an amp?
Moreover, this brings me to ask a question:
- What is the average expectancy for any headphones? Like how often do you change your headphone?
- I'm no audio maniac (audiophile was it?) and I don't really have a preference in stuff like how high the bass is etc etc, the only preference that I have is I like hearing headphones like K701 (Sound quality-wise)
- I only use this headphone for my PC only
- Atm I'm using Realtek High Tek Def as my soundcard
- If I need an amp asap, I could get one for a resonable price. However, I'm not willing to spend couple of hundreds of dollar just for the amp