Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Iphone 5 and new ipod touch DAC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Iphone 5 and new ipod touch DAC? - Page 9

post #121 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

If you actually click the link, it tells you...lol

I did, thats why I asked. There is nothing on Wolfson site regarding WM8533 biggrin.gif

post #122 of 194
Ooh, teh plot thickens!

Cue music!

Enter wolfson fanboys for the next 'wolfons vs cirrus' thread after thread smily_headphones1.gif

LOL. It begins.
post #123 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post

Ooh, teh plot thickens!
Cue music!
Enter wolfson fanboys for the next 'wolfons vs cirrus' thread after thread smily_headphones1.gif
LOL. It begins.

popcorn.gifbiggrin.gif

post #124 of 194

Hmm, looks like the Touch 5 is going to be a nice choice. I'm digging those OI measurements, and I don't care whether it's Wolfson or Cirrus, as I know Cirrus Logic is a perfectly competent chip company. I'm looking to replace my old 2G Touch, which was a bit of a disappointment SQ-wise, but I refuse to lug around anything more than a single DAP.

post #125 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post

Hmm, looks like the Touch 5 is going to be a nice choice. I'm digging those OI measurements, and I don't care whether it's Wolfson or Cirrus, as I know Cirrus Logic is a perfectly competent chip company. I'm looking to replace my old 2G Touch, which was a bit of a disappointment SQ-wise, but I refuse to lug around anything more than a single DAP.

I thought the 4th gen Touch was a great sounding DAP. Hopefully the 5th gen is too, although I won't be buying one, at least for a while.

post #126 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post  I thought the 4th gen Touch was a great sounding DAP. Hopefully the 5th gen is too, although I won't be buying one, at least for a while.

 

Well, I'm looking to use it as a portable camera too, and the 4G Touch is not up to snuff in that aspect.

I probably will be waiting a while as well, but it'll definitely be on my shortlist of things to get.

post #127 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryGillmore View Post

As someone else posted in another thread, the new adapter comes with a Wolfson DAC. Interesting indeed lol http://www.abiresearch.com/blogs/

So, the iPhone 5 or iPod 5th generation can bypass its internal DAC when using this adapter with built-in Wolfson DAC?

post #128 of 194
Considering I use the hp out I might consider a new touch,...the 5G model. Lets see how this goes after all. wink.gif
post #129 of 194

This thread is a bit old (3 days) but I thought it would be good to contribute. I used a dodgy digital multimeter and it gave me ~1.5 ohms for the new iPod Touch - in comparison the O2 gave me about 2 ohms (it should be 0.5) so the multimeter is a bit dodgy, but it should be roughly within a few ohms, which is a good sign. Driving my K701's directly (no amp :3) the new iPod Touch 5g sounds fuller than the 2g but it isn't as loud (which is obviously an issue with a K701). Driving a Brainwavz B2 the new iPod Touch is on par with the 4s - I don't think I could tell them apart. My customs aren't in my hands right now, but they have a very low impedance so I'll see how the new Touch fairs with a very low impedance high end BA IEM when I get them back.

 

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, I measured using the method described here http://www.bcae1.com/outptimp.htm, by no means is it accurate and only an estimate. I do not have access to proper measuring equipment so don't quote me.


Edited by iamthem - 10/18/12 at 3:09pm
post #130 of 194

Can the new iPhone DAC play 96/24?

post #131 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthem View Post

This thread is a bit old (3 days) but I thought it would be good to contribute. I used a dodgy digital multimeter and it gave me ~1.5 ohms for the new iPod Touch - in comparison the O2 gave me about 2 ohms (it should be 0.5) so the multimeter is a bit dodgy, but it should be roughly within a few ohms, which is a good sign. Driving my K701's directly (no amp :3) the new iPod Touch 5g sounds fuller than the 2g but it isn't as loud (which is obviously an issue with a K701). Driving a Brainwavz B2 the new iPod Touch is on par with the 4s - I don't think I could tell them apart. My customs aren't in my hands right now, but they have a very low impedance so I'll see how the new Touch fairs with a very low impedance high end BA IEM when I get them back.

 

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, I measured using the method described here http://www.bcae1.com/outptimp.htm, by no means is it accurate and only an estimate. I do not have access to proper measuring equipment so don't quote me.

 

Could you please elaborate in detail like how ipod touch 5g is similar 4s in sound quality? it would be really helpfull

 

Is ipod touch 5g is as warm and full as iphone 4s?

post #132 of 194

Don't think so.. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels and Air View Post

Can the new iPhone DAC play 96/24?

post #133 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha10 View Post

Is the iPhone 5 really wider than the iPhone 4S ?

 

I have one of each sitting next to me right now, and can safely say that pic is 100% nonsense. They are virtually identical in width.

post #134 of 194

In case you guys are curious: http://monoadc.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-99.html (new Touch is measured at 0.72 ohm Zo)

post #135 of 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalpha11 View Post

So, the iPhone 5 or iPod 5th generation can bypass its internal DAC when using this adapter with built-in Wolfson DAC?

I am also interested on finding this out. I just got an iphone 5, and I would like to use it as source for a PP6 or JH-3A.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Iphone 5 and new ipod touch DAC?