Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Iphone 5 vs 4S Which Should I Get?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Iphone 5 vs 4S Which Should I Get?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

So i've had my Iphone 3GS for 2 years now. I must say it has served me very well. It has been reliable and the battery life wasn't a problem. It has also be easy to use, and I haven't lost it either! However now it is starting to get slow, or is it just I think so? Anyhow it is time for an upgrade. I am 100% getting an Iphone so I won't change my mind on that. The Iphone is easy to use, built well, and most importantly reliable. I am unsure if I should upgrade to the Iphone 5 or 4S. I do quiet a big of internet surfing. I am just curious if the iphone 5 is that much faster than the 4S. I mean the camera is the same, which is dissapointing, if it had a considerably better camera perhaps that would lean me more towards the 5. But the differences may be important to the tech enthusiast, but to me the differences are minimal. Oh and we can't forget the proprietery connector they changed! Know they will charge $35 bucks for the adaptor, I can only immagine how much profit it generates for them. Feel free to share your opinions below!

post #2 of 15

the camera isnt the same, it has the same resolution but thats all. I would say the differences in the camera are the opposite of what you say, adding more resolution to a camera and optics that is already IMO best in class for a phone is really pretty academic, improving ease of use, features and the performance of that camera are more important than adding another megapixel.

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

Yah but they didnt make something amazing. Their were rumours about some payment technoolgy. The things they did to the iphone 5 are what they should have done to the 4. When I expect a new iphone, I expect an all new design and something amazing, i just dont see it. That being said I may still get the 5, its only 100 bucks more.

post #4 of 15

you clearly dont understand the technology all that well, there are some pretty serious upgrades under the hood, the power of the new A6 chip not the smallest of them. LTE wireless is pretty awesome too. one of the areas you will really see the potential is what it allows as far as the software that is now able to run on it and the hardware that will work with it.

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Well maybe not. But anyone convince me the iPhone 5 is that much better?
post #6 of 15

The iPhone 4S is a great phone. The SQ is very good and it has lots to offer like good camera and siri amongst other things. In fact it is the best phone I have ever owned even though the battery isn't the best. However, the iPhone 5 is faster because it has the new A6 processor and 1GB memory as opposed to the previous models's A5 processor and 512MB memory. Take in account though that if you go for the iPhone 5 you will have to buy an adapter to use on docking station etc.


Edited by Artmuzz - 9/16/12 at 1:25pm
post #7 of 15

Has there been confirmation if that are sticking with the same DAC as the 4s?

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post

you clearly dont understand the technology all that well, there are some pretty serious upgrades under the hood, the power of the new A6 chip not the smallest of them. LTE wireless is pretty awesome too. one of the areas you will really see the potential is what it allows as far as the software that is now able to run on it and the hardware that will work with it.

Probably understands better than most.

Dual core?
1GB Ram?
4" screen?
8m camera?
Sat nav?
LTE?

All specs from two years ago tbf.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpiper View Post

Probably understands better than most.
Dual core?
1GB Ram?
4" screen?
8m camera?
Sat nav?
LTE?
All specs from two years ago tbf.
I can honestly say that larger screens are not appealing to me. Apple has been playing it smart in keeping a phone that feels like a phone and not some damn dwarf tablet if you ask me.

The RAM, the CPU, the battery. Those are things that, if you look back not too long ago, Apple was doing extremely smart in their computers. If you can run the largest competition out there to Windows on a single core PPC chip and 1/4 GB of RAM and have it run as smooth as they did, you're doing something right. Apple's proprietary OS allows for smarter coding of 1st party apps and the main OS, so why put some monster, power-hungry CPU in there and give it gobs of RAM only to have them go to waste doing nothing more than eating away at your battery?

4G? When Apple released the 4, 4G was still only in the early adopters. The 4S, still not guaranteed to be in every phone out there. When you put your entire marketing plan for your cellular division into one device, why screw it up with buggy early 4G that doesn't work particularly well?

Resolution is useless in camera discussions if you're already limited as severely as you are with the fixed aperture, the tiny lens, and the tiny photo sensor in a phone. Fix those, then worry about raising the resolution yet again.

The one I'll give you there, is the navigation. There's no real reason this couldn't have showed up a long time ago.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpiper View Post

Probably understands better than most.
Dual core?
1GB Ram?
4" screen?
8m camera?
Sat nav?
LTE?
All specs from two years ago tbf.
I can honestly say that larger screens are not appealing to me. Apple has been playing it smart in keeping a phone that feels like a phone and not some damn dwarf tablet if you ask me.

The RAM, the CPU, the battery. Those are things that, if you look back not too long ago, Apple was doing extremely smart in their computers. If you can run the largest competition out there to Windows on a single core PPC chip and 1/4 GB of RAM and have it run as smooth as they did, you're doing something right. Apple's proprietary OS allows for smarter coding of 1st party apps and the main OS, so why put some monster, power-hungry CPU in there and give it gobs of RAM only to have them go to waste doing nothing more than eating away at your battery?

4G? When Apple released the 4, 4G was still only in the early adopters. The 4S, still not guaranteed to be in every phone out there. When you put your entire marketing plan for your cellular division into one device, why screw it up with buggy early 4G that doesn't work particularly well?

Resolution is useless in camera discussions if you're already limited as severely as you are with the fixed aperture, the tiny lens, and the tiny photo sensor in a phone. Fix those, then worry about raising the resolution yet again.

The one I'll give you there, is the navigation. There's no real reason this couldn't have showed up a long time ago.

Well said. This explains it all.




Tapatalk.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessomatt View Post

Has there been confirmation if that are sticking with the same DAC as the 4s?

Yeah, that's what I wanna know...
The rest I all ready know.. That the new iphone, the 5 is really old news... All of those things that Apple launched as new até really old news for other smartphones, there are quite a bit of android devices out there that have this "new" features since almost a year.
The best upgrade for this new version is the quality of the build material.. Other than that It doesn't impress people that are not new to the mobile world not even for a bit.

But if apple has returned the Wolfson dac in the iphone 5 and the new ipod touch then I maybe buy one new touch.

Although I'm not a android fan boy I really don't agree with many of apple politics, specially because it's former ceo,Steve Jobs , was said kinda of hippie in mentality but it's actions show otherwise. Apple has about 40% profit in its products, including the new iphone, while others such as Samsung has only less than 14%. I don't identify with that...
But when I said it's old news its because it's really old news, only the uneducated apple clients doesn't seem to think so.
Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2
post #12 of 15

Assuming you're signing the 2 year contract, I'd just go with the 5. If you really begin to have second thoughts, just sell it online and buy an unlocked 4S and profit a few hundred rather than saving ~100 from buying the 4S in the first place (16GB models).

post #13 of 15

sgs3 or those iphone5 from china

post #14 of 15

I had the same decision and signed a two year contract to get the 5. I figured if I didn't like it I'd sell it and get a second hand 4S. Well, the moment I held it, I forgot all about those plans.

post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
How is the sound quality?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Iphone 5 vs 4S Which Should I Get?