Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) - Page 413

post #6181 of 6626

UGHHHHH what a pita.... I finally got my inverter and led back light strip.   Installed it, and it was worked great:

Second monitor for $35! Nice and bright with no dark spots but then I barely nudge the led strip and they become about 25% as bright as they were before.  I didn't even bend it and I don't see any damage, any ideas?  I really don't want to spend another $15 and have to wait for shipping from China all over again

post #6182 of 6626
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 

UGHHHHH what a pita.... I finally got my inverter and led back light strip.   Installed it, and it was worked great:

Second monitor for $35! Nice and bright with no dark spots but then I barely nudge the led strip and they become about 25% as bright as they were before.  I didn't even bend it and I don't see any damage, any ideas?  I really don't want to spend another $15 and have to wait for shipping from China all over again

 

Nice! I want to do something like this and use it to make a digital gaming surface for tabletop RPGs.

 

Something like this:

post #6183 of 6626

Yeah it'd be nice if the POS backlight didn't fail randomly after a minute of use.  I have no idea what happened they're all waaaaaaaaay dimmer now.  

 

Seriously not about to spend another $15 on an led strip that cost 50 cents to manufacture :mad: 

 

and now it's either nice and bright or completely off when it's rubbed up against the display's frame at a certain angle.  I have no idea what's going on.


Edited by linglingjr - 7/21/14 at 6:01pm
post #6184 of 6626
okay i hv a question. i have a couple region 1 dvds... for a short while i stay at non-region 1 country... i'm thinking of buying external dvd drive for my pc and laptop... but does local external dvd drive for pc / laptop region 0 (unlocked) or is it also locked to my country's region like if i buy a normal bluray / dvd player..
post #6185 of 6626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 

Yeah it'd be nice if the POS backlight didn't fail randomly after a minute of use.  I have no idea what happened they're all waaaaaaaaay dimmer now.  

 

Seriously not about to spend another $15 on an led strip that cost 50 cents to manufacture :mad: 

 

and now it's either nice and bright or completely off when it's rubbed up against the display's frame at a certain angle.  I have no idea what's going on.

Bad connection somewhere probably.

 

I would have thought a voltage regulator (or something of that kind)

post #6186 of 6626
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovopio View Post

okay i hv a question. i have a couple region 1 dvds... for a short while i stay at non-region 1 country... i'm thinking of buying external dvd drive for my pc and laptop... but does local external dvd drive for pc / laptop region 0 (unlocked) or is it also locked to my country's region like if i buy a normal bluray / dvd player..

There is actually region locking on external and internal optical disc drives. Its not a hardware limitation but a firmware limitation. Just a heads up, not all drives can be made region free.

 

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/region_page1.html

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/rpc1.htm

post #6187 of 6626

Free copy of Hitman 2: Silent Assassin on Steam for the first person to claim it.

 

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=2qZC5b3HyFrxkK5r

post #6188 of 6626
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

Free copy of Hitman 2: Silent Assassin on Steam for the first person to claim it.

 

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=2qZC5b3HyFrxkK5r

Thanks man, I'll be sure to hit some men for you.

post #6189 of 6626
Thread Starter 

Whatever happened to Malware Bytes and Ad Aware?

 

Oh right. They became consumerized after their success with pc fixers. 

 

 

 

All of these once were mighty toolboxes of great virus fixer uppers have now become Malware themselves. Not malware as in bad malware. But malware as in they literally are part of the issue. 

 

 

Malware Bytes with its new consumer updated UI made me think it was a malware at first or a fake. This wasn't the biggest problem. The biggest problem was that you couldn't delete and remove malware and all that after scanning. None. You had to scan. Quarantine all. And then go into its settings for Quarantine and then click the small 'delete all' button. 

 

Ad Aware was the worst. AUTO start with computer AND THEN a notification about buying the pro variant. WTF. Auto starting programs and ones that ask for money are literally the most visible issues PC repairman have to fix and clean up. 

 

 

 

Not to mention that both use business schemes now to hide and make confusing the versions you are downloading (some auto activate pro trials) and then ask you for money. It's clear that you are using the free version to a repairman. But its still none the less a bit hidden in terms of what it is you are 'using' in the sense of not knowing if the program changed to a paid model. 

post #6190 of 6626
Avast and AVG are the same way. They used to be GREAT, but then the Marketing department took over...
post #6191 of 6626
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

Avast and AVG are the same way. They used to be GREAT, but then the Marketing department took over...

I officially dislike Ad Aware

 

 

Malware Bytes transofmration....is standable. It is tricky in terms of just using the free version as it does have notifications and pop ups on money

 

 

But Ad Aware has officially become a malware by itself. Annoying, resource intensive as it does warnings and scans during startup boot, and constantly asks you to buy it despite me using the free version. 

post #6192 of 6626

New Malwarebytes UI is fine. It looks more up to date at least versus the old XP styled interface.

post #6193 of 6626
Thread Starter 
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post

New Malwarebytes UI is fine. It looks more up to date at least versus the old XP styled interface.
It scared me is what it was. Made me think it was a fake program that changed its name to look like MB.
post #6194 of 6626
Thread Starter 

Just downloaded Avira for a client computer. First time using it .....in like years

 

Good reviews as one of the better free AVs out there.

 

 

BUT WTF did they do to it? Did they crapify Consumerfi and make it mobile style popouts as well?

 

EDIT:

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1293462

 

Yep. They crapified consumerfied, signupfied first AVIRA.

 

 

Uninstalled you POS softwares that I used to always use. 

 

It only installs the dashboard thing when you 'install' AVIRA. You then need to go through another process of signing up and managing through online interface to get everything. 

 

 

 

Next trial AV. AVAST. 

 

EDIT:

 

WHAT THE FRICKING ****. AVASTs download link, links you to CNETs stupid adware laced installer platform. 

 

 

WHAT....THE ...HELL. 

 

edit:

 

Last chance for AVAST. Downloading it though Ninite. If it is also a piece of schiit-fi, consumer-fi, signup-fi software like AVIRA. It's going to the graveyard of software I never install on client builds or my own again. 


 

Finally got it. PSA for all those that need to instal AV for client builds but can't/don't use MSE. Use Ninite to get AVAST and unless you want a headache, don't go AVIRA. 


Edited by bowei006 - 7/23/14 at 7:52am
post #6195 of 6626

LOL. Don't mess with Avast, seriously. Last time I used it was three years ago when it spooked everyone in the bedroom when we're about to sleep. It says something like "virus definitions updated." Scary as ****, especially when it does it when you least expect it.

 

Just use something like MSE.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)