or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) - Page 382  

post #5716 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
 

Extremely excited for Computer 2014. I really want to see what Cryorig is doing/unveiling. They just walked in and already are giving Noctua a run for their money.

 

You and me both. I'm stoked to find out what's going to be coming out this year. Bring on the new processors, Intel! Plus DDR4 memory may make an appearance and we should probably see more M.2 SSDs. I'd love to see NVIDIA announce some details on the Maxwell GPUs but I doubt we'll see them just yet.

post #5717 of 9059

DDR4 is going to be an enormous tease since it will take it another 1-2 years to come to the mainstream market, even more to drop to a "reasonable" price. In other words, SoonTM. M.2 is very exciting. The move to PCIe based connections pleases me very much so.

post #5718 of 9059
Most if the noise that my PC makes is from:
1. The air flowing through the cage on the exhaust.
2. Stock Intel cooler
post #5719 of 9059
post #5720 of 9059

I quite like the black/yellow color choices. Unfortunately it's a bit too big and too expensive for what I'd want in a small cheap laptop. And I feel I'd want Chrome OS over Android. Plus, I do not want to own another HP device again.

post #5721 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

I quite like the black/yellow color choices. Unfortunately it's a bit too big and too expensive for what I'd want in a small cheap laptop. And I feel I'd want Chrome OS over Android. Plus, I do not want to own another HP device again.

For the price it really should offer more. If it had an i3 I'd take it as long as I had the option of installing another OS on it.

 

I just really don't have a use for a more powerful Ultrabook. It's unlikely I'd be playing games on it, and if I were, I'd have to be running Dolphin emulator (love those Wii games) which is extremely taxing and would require at least a decent GPU. i7 + Iris Pro is apparently able to run Dolphin very well which surprises me and tempts me to find an ultrabook that has that (although those price tags scare me).

 

Edit: now that I think about it I wouldn't use a Chromebook besides for listening to music, watching videos, and some web browsing so the current specs for the Slatebook 14 are fine, just the pricetag isn't.


Edited by HybridCore - 6/1/14 at 11:45am
post #5722 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
 

For the price it really should offer more. If it had an i3 I'd take it as long as I had the option of installing another OS on it.

 

I just really don't have a use for a more powerful Ultrabook. It's unlikely I'd be playing games on it, and if I were, I'd have to be running Dolphin emulator (love those Wii games) which is extremely taxing and would require at least a decent GPU. i7 + Iris Pro is apparently able to run Dolphin very well which surprises me and tempts me to find an ultrabook that has that (although those price tags scare me).

 

Edit: now that I think about it I wouldn't use a Chromebook besides for listening to music, watching videos, and some web browsing so the current specs for the Slatebook 14 are fine, just the pricetag isn't.

 

Yeah, if I could install OS X on it, for $400 it'd be worthwhile. HP does tend to make laptops that can be turned into a Hackintosh, but this isn't one of them. If I purchased another laptop it'd be a small 11" so I could have a light portable for trade shows. My MBP is just too bulky to lug it around and constantly messing with it when taking notes. A Chromebook seems ideal for that purpose. I'm watching for deals on a Chromebook or small laptop that can load OS X for a cheap Hackintosh Air. I doubt I'll be finding a used MBA for $200. But if I could get a small MBA for that price, that'd be my first choice over a Chromebook or Android laptop.

post #5723 of 9059
post #5724 of 9059

Sad, no Cryorig coverage.

post #5725 of 9059

http://www.overclock.net/t/1493621/gol-amds-opengl-performance-is-nothing-close-to-nvidia-on-this-benchmark

 

So yeah, how's green team doing over there?

post #5726 of 9059

hi guys.. im thinking about buying some small budget tube dac (aune t1). when i ask from the local seller, they said they dont hv aune t1, but they hv aune t1 mark 2. the difference is that now it uses nonsynchronous usb technology. i asked on the aune t1 thread but everybody seems to have the previous version. i tried googling but i couldnt find what it means as of yet.

 

is nonsynchronous usb technology a pc term...? can anybody teach me what it means...?

 

cheerss....

post #5727 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovopio View Post
 

hi guys.. im thinking about buying some small budget tube dac (aune t1). when i ask from the local seller, they said they dont hv aune t1, but they hv aune t1 mark 2. the difference is that now it uses nonsynchronous usb technology. i asked on the aune t1 thread but everybody seems to have the previous version. i tried googling but i couldnt find what it means as of yet.

 

is nonsynchronous usb technology a pc term...? can anybody teach me what it means...?

 

cheerss....

The correct terms are synchronous and asynchronous (which most call async).

 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365683(v=vs.85).aspx

 

http://www.inetdaemon.com/tutorials/basic_concepts/communication/asynchronous_vs_synchronous.shtml

 

The second source should be the easiest to understand, and then the first one will be easier to understand once you get the basic idea.

 

Most basic explanation:

 

synchronous: basically the classic game of pong or the sport of tennis, ping pong, etc. You send the signal and don't do anything until you get one back. ex. texting between you and another person. You don't respond until you get a reply.

 

asynchronous: sends a signal and then move onto something else while waiting for the response, but then switches back to that original task after receiving the responding signal. ex. Between texts you go and do your homework. Once you get that text back, you stop doing your hw and send another text. Then you resume to doing hw.

 

What the use is in audio: http://hifi-advice.com/USB-synchronous-asynchronous-info.html

 

Not sure if I can trust that source but it seems like something you can deduce from the basic definitions of async and sync I/O.

 

With sync I/O, your computer likes to send signals based off of its own timings and your USB controller in your DAC likes to send signals at its own clock. It's like people living in different time zones: you're okay to make phone calls to them at 9:00 PM EST while they, 12 hours ahead, like to make calls at 9:00 AM EST when you're still sleeping or have just gotten up.

 

With async I/O, the two take that spare time in between to adjust clock rates so that they match up. It's essentially like that friend in another time zone moving to your time zone or vice versa (or you meet up somewhere at the same place).

 

Ideally async makes the data transfer as seamless as possible so that every window of opportunity is used to send data instead of being confused over the different times the two USB controllers expect send/receive commands based on their own internal/system clocks.


Edited by HybridCore - 6/3/14 at 3:21pm
post #5728 of 9059

Keep in mind while some parts of the packets are lost without async or adaptive sync (hybrid between the two), you're probably going to never hear a difference because 1. these things have had a long time to refined and 2. unless the clocks are that different from each other, you'll never hear a difference.

 

So asynchronous really doesn't do much that you would ever notice. It's basically marketing fluff.

post #5729 of 9059

 

YeaH ... I'm really tempted to get a 4970 to play with but think I'm just going to wait until the next gen chips come out ... my 2700K at 5ghz is still doing everything I need ... and well at that ... going on three years now and so don't want to mess with a perfectly solid system.

 

Looks like a fun chip to play with though .. .can't wait to read some of the reviews/overclocking logs ...

post #5730 of 9059

after understanding the explanation of async vs sync, i feel that i dont think that average music listener (not hardcore hobby-ist) would be able to differentiate between normal usb and async usb technology...

 

is it bad that i think that way?

 

btw, im building my second pc at the moment. on my first pc, i tried plugging in my headphone directly without dac/amp from the back and try it from the front case also. if i dont pay attention to it, i barely hear any differences between the two.

 

is that also your experience...?

 

maybe there are some more interference connecting it in the front case plug but, i think commonly speaking, it's pretty indiscernible.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)