or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) - Page 376  

post #5626 of 9059
test
post #5627 of 9059
Oh yeah my 3tb Seagate drive died a month ago, about 8 months I've had it... Fuçk that.
post #5628 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

The thing with new things is that it takes people time to learn it and get used to it. That is the biggest issue

 

HOWEVER, it seems Microsoft seems to bank and believe that that is the only real issue with 8 and 8.1, that people haven't adjusted to the newer way of how things work (integration and full screen always on top style). But no, its not just that. Like Haiburi says, the Metro Apps are a pain in the ass to use for power users(although Microsoft gives power users the option of learning keyboard commands to forgo using or seeing Metro). But all in all, Microsoft is trying to create a middle road for multiple types of users, they aren't doing it poorly but they aren't doing it well either.

 

They are trying to overlay a fully mobile experience and distinction and put it on the desktop. The naming schemes of new tablets and products show this quite well.

 

I prefer what Apple is doing in keeping the desktop experience, and pushing mobile products and experiences onto it that helps it blend together (without the user knowing often) in different UI functionality and ways that don't make the desktop experience schiit.

Check out the new start menu coming this summer/autumn.  They made a smart compromise for desktop users!  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

War Thunder Ground Forces is out for open public

 

 

 

 

My mini ITX build is ready to rock once I get home.

 

Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced Mini-ITX Gaming Chasis

CPU: Intel Core i5 Haswell 4430 3GHz CPU (more or less comparable to the 4670/k that everyone likes, but I got mine for $150 less)

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition OC'd to 1200MHz Core/1350MHz Memory

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz

PSU: OZC ModXStreamPro 700W Modular (only because I am reusing parts)

Mobo: Asrock H81-M ITX Motherboard

SSD: Seagate 600 Series 240GB (leading speeds for its tier)

HDD: Segate 1TB 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Congrats, good thing you went with modular lol...  How much did your i5 cost???  :blink:

Nothing wrong with Seagate imo :D  Maybe I am the odd one, but most of my WD drives die before my Seagate ones

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthesauce View Post
 

Doesn't everyone hit the start key and start typing in the programme name and just hit enter when it comes up?

 

I've been doing that since XP days; much faster than flying through menus with a mouse and it works exactly the same with Win8.  I guess since I don't use any Metro programmes and Live Tiles mean nothing to me (seriously...you're going to keep it on the 'start menu' and wait for whatever information to cycle back around?) that Win8 doesn't bother me too much.

 

 

 

I do.  You're right, way faster than going through context menus (especially versions prior to Vista...)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezon View Post
 

Now that's just asking for trouble.

 

Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB

2010-2014  (Purchased it used, 2008 drive).  No new damaged sectors (all were there when I purchased it).

post #5629 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post


What's wrong with Seagate?
I feel like a stereotypical white chick with Starbucks. Anyway, my PSU got here!!!

Nothing is wrong with Seagate ;)

Congrats, looks like the same PSU I will be getting over the weekend haha.  Let me know how it is

 

Wait.. White chick with Starbucks?  

post #5630 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post


What's wrong with Seagate?
I feel like a stereotypical white chick with Starbucks. Anyway, my PSU got here!!!

Seagate drives are known for for having a high failure rate.

 

This is just an example you can google for more.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

post #5631 of 9059
I'd love to see what causes these failures. I've had over 10, internal, 7200 RPM Seagate drives spanning ~16 years now and none have ever failed. I have had WD (still works) and a Maxtor drive as well and the Maxtor failed after ~8 years, it was a whopping 40GBs!

My best guesses as to why are:

1) I'm lucky
2) I set my drives to never spin down
3) I have at least paid a little attention to keeping the drives cool with good cable routing (IDE cables blocked tons of airflow) and fan placement.
4) I don't move my computers around much at all once they're built.
5) I haven't really bought any of their lower priced drives, I usually get the ones with the most cache memory, etc.
post #5632 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinarc View Post

I'd love to see what causes these failures. I've had over 10, internal, 7200 RPM Seagate drives spanning ~16 years now and none have ever failed. I have had WD (still works) and a Maxtor drive as well and the Maxtor failed after ~8 years, it was a whopping 40GBs!

My best guesses as to why are:

1) I'm lucky
2) I set my drives to never spin down
3) I have at least paid a little attention to keeping the drives cool with good cable routing (IDE cables blocked tons of airflow) and fan placement.
4) I don't move my computers around much at all once they're built.
5) I haven't really bought any of their lower priced drives, I usually get the ones with the most cache memory, etc.

 

Same, except for (2).  A couple of my systems never spin down, otherwise they are subject to whatever is default on the OS.  Seagate has been good to me, so had WD.  I had 2 faulty WD drives altogether, but they were very old.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezon View Post
 

Seagate drives are known for for having a high failure rate.

 

This is just an example you can google for more.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

 

Really depends on how and where the data was aggregated.  Were the failures from identical machines?  So many variables, many conclusions to be made from this data :D

post #5633 of 9059
That graph follows seagate everywhere lol. Weren't the sample sizes really awkward in that? I can't open the link here, but Panda talked about it in the AAMML thread.
post #5634 of 9059

My god BF4 still blows.  Only playing it because there's a livestream and I just got the memory leak for the first time ever  on new drivers.... FUUU

 

Pretty damn lame it just happened again


Edited by linglingjr - 5/16/14 at 4:56pm
post #5635 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post

My god BF4 still blows.  Only playing it because there's a livestream and I just got the memory leak for the first time ever  on new drivers.... FUUU


 



Dat DICE programming skill........
post #5636 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post

Nothing is wrong with Seagate wink.gif
Congrats, looks like the same PSU I will be getting over the weekend haha.  Let me know how it is

Wait.. White chick with Starbucks?  
You're in good ol' 'Murican, right? Stereotypically, white citizens of the opposite species imeangender, are obsessed with Instagram, Starbucks, and iPhones. They're always Instagramming their fancy-schmancy cups of Starbucks.
EDIT: Oh, you're getting the same PSU? It's the EVGA NEX650G.
Edited by ibob4tacoz - 5/16/14 at 4:44pm
post #5637 of 9059

I need your input on this:

Should I add an SSD to my rig

 or

Upgrade my audio gear?

post #5638 of 9059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezon View Post
 

Seagate drives are known for for having a high failure rate.

 

This is just an example you can google for more.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

 

/i knew someone would post that image. That image is absolutely useless. I explained it once here and twice in the AAMML thread already. The company and person who put that up even mentioned in his full report that the data isn't really useful for most people. This is because the application style, process, and drives they used were highly specific.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post
 

Check out the new start menu coming this summer/autumn.  They made a smart compromise for desktop users!  

 

Congrats, good thing you went with modular lol...  How much did your i5 cost???  :blink:

Nothing wrong with Seagate imo :D  Maybe I am the odd one, but most of my WD drives die before my Seagate ones

 

I do.  You're right, way faster than going through context menus (especially versions prior to Vista...)

 

 

 

Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB

2010-2014  (Purchased it used, 2008 drive).  No new damaged sectors (all were there when I purchased it).

I got the i5 for $99 ;) I got Staples to pricematch a Fry's ad.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutDeflector View Post
 

I need your input on this:

Should I add an SSD to my rig

 or

Upgrade my audio gear?

Depends on what you currently have for audio gear.

 

But I personally would do SSD

post #5639 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post


You're in good ol' 'Murican, right? Stereotypically, white citizens of the opposite species imeangender, are obsessed with Instagram, Starbucks, and iPhones. They're always Instagramming their fancy-schmancy cups of Starbucks.
EDIT: Oh, you're getting the same PSU? It's the EVGA NEX650G.

Hmm, I now see why my little brother likes starbucks. 

I think its the same one.  I will find out sometime this weekend, buying it off someone.  The box looked identical, same wattage.  He said he paid $80 for it, on Amazon the NEX650G is $85..  :biggrin:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutDeflector View Post
 

I need your input on this:

Should I add an SSD to my rig

 or

Upgrade my audio gear?

Depends on what your system is used for, and what you currently have for storage/audio.  If you find yourself gaming a lot you might as well go with audio first, especially if you are on integrated. 

If you are multitasking with heavy applications you probably want to get an SSD.  I do not listen to music when I have Matlab/Microstation/etc open, but I appreciate the SSD because I get work done faster.

 

IMO having an SSD is great, but it could be something you would not appreciate as much.  

If you care about audio, and I assume you do, get an external DAC/Amp.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 

My god BF4 still blows.  Only playing it because there's a livestream and I just got the memory leak for the first time ever  on new drivers.... FUUU

 

Pretty damn lame it just happened again

I have an unopened retail copy of BF4, have yet to register the serial....  Not sure what is going on, because DICE is generally excellent.

post #5640 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

/i knew someone would post that image. That image is absolutely useless. I explained it once here and twice in the AAMML thread already. The company and person who put that up even mentioned in his full report that the data isn't really useful for most people. This is because the application style, process, and drives they used were highly specific.

 

I got the i5 for $99 ;) I got Staples to pricematch a Fry's ad.

 

Depends on what you currently have for audio gear.

 

But I personally would do SSD


I've had 4 seagates and 1 wd die on me. For your own sake, I hope that you're right. Backup just in case.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)