Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) - Page 4

post #46 of 6091

Sold my ZX700's and 7509's. The dude I sold the 7509's to didn't even leave me feedback. angry_face.gif

 

When I got this card, I was a little afraid that my CPU would bottleneck any large performance upgrade over my 6670. A lot of benchmarks suggested my POS Athlon II would net like half the overall performance a i5 processor would give with the same GPU. Thankfully that wasn't the case!

 

Also, since PC gaming threads are nothing without some eye candy:

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

Really a shame I can't get into The Witcher 2...

post #47 of 6091
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukuk View Post

Sold my ZX700's and 7509's. The dude I sold the 7509's to didn't even leave me feedback. angry_face.gif

 

When I got this card, I was a little afraid that my CPU would bottleneck any large performance upgrade over my 6670. A lot of benchmarks suggested my POS Athlon II would net like half the overall performance a i5 processor would give with the same GPU. Thankfully that wasn't the case!

 

Also, since PC gaming threads are nothing without some eye candy:

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

Really a shame I can't get into The Witcher 2...

You are still getting a performance cap. Most popuar PC games are games that do good with a good CPU with good quad core pipelineing, execution, and etc.  But you still got a good boost either way

 

How much are you selling the old 6670 for?

post #48 of 6091

I ended up giving it to my dad. Not really sure why he wanted it, since the only real game he plays is the first Everquest, and my old 4650 I gave him before did that just fine.

 

Maybe I'll sneak Skyrim on his computer and let him take a crack at that.

post #49 of 6091
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukuk View Post

I ended up giving it to my dad. Not really sure why he wanted it, since the only real game he plays is the first Everquest, and my old 4650 I gave him before did that just fine.

 

Maybe I'll sneak Skyrim on his computer and let him take a crack at that.

Skyrim!!! :)

loved that game

 

I also loved The Witcher 2 :)

 

Try Dishonored, quite a good game dare I say. AC3 also looks pretty amazing

post #50 of 6091
Thread Starter 

I just wanted to let you know that you do also realize that the 7850 is faster than the GTX 650 Ti while being the same price right?

post #51 of 6091

Just ripped through Dishonored recently. I thought it was pretty neat, though for whatever reason I have a hard time getting interested in first person games with stealth elements. Not a problem with 3rd person games, but games like Crysis 2, Deus Ex, Dishonored, and many others had me bored about 2 hours in.

 

Assassin's Creed 3, though, I am excited for. My video card came with a free voucher for it, but for whatever reason, Ubisoft doesn't know how to do PC releases, so all their PC versions come out late. It's frustrating. mad.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

I just wanted to let you know that you do also realize that the 7850 is faster than the GTX 650 Ti while being the same price right?

 

It also runs hotter, draws more power, and runs louder. Plus, most of them are priced $200-$220, plus shipping, while mine was $170 shipped, and came with a much more interesting free game.

 

EDIT: Oh, and AMD drivers are crap. Since the Nvidia drivers are so much lighter, my computer ends up booting a lot faster than it ever did with an AMD card.


Edited by Kukuk - 11/13/12 at 12:56pm
post #52 of 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-sli,2298-6.html

 

From the looks of it, the GTX 275 in Sli 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

 

Ranks up to the 7850 of this generation. This card is $160 and has more features, more acceleration, DX11, warranty, newness, and can probably even handle most games better.

 

Buying a SLI motherboard isn't expensive but the cheapest motherboard you should go implying you are using a Phenom II 900 Series with graphics at that speed anyway would be $80($55 are all m-atx motherboards that are good) and at $80, even if you could get another 275 for say $90, it would still cost more than the new card, not to mention you would now have an inferior motherboard, that motherboard may not be good, and that used card may have problems. The majority of AM3 motherboards have since been phased out on newegg and buying a used motherboard from ebay? On newegg, the majority of new AM3 motherboards are not that good. Last month the ECS motherboard with AM3 was given out for free so that newegg could thin their stock.

 

Basically if you want to get a cheap good AM3 motherboard and GTX275, you coan go ahead. It will probably ring up to $120 at the cheapest but also comes with a whole slew of headaches of will it work, are there any problems they aren't telling me and etc.

 

Just get a good 7850 at $165, not to mention it also has a good overclocking headroom and you may even be able to get a 7870 on deal time for about the same price this black friday.

 

Personally, I would not want all the headaches from buying used especially in parts that are 2+ years old. You could not only get a faster card, that card would have resale potential, black friday is comming up, that card has all the new acceleration features, DX11, brownie points and etc.

 

That's pretty much what I was thinking but I figured it was worth checking before parting with any cash! Shame I'm in the UK though as we don't have black Friday.

 

Thanks for the advice!

post #53 of 6091
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyB16 View Post

 

That's pretty much what I was thinking but I figured it was worth checking before parting with any cash! Shame I'm in the UK though as we don't have black Friday.

 

Thanks for the advice!

Check some prices then. The $160 7850 I was talking about is a U.S price AFTER the card and brand specific U.S only Mail in Rebate. Check out some used prices if you would like but I personally wouldn't care for the headache anyway.

post #54 of 6091

CPU: 3570k @ 4.5 ghz

CPU Cooler: Phantek PH-TC14PE ( White)

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z77

GPU: 2 GTX 670 SLI

RAM: 16 GB of 1600 speed Corsair LP ram

SDD: 128 M4

HDD: 1tb Cav. Black ( want a couple more for music ^_~)

Case: NZXT Switch 810

PSU:  Corsair 1200 Gold Rated 

Sound Card: Creative Ti. HD

Amp:  Schiit Asgard

 

Once I get into more Graphic Design and Animation I will probably upgrade my CPU/motherboard to a 6 or 8 core Intel CPU here in a few years as well as trade out my 670s for the 7XX or 8XX series and try to get one powerful card for the renders etc.

 

Games I have been playing : Chivalry, War of the Roses, League of Legends, BF3, Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Atelier series games, a few visual novels, Firefly, Aion Online, Guild Wars 2, WarZ, and the list goes on and on. I play a lot of games at a time to keep me from getting bored. 

 

 

EDIT- also have a Yamakasi Catleap 2560x1440 Monitor


Edited by KCxSmacker - 11/16/12 at 11:11am
post #55 of 6091

My E8400/2G ram/XP Pro/HD4850 can't handle The Witcher 2 at anything above low settings @ 720p with mild stuttering, so IT CAN GO DIE. Strangers on the internet can play with my almost exact setup at max settings, I have the latest ATI drivers, so maybe it's the old Caviar Black doing the bottlenecking. Or aliens.

 

I really want to hold off until next year before building a new rig. Originally, I planned on a budget i3/HD7850 rig, but may want to splurge a bit since I also want to get a high res 27-30" Dell IPS.

post #56 of 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosia View Post

My E8400/2G ram/XP Pro/HD4850 can't handle The Witcher 2 at anything above low settings @ 720p with mild stuttering, so IT CAN GO DIE. Strangers on the internet can play with my almost exact setup at max settings, I have the latest ATI drivers, so maybe it's the old Caviar Black doing the bottlenecking. Or aliens.

 

I really want to hold off until next year before building a new rig. Originally, I planned on a budget i3/HD7850 rig, but may want to splurge a bit since I also want to get a high res 27-30" Dell IPS.

What speed is the hard drive? There is no way these "strangers" would come even close to max settings. there is no way. Ram an cpu upgrade needed badly and the GPU needs an up too. My 6850 before my upgrade only played high settings at hardly 30 fps  on a 720p monitor

post #57 of 6091

They were likely lying or exaggerating, then. I was able to run it on max briefly, but once the open-world portion open up (get to the temple), it was unplayable. The "recommended" system requirements listed for the developer are crap, the game looks terrible outside of max spec. The text is barely clear on medium.

 

E8400

WinXP Pro SP3

500GB 7200RPM Caviar Black

2G Ram

HD4850 512MB


Edited by Kirosia - 11/16/12 at 11:30am
post #58 of 6091
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosia View Post

My E8400/2G ram/XP Pro/HD4850 can't handle The Witcher 2 at anything above low settings @ 720p with mild stuttering, so IT CAN GO DIE. Strangers on the internet can play with my almost exact setup at max settings, I have the latest ATI drivers, so maybe it's the old Caviar Black doing the bottlenecking. Or aliens.

 

I really want to hold off until next year before building a new rig. Originally, I planned on a budget i3/HD7850 rig, but may want to splurge a bit since I also want to get a high res 27-30" Dell IPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosia View Post

They were likely lying or exaggerating, then. I was able to run it on max briefly, but once the open-world portion open up (get to the temple), it was unplayable. The "recommended" system requirements listed for the developer are crap, the game looks terrible outside of max spec. The text is barely clear on medium.

 

E8400

WinXP Pro SP3

500GB 7200RPM Caviar Black

2G Ram

HD4850 512MB

My 5770 is comparable to a 4870 but with more acceleration that may affect performance. I can run on high with 1080p and a good amount of goodies with 30FPS which is the recommended.

 

I run 6GB DDR3 of RAM and a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 revision 125W CPU

post #59 of 6091

I seem to have bad luck with games in general, Rage for example was completely broken graphically. I consider switching to the darkside (Nvidia), but as far as I know, they  have a terrible batting average too, just with different games. Borderlands 2, Darksiders 2, Dishonored, all ran fine at either 720 or 1080p high settings.


Edited by Kirosia - 11/16/12 at 4:20pm
post #60 of 6091
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosia View Post

I seem to have bad luck with games in general, Rage for example was completely broken graphically. I consider switching to the darkside (Nvidia), but as far as I know, they  have a terrible batting average too, just with different games. Borderlands 2, Darksiders 2, Dishonored, all ran fine at 720 or 1080p high settings.

You have to learn how to get games working and everything :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)