or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) - Page 270  

post #4036 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Wut? How do you know?
Checked everything, and all of it worked except for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryLeak View Post

Replaced both? Without testing either?
Well, yeah...
post #4037 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post


Checked everything, and all of it worked except for them.
Well, yeah...

 

Did you have a rig to throw the cpu in to check? Not sure if it would have saved you time or not, if you RMA'd at the same place.

post #4038 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post

Yay dude you're the only one here that has water cooling that ISN'T one of the wussy little corsiar closed loops! lol nice rig though.

 

His is the best, and certainly a system that makes me drool over with envy...but the ONLY one here? Something tells me I forgot to post what I put together over the last few months:

 

 

 

Yes, I'm aware of that one kinked tube. It wasn't kinked when I first put it in, only when I filled and bled the loop. Tubing can be a pain sometimes, and because I don't have QD fittings, I'm reluctant to drain and fill the whole thing again. Angled compression fittings on the Raystorm block would probably help a lot with the kinking problem.

 

I also apologize for the awful Galaxy S III camera quality.

 

Still, even with the maintenance involved and the fact that it's a HUGE money sink (still want QDs and compression fittings in general, and those add up fast)...I'm reluctant to go back. It makes working around the CPU socket area so much easier, and it performs a lot better, too...albeit not enough to keep the 4770K from hitting the throttling point under the Vcore required for 4.5 GHz or higher under Prime95 28.1 or LinX 0.6.5, so I keep it at a modest 4.4 GHz, 1.22V. Damn thing needs a delid badly. Stronger fans on that Black Ice GTX 360 might also help too (it's currently packing SFF21Fs in push because that's what I had lying around).

 

Someone elsewhere actually thought my 4770K was an awful overclocker just from only knowing it was 4.4 GHz and under water...well, it's still a lot better than that craptastic 4670K I started out with, but I'd probably hit 4.5 or even 4.6 GHz with ease if they'd just soldered the IHS on, I'm sure. But I can't bring myself to risk breaking that 4770K yet, either.

post #4039 of 9059

Angle fittings man. Best $8 you'll spend if you water cool. My system is getting rather long in the tooth tbh. It kinda needs an update but there's still nothing really worth updating too. I suppose picking up a cheap i7 4770k and deliding it wouldn't be a bad decision. Might get 5Ghz outta that under my loop...if I don't crush it. Even WC isn't gonna cool a stock 4770k if you ramp it up, it's the stupid rubbish TIM intel are using these days. Gotta remove that stuff and replace it with something decent.


Edited by Tangster - 1/12/14 at 2:28am
post #4040 of 9059
How much would you guys think a decent water cooling loop would be?
post #4041 of 9059

Looking good Nameless, I would for sure fix the kink, Tygon is good stuff. Just throw an anti-kink coil over it and you should be good to go.

post #4042 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post

How much would you guys think a decent water cooling loop would be?

~$200-300.

Iirc my loop cost about £350-400 total.


Edited by Tangster - 1/12/14 at 8:23am
post #4043 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

~$200-300.
Iirc my loop cost about £350-400 total.
Ouch. Does this price include GPU waterblock, CPU block, radiator, pump, etc.?
post #4044 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post


Ouch. Does this price include GPU waterblock, CPU block, radiator, pump, etc.?

Yep. Full loop.

 

Tubing

Fittings

GPU block(or two/three)

CPU block

Pump (DDC or D5)

Rad (or two)

Reservoir

 

I dunno what price WC gear is in the US, but $200-$300 seems pretty reasonable if you pick up the rads/blocks/pump 2nd hand. Otherwise...maybe $300-$500 if you're doing a full loop.


Edited by Tangster - 1/12/14 at 8:41am
post #4045 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

Yep. Full loop.

Tubing
Fittings
GPU block(or two/three)
CPU block
Pump (DDC or D5)
Rad (or two)
Reservoir

I dunno what price WC gear is in the US, but $200-$300 seems pretty reasonable if you pick up the rads/blocks/pump 2nd hand. Otherwise...maybe $300-$500 if you're doing a full loop.
Ah. Well, it was a concept for me. I don't have the money or experience in this area, but it didn't hurt to inquire.
post #4046 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post


Ah. Well, it was a concept for me. I don't have the money or experience in this area, but it didn't hurt to inquire.

You can always do it modularly. Buyt the parts for a CPU loop first and add the GPU when you have the time and cash.

post #4047 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
 

You can always do it modularly. Buyt the parts for a CPU loop first and add the GPU when you have the time and cash.

True, but is it easy? Will a 13 year old (I'm relatively tech/build savvy though) be able to do it? What are the chances of the stuff leaking?

post #4048 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post
 

True, but is it easy? Will a 13 year old (I'm relatively tech/build savvy though) be able to do it? What are the chances of the stuff leaking?

Fairly easy. I haven't done it but I've looked into it for awhile.

 

Also, there's a reason you do leak testing.

 

I don't get why people like compression fittings. They look pretty bad to me. The reusable hose clamps from Lamptron and Bitspower looks really clean though. Monsoon fittings are...okay...


Edited by HybridCore - 1/12/14 at 10:41am
post #4049 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
 

Fairly easy. I haven't done it but I've looked into it for awhile.

 

Also, there's a reason you do leak testing.

 

I don't get why people like compression fittings. They look pretty bad to me. The reusable hose clamps from Lamptron and Bitspower looks really clean though. Monsoon fittings are...okay...

I don't like the look of the clamps. Prefer the perfect symmetry of a entirely round compression ring. Not too keen on monsoon fittings either. For me it's either barbs with extra tight hose (eg, TTL's builds) or compression fittings.

post #4050 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
 

I don't like the look of the clamps. Prefer the perfect symmetry of a entirely round compression ring. Not too keen on monsoon fittings either. For me it's either barbs with extra tight hose (eg, TTL's builds) or compression fittings.

I am with you. My last build was just barbs, very clean look.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)