or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) - Page 268  

post #4006 of 9059
Anyone going to be in this rounds weekend beta for Elder Scrolls Online? This'll be my second one, wouldn't mind running with some other members.
post #4007 of 9059
I have a code but cant use it with Linux and stuff, anyone wanna use mine?
post #4008 of 9059

Woooo I am all about this thread!

 

It's outdated now, but it was fun to build! Been running @ 4.8 since birth.

 

Can't embed pics yet I guess hehe.

 


Edited by MemoryLeak - 1/12/14 at 8:21am
post #4009 of 9059

I've been wanting to try the beta and have been left out of this round again.  Been waiting for an overseas friend to wake up so he can give me his extra key, but I'd be willing to take that off your hands.  It would be much appreciated, as I'll have some time most likely to play this weekend :D.

post #4010 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryLeak View Post
 

Woooo I am all about this thread!

 

It's outdated now, but it was fun to build! Been running @ 4.8 since birth.

 

Can't embed pics yet I guess hehe.

 

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h323/osirisusedtheforce/SYSTEMS/TheGrid.png

Holy crap... and guys he got some Sennhesiers by his pc :D

 

welcome to the club xD I think despite it being out dated... you might have one of the top 3 fastest rigs here :O 

post #4011 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryLeak View Post
 

Woooo I am all about this thread!

 

It's outdated now, but it was fun to build! Been running @ 4.8 since birth.

 

Can't embed pics yet I guess hehe.

 

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h323/osirisusedtheforce/SYSTEMS/TheGrid.png

Specs list? 

post #4012 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryLeak View Post
 

Woooo I am all about this thread!

 

It's outdated now, but it was fun to build! Been running @ 4.8 since birth.

 

Can't embed pics yet I guess hehe.

 

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h323/osirisusedtheforce/SYSTEMS/TheGrid.png

Yay dude you're the only one here that has water cooling that ISN'T one of the wussy little corsiar closed loops! lol nice rig though. 

 

EDIT: I saw this thing last night and can't believe the amount of drooling idiots saying "This is the wave of the future" It's only a way to pay probably 3-4x as much for hardware.  Sure it looks kind of cool but this isn't practical at all, it's a shame to see all this work going into something so.... pointless.

 

Face palm material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E61feV3zLAE

I love how a SINGLE ssd takes up an entire "modular"  I bet you'd be paying like $4 per gig with ssds and at least $1 gig for hdd. I'd be amazed if they let you swap drives at all (open the modules)  I wouldn't be surprised if the used soldered in cpus either.  What a waste.


Edited by linglingjr - 1/10/14 at 7:40am
post #4013 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Holy crap... and guys he got some Sennhesiers by his pc :D

 

welcome to the club xD I think despite it being out dated... you might have one of the top 3 fastest rigs here :O 

 

Maybe...but I got over that pissing contest in 2002 hahah.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

Specs list? 

 

(1) Intel i7 3960X
(1) ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

(2) EVGA GTX 680 2GB
(8) G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 2133 CAS11 DDR-3 4GB
(1) Corsair AX1200 1200w Modular PSU

(1) Corsair 800D

(2) Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD in RAID0

(2) Samsung Spinpoint 2TB 7200RPM in RAID1


(1) EK ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Full Board Block Kit Acetal + Electroless Nickel
(1) EK Supreme HF w/2011 Hardware Rev 3 Acetal + Electroless Nickel
(6) Bitspower Matte Black Dual Rotary 45 Degree Compression Fitting
(6) Bitspower Matte Black Compression Fittings
(1) XSPC Black Dual Bay Reservoir w/ Swiftech MCP655
(1) Coolgate Single CG120
(1) Coolgate Triple CG360
(4) Scythe Gentle Typhoon Ultra High Speed D1225C12B5AP-15

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 

Yay dude you're the only one here that has water cooling that ISN'T one of the wussy little corsiar closed loops! lol nice rig though. 

 

EDIT: I saw this thing last night and can't believe the amount of drooling idiots saying "This is the wave of the future" It's only a way to pay probably 3-4x as much for hardware.  Sure it looks kind of cool but this isn't practical at all, it's a shame to see all this work going into something so.... pointless.

 

Face palm material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E61feV3zLAE

I love how a SINGLE ssd takes up an entire "modular"  I bet you'd be paying like $4 per gig with ssds and at least $1 gig for hdd. I'd be amazed if they let you swap drives at all (open the modules)  I wouldn't be surprised if the used soldered in cpus either.  What a waste.

 

This is definitely NOT the wave of the future! Rig's like that aren't about being practical in any way, shape, or form. They are a fun (albiet expensive) hobby, especially for those who like to tinker. Compile time is almost non-existent with that workstation, it render's well too. Not as fast as a small cluster could though.

post #4014 of 9059

I know seasonic has a great reputation for PSUs, but anyone ever dive into the realm of budget models?

 

Went from a Gigabyte to a Raidmax a few years back in one of my systems.  No issues so far..  Same with a Rosewill I got on BF.  No whines or inconsistencies with single card configurations.

 

Getting a premium PSU is not too much of an issue when buying for an already expensive setup, but I do feel less willing when said setup is several years old. 

 

On a separate note, one of my 500GB drives is about 6.5 years old.  wmic and smart are OK, but running time is 3x the average.  250-ish bad sectors, but same number since the day I bought the drive.  (Bought it out of USA, and was cheap.  I would imagine it was a 'binned' drive, considering the shop sold it to me without a label)


Its actually running pretty healthy, gets 100-180 MBps in Windows transfers.  I'm wondering if I should get a green drive to backup the data.  At the same time, I am doubting the quality of the options available today.  My 1.5TB is only 1 years old and now seems to have power up issues....  Both are Seagate

post #4015 of 9059
Thread Starter 

I'm Mr. Budget right here

 

Out of all the PSU's I've bought in my life, most were units that aren't recommended on 'enthusiast' news sites.

 

Out of all of them. Only one has failed to make it past 2 years. Everyone of them else has been running for as long as I've been buying them.

 

Consumers don't overclock or do any weird schiit and it really just doesn't matter when I build rigs for them

 

It's a slightly different story for when I do gaming builds. However even then, I'm still fine with using Rosewill, OCZ, Corsair, even if they don't use the highest quality manu's. Obviously if a PSU comes on sale with the features and specs I need and is a Seasonic rebrand at the right price, I'll grab that one.

 

But otherwise, for the most part, PSU's have the lest' return' imo. 

post #4016 of 9059
I have the Seasonic Plat 1000W PSU in my "big" computer, it came in a velvet bag and everything haha. It is overkill though for an already overkill PC. I have had many budget power supplies and as long as its in the $40-80 range and not some grey $10 OEM deal, they all seem to do just fine.


As for HDD, I have only ever had one fail on me and it was a 10 yr old 20GB drive. I typically only buy Seagates as they have always been good to me. I hope their QC hasn't been slipping.
post #4017 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 

Yay dude you're the only one here that has water cooling that ISN'T one of the wussy little corsiar closed loops! lol nice rig though. 

 

EDIT: I saw this thing last night and can't believe the amount of drooling idiots saying "This is the wave of the future" It's only a way to pay probably 3-4x as much for hardware.  Sure it looks kind of cool but this isn't practical at all, it's a shame to see all this work going into something so.... pointless.

 

Face palm material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E61feV3zLAE

I love how a SINGLE ssd takes up an entire "modular"  I bet you'd be paying like $4 per gig with ssds and at least $1 gig for hdd. I'd be amazed if they let you swap drives at all (open the modules)  I wouldn't be surprised if the used soldered in cpus either.  What a waste.

Obviously the price is horrific, and it will be for the next year or two, that said I think it's a good idea. A entirely Modular PC would be wonderfully simple, chances are you could more than likely optimizie it to run with only Air Cooling, each compent is housed with it's own air unit. You really eliminate the need for a "case air flow" as each compent vents into the open air, ofc how do you protect, heck make the fans modular for easy cleaning. 

 

I like the idea, maybe in a few years it'll be something worth while to invest into! And how is it pointless, heck Modular PSU are wonderful, I own one. Applying that concept of simple addition of units isn't a bad idea, and I'm sure a you could fit 2-3 SSD into one "module" it's a concept don't be so critical of it lol... or do be critical of it and in a few years I'll enjoy running a OC Modular PC on air :3 

 

My only concern if ofc the price, but with time everything gets cheaper 

post #4018 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post
 

I know seasonic has a great reputation for PSUs, but anyone ever dive into the realm of budget models?

What is this "budget" you speak of?

 

No, I tend to buy fairly high quality PSU's and do the same with my other components(at least with regards to their power circuitry) although this is mostly because I like to see how far I can push stuff in overclocking. I've killed my fair share of components doing so (schiittones of RAM sticks, 9600GT, AMD Phenom 1050, Intel Core i7 920, ASUS P6T, Intel Core i7 2600K in the last 4 years).

 

I like the extra overhead for watercooling too. the pumps so take a little bit more power than you might expect.


Edited by Tangster - 1/10/14 at 1:32pm
post #4019 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
 

What is this "budget" you speak of?

 

No, I tend to buy fairly high quality PSU's and do the same with my other components(at least with regards to their power circuitry) although this is mostly because I like to see how far I can push stuff in overclocking. I've killed my fair share of components doing so (schiittones of RAM sticks, 9600GT, AMD Phenom 1050, Intel Core i7 920, ASUS P6T, Intel Core i7 2600K in the last 4 years).

... I wonder what does a fried RAM Module look like :O 

post #4020 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

... I wonder what does a fried RAM Module look like :O 

Slightly blackened and has that memorable burned silicon smell. Most just end up failing slowly though. Not had that many go pop, usually it'll seem fine, then my PC will become less and less stable before the next time it's booted, the BIOS detects less RAM than before.


Edited by Tangster - 1/10/14 at 1:35pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)