or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) - Page 246  

post #3676 of 9059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlylover View Post

Ooooh, sounds like you got it sorted.
Not really. I keep having the same problem every few hours. The DAC crashing and how it showed the same crash symptoms more or less told me and confirmed what others were saying about 8.1 and driver issues :/
post #3677 of 9059
Thread Starter 

I've had enough. Chrome is messing up and crashing now as well.

 

Anytime one program in 8.1 freezes, the entire OS freezes. Right now, a few extensions of Chrome are 'enabled' but aren't initiating correctlyl.

 

Downloading my Univ Win 8 x64 like I had before now. 

 

Screw you Windows 8.1

post #3678 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

I've had enough. Chrome is messing up and crashing now as well.

 

Anytime one program in 8.1 freezes, the entire OS freezes. Right now, a few extensions of Chrome are 'enabled' but aren't initiating correctlyl.

 

Downloading my Univ Win 8 x64 like I had before now. 

 

Screw you Windows 8.1

What were they trying to "fix" in the update? I've been out of the loop for a while...

post #3679 of 9059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

What were they trying to "fix" in the update? I've been out of the loop for a while...

Start button brought back

Revamp of Charms bar and function

More Desktop like and less metro for 8.1

Discontnued some past apps that were deemed uncrucial anymore(WEI got taken out but still functions through cmd)

 

............it broke support for a few companies though and some users are getting some problems. 

 

I'm getting one of the symptoms of 8.1's bugs. What leads to the bug differs from user to user from what I'm reading online. But one thing stays the same. Something in software and drivers triggers the 8.1 bug of total OS freeze or inability to use certain inputs or only mouse moves.

 

Anyway, installing regular 8 now.

post #3680 of 9059
Thread Starter 

 

Dat moment you realize that your CPU is now the bottleneck.

 

Anyway. Crossfire isn't initated in/by Windows Experience Index so don't mind that measley 7.9

post #3681 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

Start button brought back

Revamp of Charms bar and function

More Desktop like and less metro for 8.1

Discontnued some past apps that were deemed uncrucial anymore(WEI got taken out but still functions through cmd)

 

............it broke support for a few companies though and some users are getting some problems. 

 

I'm getting one of the symptoms of 8.1's bugs. What leads to the bug differs from user to user from what I'm reading online. But one thing stays the same. Something in software and drivers triggers the 8.1 bug of total OS freeze or inability to use certain inputs or only mouse moves.

 

Anyway, installing regular 8 now.

Hmm, interesting. I've used Win8 since launch, but I just use the "Start8" app and live on the desktop. I think I'll stay away from 8.1 until this mess is solved. WEI is pretty useless, it's really not a serious benchmark at all. Matter of fact, I think it was deemed more as a marketing tool for gaming if memory serves, but some Joe thought he was being clever using it as a standard lol.

post #3682 of 9059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Hmm, interesting. I've used Win8 since launch, but I just use the "Start8" app and live on the desktop. I think I'll stay away from 8.1 until this mess is solved. WEI is pretty useless, it's really not a serious benchmark at all. Matter of fact, I think it was deemed more as a marketing tool for gaming if memory serves, but some Joe thought he was being clever using it as a standard lol.

I don't require a start button at all.

 

The thing with OS's is that people are meant to adapt to them. 

 

I was raging at 8.1 for the first hour(I knew I would, I did the same for Mavericks) before I got to learn how it 'worked' from then on. No usability problems in terms of OS UI for me.

 

Yeah, WEI is a p**** stick. I only ran it for no reason.

 

However, that isn't exactly true that it isn't useful. 

 

Do you think you have the time, or ability when shopping for new computers with family or in buying a laptop to install FutureMark or PassMark and give that baby a go?

 

Want to quickly have a look to see if that SSD inside that laptop that has vague marketing is a SHDD or a real SSD or how it performs?.

 

You aren't telling me you are going to ask to get a true serious benchmark for that now?

 

WEI serves its purpose in exactly that.

 

It may be 'useless' in that it has some weird standards. But guess what? A weird standard is a legit standard when every computer on display uses it and can thus be used for comparison at a quick 3 second glance. 

post #3683 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post


 


Anyway. Crossfire isn't initated in/by Windows Experience Index so don't mind that measley 7.9

 


Wait wtf? I have a 7970 at 1100 and 1575 and wei only gives me 7.9 for my card...
Edited by linglingjr - 12/13/13 at 12:00pm
post #3684 of 9059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

 

 

 

Dat moment you realize that your CPU is now the bottleneck.

 

 

 

Anyway. Crossfire isn't initated in/by Windows Experience Index so don't mind that measley 7.9

 



Wait wtf? I have a 7970 at 1100 and 1575 and wei only gives me 7.9 for my card...

Really?

 

My second GPU wasn't iniated when WEI was running....

 

I had my case open because I was working with SATA profiles and plugs before and could clearly see that the second GPU fans weren't spinning..

 

Let me try again and try to force Crossfire to run with a forced profile

post #3685 of 9059

The thing with WEI is in order for it to be useful, the software/gaming companies have to adopt it too. What good is the number without knowing what can/can't run well on it? Truth is it's a marketing tool, and apparently it's working for PCs if you say people care about that number when PC shopping. I refuse to adapt to Win8 metro style, i think even you know how useless it is for a power user. It's dumbed down for mobile devices, and MS thought it was a good idea to keep the same interface on the desktop. Kind like what Apple does, but failed miserably, which i guess is why 8.1 was released to be more "desktop" like, but has still botched the roll out. It's all in the historical track records and they speak for themselves.

post #3686 of 9059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

The thing with WEI is in order for it to be useful, the software/gaming companies have to adopt it too. What good is the number without knowing what can/can't run well on it? Truth is it's a marketing tool, and apparently it's working for PCs if you say people care about that number when PC shopping. I refuse to adapt to Win8 metro style, i think even you know how useless it is for a power user. It's dumbed down for mobile devices, and MS thought it was a good idea to keep the same interface on the desktop. Kind like what Apple does, but failed miserably, which i guess is why 8.1 was released to be more "desktop" like, but has still botched the roll out. It's all in the historical track records and they speak for themselves.

That doesn't have any literal sense to it.

 

You are under the asumption that Microsoft is using its own batch of extremely different tools when determining WEI score.

 

WEI runs similar calculations as Passmark and Futuremark do. But in more reduced and basic and quick forms. 

 

And then interpretting that number into a constant score that can be compared from generation to generation(a 5.4 on something taken in 2009 will still be a 2.4 today(if same conditions,etc), they just increase max number). 

 

It's just a way of comparing computer performance using benchmarks in store and quickly. By the logic you are going off of. Futuremark and Passmark are equally marketing tactics(which they all very well may be) because they run assessments that don't include how fast Chrome version x is running to simulate real world performance and in one where its a program developed by 3rd parties.

 

I don't refuse. Refusing is one of the biggest problems with PC Gamers today. Microsoft provided enthusiasts with the option of minimally using Metro.

 

Set all default metro apps to whatever it is you like. The only time you see Metro is the splash screen when you press the Windows key, and even that isn't a problem.

 

Otherwise, use keyboard short cuts, AutoHotKey etc etc. It's pretty much the same stuff but with a Metro option. Granted Metro is still used without alternative in some cases, but not enough to warrant any ill will for most.

post #3687 of 9059

I'm not sure where your defense of WEI is coming from. It's a simple number that someone can go by, sure. However, it's still a failure because all someone knows is "oh, a higher number is better" just because the CPU scores lower than the rest doesn't mean it's necessarily the bottleneck. It means there are newer processors available, resulting in a lower number, but if all one does is surf internet and upload youtube videos then there is no justifiable reason to get a "higher score". WEI scores really have no meaning other than to sell. The other benchmark tools you mention are great for knowing exactly what your components are capable of, and serve as a stability test when overclocking. Thus, they are not truly served for marketing purposes. Anyways, I'm done talking about this, surely there are other things we can discuss?


Edited by brunk - 12/13/13 at 12:25pm
post #3688 of 9059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

I'm not sure where your defense of WEI is coming from. It's a simple number that someone can go by, sure. However, it's still a failure because all someone knows is "oh, a higher number is better" just because the CPU scores lower than the rest doesn't mean it's necessarily the bottleneck. It means there are newer processors available, resulting in a lower number, but if all one does is surf internet and upload youtube videos then there is no justifiable reason to get a "higher score". WEI scores really have no meaning other than to sell. The other benchmark tools you mention are great for knowing exactly what your components are capable of, and serve as a stability test when overclocking. Thus, they are not truly served for marketing purposes. Anyways, I'm done talking about this, surely there are other things we can discuss?

Doesn't necessarily mean yep.

 

But it does mean that it is showing its age as Microsoft does 'match' the number series almost in terms of age. 

 

Futuremark and Passmark is a simple set of numbers determined through a set of standards that they in themselves personally set (P6000 score in Futuremark doesn't mean anything in Passmark meaning) that doesn't run any benchmarks of real world programs.

 

By this logic. Futuremark and Passmark is also marketing. 

 

WEI is just extremely general while the later are extremely specific. Both are meant to sell users on something. All by that logic don't mean anything.

post #3689 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Ooh, nice thread going on here! I have a decked out X79 platform with the i7 extreme SB-E. Is there a worthy successor yet? I'm looking to scale down the heat a bit lol.

 

Not that i've seen except for the Ivybridge-E chips that came out recently. 4820, 4930 etc

 

Don't worry about the heat, winter is coming..

post #3690 of 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

Doesn't necessarily mean yep.

 

But it does mean that it is showing its age as Microsoft does 'match' the number series almost in terms of age. 

 

Futuremark and Passmark is a simple set of numbers determined through a set of standards that they in themselves personally set (P6000 score in Futuremark doesn't mean anything in Passmark meaning) that doesn't run any benchmarks of real world programs.

 

By this logic. Futuremark and Passmark is also marketing. 

 

WEI is just extremely general while the later are extremely specific. Both are meant to sell users on something. All by that logic don't mean anything.

Well, I'm not buying components based on highest scores, but i guess other people are for the sake of it then? That's an interesting logic, unless you enjoy partaking in competition for the sake of it by being high in the score boards. I primarily use them for stability testing, and to occasionally look at the scores to see where a good price/performance lies, which is much more meaningful. Then again, Anandtech is much better for that purpose.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)