Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) - Page 237

post #3541 of 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 

What's your guys take on upgrading to SSDs?  Has anyone cloned their system image and just done it that way without re-installing any programs or needing to re-install windows?  Right now I'm probably going to just re install everything but I'm not confident that I'll actually see a performance boost this way (compared to cloning).... Just a huge headache needing to re-install/download all my games and programs.  

 

Also a kind of stupid question:  If I only put my OS and maybe some programs like Photoshop on  the SSD and all my games and programs on my other 500gb hdd would I still get faster loading times with games even if they're installed on the HDD?


I'm glade I upgraded to a SSD (180GB).

Spend the extra cash and get a SSD large enough that you can load your OS and important games on to, maybe put larger programs like Photoshop on the D: drive.

Do a fresh install.

There are free programs for cloning your boot drive (Majorgeeks), but I think it's better to do a fresh install.

You never know what "junk" might be floating around in the old install.

post #3542 of 6191

I ordered a sandisk... no data transfer programs included at all.  People say the free trial of this has worked pretty well:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/trueimage/index.html

 

I'll try a fresh install with an oem iso and my original activation key first though.  

EDIT: I only got a 128gb ssd do load times still improve even if they're on D: drive?  I only mentioned photoshop because it's been extremely laggy on my computer.


Edited by linglingjr - 12/1/13 at 3:49pm
post #3543 of 6191

It won't win any beauty prizes, but Clonezilla is fast and free.

post #3544 of 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post







This is glorious on too many levels. 10MB/s? Yes please. That is a big B by the way biggrin.gif
Damn, how much you pay for internet.
post #3545 of 6191
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post


Damn, how much you pay for internet.

University internets :D.....so $40,000 a year

post #3546 of 6191
Thread Starter 

Just played some BF4 with very High graphical settings using my new AMD 7870. 

 

 

This was me the whole time.

 

My new case, SSD, and Crossfire bridge isn't in yet. So that was just me with stock clock 7870.

 

Can't wait to drop that second 7870 in it.

post #3547 of 6191

I can't seem to get into BF or CoD. I get bored.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post


I'm glade I upgraded to a SSD (180GB).

Spend the extra cash and get a SSD large enough that you can load your OS and important games on to, maybe put larger programs like Photoshop on the D: drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linglingjr View Post
 

I'll try a fresh install with an oem iso and my original activation key first though.  

EDIT: I only got a 128gb ssd do load times still improve even if they're on D: drive?  I only mentioned photoshop because it's been extremely laggy on my computer.

Yeah, I can't stand normal HDDs now. Slow and noisy. All SSD ftw. Load times for propgrams that aren't on the SSD do not improve, though you can set it so Photoshop uses your SSD as it's scratch disk. It'll wear out your write cycles quicker, but given most SSD have several hundred year predicted failure times if you base it on running out of write cycles...it's a non issue.


Edited by Tangster - 12/1/13 at 5:41pm
post #3548 of 6191
Anyone else play No More Room in Hell? (Steam FTP).
post #3549 of 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post

Anyone else play No More Room in Hell? (Steam FTP).
Nah meng, the games bad enough without me.
post #3550 of 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post


System? You mean office thing?

Everything, the whole setup I mean

post #3551 of 6191
Thread Starter 

**** YOU OLD MOTHERBOARD.

 

After a year of problems with short circuiting, and grounding issues with my current motherboard. I just bought a new one. **** it. Nothing fancy, but good enough and has everything I need.

post #3552 of 6191



Done.
Thingies:
Samsung 24'' T24C550ND HDTV/Monitor
CM Storm Quickfire Pro Keyboard (Cherry MX Brown)
Cheap Microsoft Mouse (Getting Perixx MX-2000ii for XMas
Logitech G35
V-Moda M-80
My PC
PS3
DIY Copper pipe headphone stand (Thanks to my dad!)
And yes, in case you're wondering, that's my butterfly knife in front of my headphone stand. Hopefully, these pictures aren't too grainy. (Stupid iPhone...)
Edited by ibob4tacoz - 12/2/13 at 5:17pm
post #3553 of 6191
Also, this isn't my room, I have 2 rooms to myself. (yayayayayay) and my bedroom is lead gray and very simple.
post #3554 of 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post




Done.
Thingies:
Samsung 24'' T24C550ND HDTV/Monitor
CM Storm Quickfire Pro Keyboard (Cherry MX Brown)
Cheap Microsoft Mouse (Getting Perixx MX-2000ii for XMas
Logitech G35
V-Moda M-80
My PC
PS3
DIY Copper pipe headphone stand (Thanks to my dad!)
And yes, in case you're wondering, that's my butterfly knife in front of my headphone stand. Hopefully, these pictures aren't too grainy. (Stupid iPhone...)

What butterfly knife is that? I'm thinking of the Balisong Trainer from Benchmade, but that price is killing me.

post #3555 of 6191
Thread Starter 

Build pics!!!

Pics: (Click to show)

 What do we have here?

 

 Old setup

 

 

 

 

 

 Yes, that pic is mine

 

 

 Setting up

 

 Old PC

 

 

 New empty 300R

 

 

 

 

 Motherboard and part of the radiator is in

 

 

 Dual fan config with the radiator :D

 

 

 

Back of near finished product. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cable time

 

 Dear gosh, oh god look at that. I have the USb 3.0 header and HD Audio in 'reserve' because my mobo either doesn't support it or the wire can't reach without it looking bad. My new mobo is comming in a few ays

 

 More pics

 

 

 

 

 

Finished

 

Majestic

 

 

 

 

 

Incomming parts:

AMD Crossfire Bridge

6 Pin PCIE Adapter(2 molex to one 6 pin)

Gigabyte Motherboard

Seagate 240GB SSD

My manhood.

 

-Waiting to place second AMD 7870 into machine after I have my parts.


Edited by bowei006 - 12/2/13 at 6:24pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)