Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) - Page 173

post #2581 of 6433
Nice builds - what is that on top of the NZXT?
post #2582 of 6433
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

Nice builds - what is that on top of the NZXT?

Nothing. That's just an assembly on top of the NZXT by default.

post #2583 of 6433

Just remember, you asked for it.

 

JZ35MFU.jpg

FPN0hKf.jpg

E3Uzdg4.jpg

KbdmVeg.jpg

7opVCco.jpg

dIO50wJ.jpg

mjKFOlS.jpg

tbcFtqS.jpg

 

Rig Specs: http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/3293355


Edited by Tman5293 - 8/19/13 at 10:58pm
post #2584 of 6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by sari0n View Post

Uh, depends what exactly you want your system to be able to do and what games you're playing.

I disagree. Other than for several x264 encoding workflows and some embarassingly parallel rendering tasks (that's not an insult, embarassingly parallel is a computational term), the likes of i5 3570K outdo AMD octocores by a wide margin. Proof. Benchmarks proving second opinions accepted.

However, one might notice that even though the percentile increase in gaming is relatively large, the FPS we're talking about is over the hundreds. When the GPU is bottlenecking the CPU (which is likely as most modern games do), the difference will close in towards insignificant. So in one sense it doesn't really matter, but if the prices are the same I'd think it's silly to go purposefully for a worse processor and dismiss the measurements.

post #2585 of 6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman5293 View Post

Just remember, you asked for it.

JZ35MFU.jpg
FPN0hKf.jpg
E3Uzdg4.jpg
KbdmVeg.jpg
7opVCco.jpg
dIO50wJ.jpg
mjKFOlS.jpg
tbcFtqS.jpg

Rig Specs: http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/3293355
Impeccable cable management..
post #2586 of 6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post

Okay, so I plan on upgrading soon.

 

Do I get the 7950 now or wait for 9XXX?
 

I already purchased a Node 304 mITX + 8x2 GB RAM for $135.

The case will not fit a Crossfire/SLI configuration, aiming for single card performance.

 

I'm fps sensitive, and at the same time I like to dial the quality up.

My monitor will be a Xstar 2560x1440, I doubt the 7950 will handle 1440p with the latest/greatest.

 

But a IceQ for $200 is hard to pass up, solid and silent.

 

As for CPU, I don't need something groundbreaking.  Maybe an i5/fx will do for me.

I'm thinking of tearing down my current system, and borrowing the 6850 until a good card comes for cheap.  At the same time, I would really like to sell it.  I figure a whole system and monitor will sell for a better price than the raw parts.

 

Hello.

Have the same case.

BE CAREFUL regarding CPU cooler because depends on the motherboard (and most m-ITX motherboards are design similarly) you WILL BLOCK THE PCI-E slot!!!!

 

Also, I pretty much doubt that you will be able to fit this in there:

 

http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Overclocked-Utilities-PCI-Express-GTX680-DC2O-2GD5/dp/B007ZT2E1C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376954325&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=ecs+gtx+680

 

Too big in length and width!

 

I use a Radeon HD7770. Is it the most powerful? Of course not, BUT the games I play run excellent (includes Ridge Racer Unbounded, Tomb Raider, The Witcher 2 -- this one is the most demanding..., Diablo III, etc.)

post #2587 of 6433
Anybody know when DDR4 will be released and the cost of such parts? (Kingston HyperX 8GB $55 DDR3) How much would you say a DDR4 version would be? I'll release pics if my PC ON later.
post #2588 of 6433
Tman - sweet build, thanks for posting smily_headphones1.gif
post #2589 of 6433

Alright everyone, this is the system I have setup:

 

Case:  Node 304

 

CPU:  FX 8350 BE
MOBO:  mITX, nothing special

RAM:  16GB 1600 CAS9

GPU:  7950 SAPPHIRE 100352-3L 3GB

 

Total:  $575 - Whatever my 3 games will get me

 

EDIT:  Cancelled the GPU order as I am not sure if it will fit inside the case, hopefully I can reorder before it goes oos.

EDIT2:  

ASUS GTX670-DCMOC-2GD5 FTW


Edited by Yazen - 8/20/13 at 8:34am
post #2590 of 6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post

Anybody know when DDR4 will be released and the cost of such parts? (Kingston HyperX 8GB $55 DDR3) How much would you say a DDR4 version would be? I'll release pics if my PC ON later.


No idea, but I'm curious why do you want to know that? Memory speed/bandwidth is the last thing from current computer specifications that you will need to improve, as most applications and games will only gain insignificant performance (few percents) from increasing RAM speed/bandwidth (APU/IGP systems notwithstanding, as some of those can use system RAM for GPU). Before you even worry about RAM (other than the amount of it, that is), I would make sure you're running the top of the line overclocked CPU, multiple high-end GPUs and a high-performance SSD.

post #2591 of 6433

Been playing Saints Row 4 a bunch. Great game so far. The intro is one of the best intros I've seen in a game. Just absolutely silly, and totally had me in stitches.

 

The powers are a lot of fun to mess with, too. They don't really make vehicles obsolete, either, since the dash power takes quite a bit of stamina to use. The guns also have a nicer feel to them than Saints Row 3, and the added customization to them is also a nice touch.

 

It's also pretty easy to run. I have it mostly maxed out, with 8xAA, and 2160x1350, and while the framerate isn't solid, it never really drops below 30FPS.

post #2592 of 6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Face View Post


No idea, but I'm curious why do you want to know that? Memory speed/bandwidth is the last thing from current computer specifications that you will need to improve, as most applications and games will only gain insignificant performance (few percents) from increasing RAM speed/bandwidth (APU/IGP systems notwithstanding, as some of those can use system RAM for GPU). Before you even worry about RAM (other than the amount of it, that is), I would make sure you're running the top of the line overclocked CPU, multiple high-end GPUs and a high-performance SSD.
Eh, I'm planning to completely overhaul my PC in a few years (New mobo, GPU, etc.), so I was just wondering if I should wait.
post #2593 of 6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibob4tacoz View Post


Eh, I'm planning to completely overhaul my PC in a few years (New mobo, GPU, etc.), so I was just wondering if I should wait.

Don't worry yourself about it too much. Current platforms and their CPUs are way under-utilized in gaming at least (rendering and compiling can of course never be too fast, but it's counter-intuitive to buy a $1000 CPU for 20% speed increase IMO). Even if there were some DDR4-only motherboards and CPUs that would be better than the current i5, i7 and FX-9000 CPUs, it's very unlikely you will need that performance because the GPU performance is much bigger of a bottleneck during modern games.

Also, as an interesting notion, although slightly non-related: Both PS4 and Xbox One have a x86-64 processor. That's the same architecture that modern desktop CPUs are, instead of Cell and PowerPC as last generation was! That means that at least in theory, PS4 and Xbox One and multi-platform titles will translate WAY more efficiently for the current CPUs we have and have had in our PC computers! (quad, hexa- and octocore CPUs have existed for a good while now). So far, games have under-utilized the amount of cores quite drastically, as most games run okay on dual cores and very few benefit from more than four in any way. Also, the octocore CPU on both has a quite low per-core clock speed, sort of forcing programmers to multi-thread and parallellize the code more. This might have implications that modern multi-platform games will not only run relatively better than last-gen multi-platforms, but also use our PC hardware more efficiently! So at least from the CPU point of view, you're very likely very safe. As for PCI-e lanes or something else being renewed, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just grab whatever is currently on the market, improvements will likely be quite incremental, keep an eye on benchmarks and you'll see most CPU generations offer some 5-10% increase in performance which isn't worth upgrading if you've bought anything in the last n-2 generations.

post #2594 of 6433

Could not settle for the low profile 670.  Wish me luck in the Zotac 780 giveaway wink.gif

Would put my upgrade at a measly $375, what a wonderful thought

post #2595 of 6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Face View Post

Don't worry yourself about it too much. Current platforms and their CPUs are way under-utilized in gaming at least (rendering and compiling can of course never be too fast, but it's counter-intuitive to buy a $1000 CPU for 20% speed increase IMO). Even if there were some DDR4-only motherboards and CPUs that would be better than the current i5, i7 and FX-9000 CPUs, it's very unlikely you will need that performance because the GPU performance is much bigger of a bottleneck during modern games.

Also, as an interesting notion, although slightly non-related: Both PS4 and Xbox One have a x86-64 processor. That's the same architecture that modern desktop CPUs are, instead of Cell and PowerPC as last generation was! That means that at least in theory, PS4 and Xbox One and multi-platform titles will translate WAY more efficiently for the current CPUs we have and have had in our PC computers! (quad, hexa- and octocore CPUs have existed for a good while now). So far, games have under-utilized the amount of cores quite drastically, as most games run okay on dual cores and very few benefit from more than four in any way. Also, the octocore CPU on both has a quite low per-core clock speed, sort of forcing programmers to multi-thread and parallellize the code more. This might have implications that modern multi-platform games will not only run relatively better than last-gen multi-platforms, but also use our PC hardware more efficiently! So at least from the CPU point of view, you're very likely very safe. As for PCI-e lanes or something else being renewed, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just grab whatever is currently on the market, improvements will likely be quite incremental, keep an eye on benchmarks and you'll see most CPU generations offer some 5-10% increase in performance which isn't worth upgrading if you've bought anything in the last n-2 generations.

 

I'm just left wondering why the heck PlanetSide 2, ArmA III, DCS World, etc. run so poorly with anything short of the latest Core i5/i7s overclocked quite a bit. Seriously, just fire up PS2 and go to some hotbed of activity like The Crown, or whip up a quick mission in DCS with a lot of AI units around, and your framerate is gonna tank below 20 FPS in all likeliness. (Of course, that's on an old Q6600 overclocked to 3 GHz...) Whatever the case, those games are bottlenecked so hard by the CPU that even SLI GTX Titans will leave you seeing slideshows at times.

 

Is the code just that hard to parallelize, to the point where single-threaded performance is still a priority for game engines?

 

And of course, they're planning on porting PlanetSide 2 to the PS4...I'd like to see how the hell they're going to pull that off without it going into slideshow mode.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)