Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review - Page 61

post #901 of 3347

So today I have chance again to listen MDR-1R, and this time with proper time. Also I have Momentum to A/Bing.

 

So far my impression:

- Momentum: Smooth, warm, laidback

- Sony 1R: Smooth, slightly warmer, forward

 

- Momentum definitely has cleaner sound. This better clarity apply from treble, to mid and bass. This isn't really surprising actually, as the Momentum is already has cleaner sound compare to their BIG brother the legend Senn HD650.

- Sony 1R has more blurry presentation that makes some micro detail goes away

 

- Sony 1R really take the lead in term of soundstage imaging, both in quality and quantity. It's just bigger, more spacious, and more accurate for each instrument placement.

- Actually Momentum haven't really bad in this area, but I understand if some people got annoyed by how narrow the soundstage, though definitely still bigger and more spacious than Senn HD25. But compare to 1R, the different is easy to notice.

 

- Sony 1R has bigger bass body and impact. Not much, only little actually, but noticeable. This can be bad or good depend the preference.

- Momentum has better extension, or perhaps due the more linear midbass and cleaner presentation so I can hear the low bass note more pronounce

 

- Both have very smooth treble, they're playing very safe in this area

 

- Momentum has more laidback midrange, and sound more mellow and relaxing, while 1R more forward and engaging.

 

- With my desktop set up, Momentum has better speed for metal symphony songs, this a bit confusing me as the Momentum should be the one that more laidback and more relaxing sound. But that's what happen right now. The bass note in 1R is bit loose.

 

- Both are close back, but the 1R is really like using an open headphone, though has more blurry sound but 1R has more open sounding than Momentum.

 

- Momentum has more sensitive to source and set-up, 1R is just very very forgiving.

 

- I still can't decide which one I would take as the winner tongue.gif


Edited by TheMiddleSky - 12/4/12 at 9:00am
post #902 of 3347

This might interest some of you!

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/639451/review-sennheiser-momentum-the-real-deal#post_8923671

post #903 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhoc View Post

Also my ears being 6.5cm height monsters don't fit in them, so I guess I'm an outlier...

According to Tyll, your ears are slightly smaller than average, and they should fit comfortably.  

post #904 of 3347

Nice impressions, Middlesky. The 1R looks interesting to me, too for the larger soundstage

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimsonny View Post

This might interest some of you!

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/639451/review-sennheiser-momentum-the-real-deal#post_8923671

 

Interesting review. Thanks for putting in the effort. I think the comparisons are pretty useful. 

post #905 of 3347

Thank you for your thorough impressions on the two TheMiddleSky, I've been waiting for someone to do a nice comparo. Can you compare the isolation of both in portable use? I have the 1Rs right now and it does a decent job at isolation but if the Momentums are better in that regard that I will most likely trade up the 1R for the Momentum.

post #906 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post

- Sony 1R really take the lead in term of soundstage imaging, both in quality and quantity. It's just bigger, more spacious, and more accurate for each instrument placement.

I disagree on the first point, I found the soundstage to be bigger on the Momentum and the greater detail really added to this. Perhaps this is due to fit, although I agree on your other points. I wouldn't say the Momentum lacks in bass, the 1R has comparatively too much which spoils some things IMO.
post #907 of 3347

Momentum has a little better isolation than 1R, I think this due the hole on the 1R's housing, while Momentum is full closed.

 

Yes, Momentum is far from lack of bass, any rnb songs still sound good and powerful.

 

I've tried to adjust position when using Momentum, and still the soundstage is not as big as 1R. This also confirmed by people who already A/Bing them in here.

 

General consensus here have opinion the most noticeable different between this 2 headphone is one has clearer sound (Momentum) and the other one has bigger sound (1R).

 

For now I think I'll choose Momentum over 1R due the housing size, as what I prefer is a portable headphone.

post #908 of 3347
Thank you! Those impressions are very helpful.
post #909 of 3347

I had the Momentums for a while. I compared them to the Denon 600s, UE6000s, M50s, a very brief session with M100s and my PSB M4U2s. Out of that bunch they were a close 2nd to my PSBs. The PSBs were just better in resolving details. Bass is better as well in accuracy, quantity and definition. I would listen to much of my music and thought I liked the Momentums better only to go back to the PSBs and realize it was just giving me more information. Most of my listening is driven by my E11 in passive mode.

 

As for build, comfort and style, the Momentums won that round. I do have a new pair of the PSBs that have all the QC issues worked out though. The PSBs having the built in amp and ANC helped them though because I do travel alot. The portability is actually slightly better on the PSBs as the case is smaller and they fold. 

 

At $399 for the PSBs vs $349 for the Momentums, I just felt the value wasn't there. If the Senns were in the $250 range, I would own both and use the Momentums more for everyday and save my PSBs for travel and serious listening. Just my thoughts. I hope it helps someone.

post #910 of 3347

I had a question for those who have been using the momentums for a while - do the leather pads soften up over time?  I haven't done a lot of listening but I find that they get a little uncomfortable for me after about 30 minutes of use (the back edges of my ears) due to the fact that my ears don't entirely fit into the cups.  

post #911 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by FM1899 View Post

I had a question for those who have been using the momentums for a while - do the leather pads soften up over time?  I haven't done a lot of listening but I find that they get a little uncomfortable for me after about 30 minutes of use (the back edges of my ears) due to the fact that my ears don't entirely fit into the cups.  

The leather on my earpads is now super soft, but the seam between the leather and the inner fabric doesn't feel so smooth to touch.

Could it be the seam that's causing you problems?

post #912 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

The leather on my earpads is now super soft, but the seam between the leather and the inner fabric doesn't feel so smooth to touch.

Could it be the seam that's causing you problems?

 

So your leather has gotten softer?  I will have to check about the seams when I get home but from memory, I feel like the seams are farther inward compared to where the rear outer edges of my ears fall on the headphone.  My ears flare outward slightly at the rear - I think it may be that just the pressure of the headphone on the rear is what's causing the discomfort even though the pressure in minimal.  I wish I had more experience with different types of headphones but unfortunately I'm a newbie.

post #913 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by FM1899 View Post

 

So your leather has gotten softer?  I will have to check about the seams when I get home but from memory, I feel like the seams are farther inward compared to where the rear outer edges of my ears fall on the headphone.  My ears flare outward slightly at the rear - I think it may be that just the pressure of the headphone on the rear is what's causing the discomfort even though the pressure in minimal.  I wish I had more experience with different types of headphones but unfortunately I'm a newbie.

Pressure on certain parts of the ear over long periods can cause acute pain. This is more common in on-ear headphones. Even a small amount of pressure on a single point can get really painful. 

Unlike most other external parts of the body that are muscle, the ears are cartilage, and changing position/shape doesn't easily go unnoticed - that's why we can sit for hours with a comparatively large amount of pressure.


Edited by GREQ - 12/5/12 at 11:57am
post #914 of 3347

Does anyone know of some kind of foam padding I could use to add some cushioning on top of the driver, and wouldn't affect the sound too much? The headphones fit fine for me as circumaurals, but a cartilage part of my ear touches the driver and after awhile it starts to hurt. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

post #915 of 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho51 View Post

Does anyone know of some kind of foam padding I could use to add some cushioning on top of the driver, and wouldn't affect the sound too much? The headphones fit fine for me as circumaurals, but a cartilage part of my ear touches the driver and after awhile it starts to hurt. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Try adjusting the cups further to the back of the head; away from your eyes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review