Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review - Page 33

post #481 of 3292

So I have the HD598, Sig pro, Mad Dogs, and Momentum with me. 

 

Momentum has the highest comfort level to me. In the sense you hardly notice that it's on you. It's so light. The cable is the lightest amongst all of them too.

post #482 of 3292
Quote:
Originally Posted by eron View Post

So I have the HD598, Sig pro, Mad Dogs, and Momentum with me. 

 

Momentum has the highest comfort level to me. In the sense you hardly notice that it's on you. It's so light. The cable is the lightest amongst all of them too.

 

I don't have any experience of the HD598, but have tried the SigPros many times, and just this past weekend the Mad Dogs. It'll be greatly appreciated if you could share your sonic experiences and preferences of the Momentums with the SigPros and Mad Dogs. I have the Momentums myself and have some thoughts but would like to hear yours.

post #483 of 3292
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

 I have the Momentums myself and have some thoughts but would like to hear yours.

I can't describe the sonic differences anywhere near you can, but just briefly:

I understand more what Jude was saying regarding the Momentum now. Momentum aren't the headphones you want to wear to critically listen to tracks, and hear the best recordings; hear a singer's lip touching, take a breath, or the glass clanking in the background. They are made for you to enjoy 99% of music out there anywhere, anytime. So for wanting to be in your own world, while thinking about stuff on public transport, it's great. 

 

Mad Dog has better sound stage, but it's also bigger, heavier, and something I'll even consider twice moving around the house, since I have other options. It also can be amped pretty high. From volume 10-30+ on a NFB-10SE.

 

SigPros to me is the least comfortable of all, but its detail and clarity are better than the 2 above. I'm hoping its comfort level will improve more over time. I'll have to bend the headband a bit more. Very good soundstage too. Surprisingly good considering it's almost clamping the ears down. Easy to drive. Just a few volumes up on the NFB-10SE, else it becomes too loud.


Edited by eron - 10/22/12 at 2:07am
post #484 of 3292
How do you like them vs the HD598?
post #485 of 3292

Worn them on the E, F and B trains last few days.  These are the more quiet trains in the city.  I say they isolate better than my Shure 535s.  Again, they stay on my head, unlike the Philips Fidelio L1 and B&W P5.  At 3/4 way level on my iPhone, it's already too loud.  But with little distortion.  Those with proper road gear can attain better audio quality.  

 

PS

Got plenty of looks from people and one from a Beats user.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

 

Can you report how well they isolate in the subway when you have a chance? I use HD25s in the subway while they do a good job, I've always wanted a portable circumaural that can do as good a job.

post #486 of 3292
Quote:
Originally Posted by eron View Post

I can't describe the sonic differences anywhere near you can, but just briefly:

I understand more what Jude was saying regarding the Momentum now. Momentum aren't the headphones you want to wear to critically listen to tracks, and hear the best recordings; hear a singer's lip touching, take a breath, or the glass clanking in the background. They are made for you to enjoy 99% of music out there anywhere, anytime. So for wanting to be in your own world, while thinking about stuff on public transport, it's great. 

 

Mad Dog has better sound stage, but it's also bigger, heavier, and something I'll even consider twice moving around the house, since I have other options. It also can be amped pretty high. From volume 10-30+ on a NFB-10SE.

 

SigPros to me is the least comfortable of all, but its detail and clarity are better than the 2 above. I'm hoping its comfort level will improve more over time. I'll have to bend the headband a bit more. Very good soundstage too. Surprisingly good considering it's almost clamping the ears down. Easy to drive. Just a few volumes up on the NFB-10SE, else it becomes too loud.

 

Thank you for your sonic review. I'd have to agree with you about the SigPros' SQ. The clamping to me was also quite strong (but so is the M-100 so I'm sort of used to it). Although it's unfair to compare a $350 pair of Momentums to a $1300 list priced SigPros, I find the SigPros to have quite a bit of resolution and detail, and agreed about the soundstage too.


The Momentums are extremely comfortable though.

post #487 of 3292
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulchiu View Post

Worn them on the E, F and B trains last few days.  These are the more quiet trains in the city.  I say they isolate better than my Shure 535s.  Again, they stay on my head, unlike the Philips Fidelio L1 and B&W P5.  At 3/4 way level on my iPhone, it's already too loud.  But with little distortion.  Those with proper road gear can attain better audio quality.  

 

PS

Got plenty of looks from people and one from a Beats user.

 

 

If this is true...

 

WOW

post #488 of 3292

Only realy looked at these recently, they are step in the right direction for Senny. A leap in asthetics compared to the HD-424's I used to listen to when I was a kid gs1000.gif

post #489 of 3292
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulchiu View Post

Worn them on the E, F and B trains last few days.  These are the more quiet trains in the city.  I say they isolate better than my Shure 535s.  Again, they stay on my head, unlike the Philips Fidelio L1 and B&W P5.  At 3/4 way level on my iPhone, it's already too loud.  But with little distortion.  Those with proper road gear can attain better audio quality.  

 

PS

Got plenty of looks from people and one from a Beats user.

 

 


Thanks for that, I'm intrigued. And I don't doubt that you got plenty of looks haha. Time to hit up an Apple store and try these babies out.

post #490 of 3292
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post


The Momentums are extremely comfortable though.

How's the comfort level vs a M-100?

post #491 of 3292

I'll just leave this here..

 

post #492 of 3292

I spent some time with the momentum and my FiiO e17. Yeah I'm in like with these headphones. Ugh this is so frustrating. I picked up the HD650 and all I can think about is the momentums. I've been obsessively reading about the HD650 for what seems like ages now. I finally have them in my possession and I'm not impressed. It's like finally going on a date with the hot chick next door who you have been crushing on for years just to find out you guys have nothing in common. But she's so hot so should it matter? Meanwhile the momentums are your child hood Friend who you have never really thought of in that way but you notice that she's grown...oh how she's grown. I'm so confused, everyone tells me how great the HD650s are and I should be with her but I can't get momentum out of my head.

 

I will say the HD650 would probably keep my ears from getting sweaty because of the open back design. And there is no lack of bass and the sound stage is incredible. With most headphones I feel enclosed in a box with my music but these I feel like I'm in a big wide area. Every sound is so clean and crisp. This is not always a good thing because some of my lower quality music sounds to bad to tolerate. 

 

The momentums have this rumble that are not on the HD650. Although when I turn up the bass on the FiiO the HD650 do rumble but I feel like the momentum rumble is more fun. The HD650 has a deeper bass though. I feel like I can just fall in and get lost in that deep deep bass.

 

Overall I'm going to spend a little more time with the HD650. I do realize that the FiiO is way under powered to drive this headphone but I figured under the worse conditions the legendary sennheisers should out perform most under the best conditions. Am I wrong to assume that? 

post #493 of 3292
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunolimit View Post

I spent some time with the momentum and my FiiO e17. Yeah I'm in like with these headphones. Ugh this is so frustrating. I picked up the HD650 and all I can think about is the momentums. I've been obsessively reading about the HD650 for what seems like ages now. I finally have them in my possession and I'm not impressed. It's like finally going on a date with the hot chick next door who you have been crushing on for years just to find out you guys have nothing in common. But she's so hot so should it matter? Meanwhile the momentums are your child hood Friend who you have never really thought of in that way but you notice that she's grown...oh how she's grown. I'm so confused, everyone tells me how great the HD650s are and I should be with her but I can't get momentum out of my head.

I will say the HD650 would probably keep my ears from getting sweaty because of the open back design. And there is no lack of bass and the sound stage is incredible. With most headphones I feel enclosed in a box with my music but these I feel like I'm in a big wide area. Every sound is so clean and crisp. This is not always a good thing because some of my lower quality music sounds to bad to tolerate. 

The momentums have this rumble that are not on the HD650. Although when I turn up the bass on the FiiO the HD650 do rumble but I feel like the momentum rumble is more fun. The HD650 has a deeper bass though. I feel like I can just fall in and get lost in that deep deep bass.

Overall I'm going to spend a little more time with the HD650. I do realize that the FiiO is way under powered to drive this headphone but I figured under the worse conditions the legendary sennheisers should out perform most under the best conditions. Am I wrong to assume that? 

Hello there. I have the momentums and I too am in like with them. Would you say it is worth it to amp them? I am new to all this and I already love the sound quality, but if the momentums benefit from amping I would absolutely do it. I listen to my music (ALAC) through my ipod classic and have been thinking about amping. I'm leaning towards the Fiio E11 and the L9 LOD combination. Do you think that's a wise decision?

I may never have the ear to be a true audiophile, but I am definitely a music lover so all help is appreciated. I figure though I have my momentums and if I do end up getting an amp I should be set and I won't need anything else...well I probably will buy the m100's, but that's it and then I'll be set and won't need anything else...
post #494 of 3292
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunolimit View Post

I spent some time with the momentum and my FiiO e17. Yeah I'm in like with these headphones. Ugh this is so frustrating. I picked up the HD650 and all I can think about is the momentums. I've been obsessively reading about the HD650 for what seems like ages now. I finally have them in my possession and I'm not impressed. It's like finally going on a date with the hot chick next door who you have been crushing on for years just to find out you guys have nothing in common. But she's so hot so should it matter? Meanwhile the momentums are your child hood Friend who you have never really thought of in that way but you notice that she's grown...oh how she's grown. I'm so confused, everyone tells me how great the HD650s are and I should be with her but I can't get momentum out of my head.

 

I will say the HD650 would probably keep my ears from getting sweaty because of the open back design. And there is no lack of bass and the sound stage is incredible. With most headphones I feel enclosed in a box with my music but these I feel like I'm in a big wide area. Every sound is so clean and crisp. This is not always a good thing because some of my lower quality music sounds to bad to tolerate. 

 

The momentums have this rumble that are not on the HD650. Although when I turn up the bass on the FiiO the HD650 do rumble but I feel like the momentum rumble is more fun. The HD650 has a deeper bass though. I feel like I can just fall in and get lost in that deep deep bass.

 

Overall I'm going to spend a little more time with the HD650. I do realize that the FiiO is way under powered to drive this headphone but I figured under the worse conditions the legendary sennheisers should out perform most under the best conditions. Am I wrong to assume that? 

Yep you are indeed wrong to assume that. HD650s are notorious for severely underperforming when amped with non-optimal setups. Sounds like you just want something with a more fun signature but still retaining high technicalities, and doesn't need 20 lbs of aluminum and circuitry and glass to run well. HE-400s are the ultimate solution to that. evil_smiley.gif

post #495 of 3292
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootsRockReggae View Post


Hello there. I have the momentums and I too am in like with them. Would you say it is worth it to amp them? I am new to all this and I already love the sound quality, but if the momentums benefit from amping I would absolutely do it. I listen to my music (ALAC) through my ipod classic and have been thinking about amping. I'm leaning towards the Fiio E11 and the L9 LOD combination. Do you think that's a wise decision?
I may never have the ear to be a true audiophile, but I am definitely a music lover so all help is appreciated. I figure though I have my momentums and if I do end up getting an amp I should be set and I won't need anything else...well I probably will buy the m100's, but that's it and then I'll be set and won't need anything else...

I'm no audiophile either. I'm using 320kbs on my samsung s3. FLAC files for some reason make the phone play the music really slow. This Christmas I'd like to move to an iPod classic playing ALAC. I do have an iPad and notice songs sound better but only slightly. I will tell you this, I first tried them unamped (i think i posted my thoughts earlier in this thread) but today was the first time I tried them amped and they blew me away. I also noticed a vast improvement with my HD 25-1 ii. 

 

I think the reason for it is in the EQ. It's not that it's louder but I can make changes in the EQ and really notice those changes with the extra juice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Yep you are indeed wrong to assume that. HD650s are notorious for severely underperforming when amped with non-optimal setups. Sounds like you just want something with a more fun signature but still retaining high technicalities, and doesn't need 20 lbs of aluminum and circuitry and glass to run well. HE-400s are the ultimate solution to that. evil_smiley.gif

 

I really wish you wouldn't have said that. There is this guy in Brooklyn who is selling a pair but I really can't find the time to get my butt down there. If they really are that amazing then I guess I have to make a sacrifice. I know headdirect offers a 30 day money back plan but I don't want to have to deal with shipping them back if I end up not liking them. Then there are these v moda that everyone is going on about. Radio shack should have a pair when they officially launch correct? Maybe I should just pick one and call it quits. This is just to hard of a choice. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review