Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review - Page 32

post #466 of 3219

Playing a Reference Recordings CD of Dick Hyman plays Duke Ellington. Sophisticated Lady sounds sumptuous but not at the level of a HD800 or LCD-3 where if you listen intently, can feel the hands across the piano.  With the Cary 300 tubes, the Momentum sings, very smooth with vocals and the instruments separate themselves in the music.  Very clean and confident with a presentation almost at the level of my Lexus LS Nakamichi sound system.  That has many speakers and a subwoofer, so while the Momentum cannot pound at my stomach or give the impression that I am at the front two rows at the Jazz club, I am a few feet away from the mikes.  

 

After some 4 hours now, with my thin rimmed glasses on, I feel no pain on my temples.  the soft real leather pads gently rest on my ears.  I can hear my wife's summons but the isolation is excellent.  Not used to this level of quietness before with such small headphones.


Edited by paulchiu - 10/20/12 at 2:41pm
post #467 of 3219

Hi paulchiu how do these compare to the HD650 which you also seem to own? And are they for you on or around the ear?

Thanks

post #468 of 3219

wow, i have not worn the 650 forever.  They feel warm and fuzzy, like ear muffs.  OK, seriously, they have a stronger bass and surely more accurate/neutral compared with the Momentum.  I am reminded again why I have not used the 650 for so long now.  The HD800 replaced them as did the LCD-3 replaced my HD800 for most sources.  In the case of the Momentum, it's just so handy.  I will be using these in the subways for sure.  The Shure 535s will still home.

 

Oh yes, the Momentum stays on the head, unlike the Philips Fidelio L1 which can fall off when I run.

 

Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

Hi paulchiu how do these compare to the HD650 which you also seem to own? And are they for you on or around the ear?

Thanks

post #469 of 3219

Oh, the 650 are still somewhat touching parts of my lower ears.

Where the Momentum touches my ears entirely.

The 650 does not seal out ambient sound as well as the tiny Momentum.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

Hi paulchiu how do these compare to the HD650 which you also seem to own? And are they for you on or around the ear?

Thanks

post #470 of 3219

Does boomy mean drowning bass or does it mean enourmous bass impact like I was lead to believe? Because it seems that whenever I see bass headphones with the term "punchy" being used, i tend to immediately forget about them and keep searching.

post #471 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulchiu View Post

 

Hi, could you please tell me how the bass on the Momentum's compares to the bass of the Denon D7000?

post #472 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaglebob View Post

Does boomy mean drowning bass or does it mean enourmous bass impact like I was lead to believe? Because it seems that whenever I see bass headphones with the term "punchy" being used, i tend to immediately forget about them and keep searching.

Is there a thread breaking down the lingo around here? People talk about sparkly highs and I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing.

 

Punchy bass I'd say are what the Sennhieser HD 25-1 ii and the beats solo do. it feels like your ears are under pressure whenever the bass hits. 

 

I don't know how to categorize boomy. 

post #473 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunolimit View Post

Is there a thread breaking down the lingo around here? People talk about sparkly highs and I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing.

 

Punchy bass I'd say are what the Sennhieser HD 25-1 ii and the beats solo do. it feels like your ears are under pressure whenever the bass hits. 

 

I don't know how to categorize boomy. 

solo is boomy and muddy, not so much punchy, it doesn't have so much of the edge in the bass

post #474 of 3219

The Denon D7000 bass has weight and good pressure on the ear and face.  The Momentum perhaps has about 1/2 of that sensation.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Flycatcher View Post
Hi, could you please tell me how the bass on the Momentum's compares to the bass of the Denon D7000?
post #475 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulchiu View Post

wow, i have not worn the 650 forever.  They feel warm and fuzzy, like ear muffs.  OK, seriously, they have a stronger bass and surely more accurate/neutral compared with the Momentum.  I am reminded again why I have not used the 650 for so long now.  The HD800 replaced them as did the LCD-3 replaced my HD800 for most sources.  In the case of the Momentum, it's just so handy.  I will be using these in the subways for sure.  The Shure 535s will still home.

 

Oh yes, the Momentum stays on the head, unlike the Philips Fidelio L1 which can fall off when I run.

 

 

Can you report how well they isolate in the subway when you have a chance? I use HD25s in the subway while they do a good job, I've always wanted a portable circumaural that can do as good a job.

post #476 of 3219
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

solo is boomy and muddy, not so much punchy, it doesn't have so much of the edge in the bass

I've never heard the solos. I just figured punchy bass is a characteristic of on ear headphones like the hd25 and the amperiors. But muddy bass is a beats by dre signature sound so that makes sense.

The denon d600 are boomy and man what a boom. I think sensation is a good word to describe it. You feel the rumble but the problem is the headphones are a bit to airy, not in a good way. I mean the cups don't creat a good seal so you loose the punchyness. The momentums when I tried them out seemed like they had a similar rumble but it wasn't as powerful (at almost half the price it's expected). Next time I go into JR ill spend a little more time with the momentums.

The more headphones I'm trying out the more I am beginning to understand that maybe it's impossible to have it all. You have to sacrifice one aspect of sound to gain another. Oh well. This week I'm going to try the hd 650 with my fiio e17.
post #477 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunolimit View Post


I've never heard the solos. I just figured punchy bass is a characteristic of on ear headphones like the hd25 and the amperiors. But muddy bass is a beats by dre signature sound so that makes sense.
The denon d600 are boomy and man what a boom. I think sensation is a good word to describe it. You feel the rumble but the problem is the headphones are a bit to airy, not in a good way. I mean the cups don't creat a good seal so you loose the punchyness. The momentums when I tried them out seemed like they had a similar rumble but it wasn't as powerful (at almost half the price it's expected). Next time I go into JR ill spend a little more time with the momentums.
The more headphones I'm trying out the more I am beginning to understand that maybe it's impossible to have it all. You have to sacrifice one aspect of sound to gain another. Oh well. This week I'm going to try the hd 650 with my fiio e17.

Before you think it is impossible, I recommend checking out the M-100.

post #478 of 3219
This is a newbie question, but I'll ask it anyway: I received my Momentums a few days ago as I wanted an alternative to IEMs what worked well with an iPhone. It's more or less my first high-quality headphones. I figured I'd "burn them in", so I simply hooked them up for about 20 hours straight playing random music, but at moderate volume (equivalent to about 1/3 the max setting on the phone). Of course, I then started researching "burn in" on this and other sites, and came up with "must do it" to "won't make a difference" to "don't do it continuously for 20 hours or else you will damage them." Seriously - I don't care if it was a waste of time, but could playing music at moderate volume for 20 hours straight on them actually damage them? (For what it's worth, they sound great. More on that later.) Many thanks in advance.
post #479 of 3219

I leave my headphones on continuously sometimes for days at regular volume.  Don't worry.  As long as you do not over load your headphones, as they do not have fuses like some speakers.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesK View Post

This is a newbie question, but I'll ask it anyway: I received my Momentums a few days ago as I wanted an alternative to IEMs what worked well with an iPhone. It's more or less my first high-quality headphones. I figured I'd "burn them in", so I simply hooked them up for about 20 hours straight playing random music, but at moderate volume (equivalent to about 1/3 the max setting on the phone). Of course, I then started researching "burn in" on this and other sites, and came up with "must do it" to "won't make a difference" to "don't do it continuously for 20 hours or else you will damage them." Seriously - I don't care if it was a waste of time, but could playing music at moderate volume for 20 hours straight on them actually damage them? (For what it's worth, they sound great. More on that later.) Many thanks in advance.
post #480 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Before you think it is impossible, I recommend checking out the M-100.

I really want to but where do i get them besides online?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review