Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review - Page 150

post #2236 of 3219

I just had a thought.... Is it possible to replace the pads on the Momentums with something bigger?

post #2237 of 3219

anyone with pics on how the pads are attached?

post #2238 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

anyone with pics on how the pads are attached?

See bottom right photo

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

The earpad on one side started to become a little mis-shapen, so I decided to take the pad off and try to re-shape the foam inside.
I took it as an opportunity to post up some hi-res driver pics, as I couldn't find any on the interwebs. Enjoy.

 

 

 

The last photo just shows how THIN the actual enclosure is. It almost surprised me how thin it was. 

 

WOO SELF QUOTE!!

 

You just need to 'stretch' the outer ring of the earpad around the baffle flange.


Edited by GREQ - 6/20/13 at 4:07am
post #2239 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

See bottom right photo



WOO SELF QUOTE!!


You just need to 'stretch' the outer ring of the earpad around the baffle flange.

I tried doing that, but I could only increase circumference by maybe 3-5mm - not much. I was actually thinking about buying some fabric and foam and sewing my own custom earpads, but I never started doing that...
post #2240 of 3219

They do actually fit around my ears but I was thinking maybe bigger pads would help the soundstage a bit, although Sennheiser know what they are doing so the pads they have already are probably the best sound with the rest of the headphones drivers / cups etc...

 

I do find it a bit odd why they made the Momentums so small though... They are not really very portable or foldable, yet they are still a bit too small for normal home use, they are still good but I imagine they would be better if they were 25% bigger. Bit of an odd decision from Sennheiser.

post #2241 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

See bottom right photo

 

 

WOO SELF QUOTE!!

 

You just need to 'stretch' the outer ring of the earpad around the baffle flange.

 

greq, thks for the fotos....the size reminds me of denon1100...krk kns8400

not sure how they could be installed unless destructively.

post #2242 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

They do actually fit around my ears but I was thinking maybe bigger pads would help the soundstage a bit, although Sennheiser know what they are doing so the pads they have already are probably the best sound with the rest of the headphones drivers / cups etc...

 

I do find it a bit odd why they made the Momentums so small though... They are not really very portable or foldable, yet they are still a bit too small for normal home use, they are still good but I imagine they would be better if they were 25% bigger. Bit of an odd decision from Sennheiser.


I agree, it's a bit of an odd duck. I love it though! I'm telling you, a pair of Momentum and an Audio Quest Dragon Fly is all most people would ever need (as long as they have small'ish ears!) Like I said before I do not use these as portable headphones.

post #2243 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post


I agree, it's a bit of an odd duck. I love it though! I'm telling you, a pair of Momentum and an Audio Quest Dragon Fly is all most people would ever need (as long as they have small'ish ears!) Like I said before I do not use these as portable headphones.

 

Yep I do not think I have tried a pair of headphones at ~£200 which are such good all rounders and do so little wrong... They are good for relaxing with slow music, listening to loud bassy music, electronic music, instruments, voices... Pretty much anything you throw at them, they do very nicely. Also they have good detail whilst not being sibilant or fatiguing, good mids while not being too thick or too thin / cold, and good bass which can be EQ for bassheads.


Edited by nicholars - 6/20/13 at 11:31am
post #2244 of 3219

To anyone who's interested: Justin from HeadAmp is doing a demo program with the Momentums and you can sign up right now. Sign ups end soon but apparently not a lot of people have signed up for the Momentums so he might keep sign-ups open longer. Its free you just have to pay the shipping to the next person in line. This is a chance to tryout the Momentums alongside your existing headphones and equipment. Its a great opportunity.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-fostex-hifiman-sennheiser-stax-sign-up-now

post #2245 of 3219

HWould this sound to dark if I equed up everyting under 250 khz up .4db and everything above 8k khz down .3db. I can notice fractions of decibels.

post #2246 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairyvic View Post

HWould this sound to dark if I equed up everyting under 250 khz up .4db and everything above 8k khz down .3db. I can notice fractions of decibels.

 

Well no because .3/.4db is not a lot at all, will not make much difference over just leaving them flat. If you EQ them by about 1db then it will make a difference, if you go much more than that then it starts to mess up the sound too much.


Edited by nicholars - 6/25/13 at 4:05pm
post #2247 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

 

Well no because .3/.4db is not a lot at all, will not make much difference over just leaving them flat. If you EQ them by about 1db then it will make a difference, if you go much more than that then it starts to mess up the sound too much.


+3db is almost the minimum needed to notice a difference, and it actually means double power... (sound is logarithmic)


Edited by musiclife - 7/8/13 at 9:12am
post #2248 of 3219
It depends what difference. 3dB is for perceived sound volume, but take for example the difference between left and right channel and here you would easily notice less than 1dB.
post #2249 of 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolas View Post

It depends what difference. 3dB is for perceived sound volume, but take for example the difference between left and right channel and here you would easily notice less than 1dB.

Are you talking about 1dB less in the bass in one channel, or the WHOLE channel being 1dB less?

Because if it's JUST the bass, I would disagree. I think most people wouldn't immediately notice a 1dB change in just the bass in one channel.

post #2250 of 3219

I can notice changes of about 0.5db but anything under that there is not much point, I use the foobar 31 band EQ and adjust it in steps of 0.5. It is a very good EQ by the way if you are not already using it. Much better than the default one on Foobar.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review