Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review - Page 98

post #1456 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondlin View Post

I got these today !

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Great photos! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do :P

post #1457 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelfan View Post

I would like to believe you...but the article I linked shows the considerable cup size difference between HD598 and HD600/650.  Further the reviewer

refutes what you write.  To my eye, the HD598 has clearly smaller ear openings compared to the HD600/650. 

You will make me a believer if you post pictures of each headhphone with a major/minor diameter axis comparison.  Otherwise I will side with the reviewer.

 

Its pretty well known one of the reasons the HD600/650 is so popular aside from sound signature is the copious amount of room inside the ear cups for big ears. 

 

i have used both the HD650 and the HD558 (different model but same dimentions) and both the earcups are very big. the Momentum has much smaller earcups like the HD202.
i would get back to you when i get the chance to head over to the audio shop this friday.

post #1458 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

 

i have used both the HD650 and the HD558 (different model but same dimentions) and both the earcups are very big. the Momentum has much smaller earcups like the HD202.
i would get back to you when i get the chance to head over to the audio shop this friday.

I concede your point about the Momentum being smaller...however I have tested both the HD598 and HD600/650.  To me, I believe the reviewer is correct.  The ear pad hole feels larger on the HD600/650.

 

If you have access to HD558/598 and HD600/650...a dimensional comparison would be greatly appreciated.  Since the ear pad holes are asymmetric for all models, two dimensions for each would

be preferred.  I actually am interested in the HD598 in fact for its fun sound signature.  But because of my big ears, I am more inclined to go with the HD600/650 because again my perception agrees with the link I provided.

 

So, if you could perform this dimensional comparison, it would be most helpful to those of us with bigger ears seeking a comfortable fit.

 

Many thanks.

post #1459 of 3002

Hey all, sorry if this questions already been asked, but how do these perform with metal? 

post #1460 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post

Hey all, sorry if this questions already been asked, but how do these perform with metal? 

Metal sounds good on these, but there are moments where I would prefer a little more 'attack' or 'crunch' in the guitar treble. (The treble is slightly veiled; in volume, not detail).

But for complex multi-layered symphonic metal, ALL the details and instruments are present and separated perfectly - I'm thinking Serj Tankien here.

post #1461 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post

Hey all, sorry if this questions already been asked, but how do these perform with metal? 

 

I'm not really a metal-head, I just listen to a couple of thrash bands because cousin influence (he used to lead a thrash band), but in his opinion my Momentum suits very well to trash or metal in general, because they feel fast, and fine distortions of the guitars are really well rendered.

 

I guess we'll have to wait for more experienced opinions.

post #1462 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by SivaMira View Post

IMO, one of the flaw design in earcup for MOMENTUM is as show in the pic below:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5197/900x900pxllee9d563bdsc0.jpg

The line between the Cloth and Deer-Skin(IIRC) is staying way too outside and that line end up touching your ears. The worse part is, that line is not soft and it is rather hard and it will hurt your ears after wearing it for a long period of time.

+1
The leather earpads feel very nice on the skin. I don't understand why the earpads are composed of two different matrials stiched together
instead of just leather. The stichting is kind of stiff and not soft at all and uncomfortable in the end for me.

As already mentioned I also think the bass is too loose and the sound signature overall too warm.
Besides the momentum I currently own the UE 6000. The sound signature is similar, though I think the UE 6000 is a bit better.
Bass is tigther and voices a littler more forward. I also think the UE 6000 is more comfortable though heavier.

Just in terms of pure SQ they are not worth 300$+ imho.
Edited by frix - 2/25/13 at 2:05pm
post #1463 of 3002

Sennheiser already has sound down, but i would rather them try to be a bit more portable with their cans. Or something new, that can be more portable. I'd be all over foldable momentum's

post #1464 of 3002

There are already too many portable folding cans available. Sennheiser needs to regroup and make a great sounding headphone. They lost the plot after the HD600. They had the perfect pads and housing to compliment their drivers. Add on an after-marker cable and many found sonic and musical nirvana. If they could come up with a smaller version of a similar design...

post #1465 of 3002

removed


Edited by Cristello - 9/5/13 at 9:42am
post #1466 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristello View Post

Why not shrink an HD800?
Would probably affect the sound acoustics in some way. I think they might of been trying that when they made the HD 700. But if they can successfully do it, then good for them.
post #1467 of 3002

first post on this here forum, thought i would help everybody out with the dimensions of the cups.

 

i have the 598s and the momentums.

 

598s - height 70mm width 40mm

momentum - height 52mm width 34mm

 

and for any americans out there

 

598s - height 2.75in width 1.57in

momentum - height 2in width 1.33in

post #1468 of 3002
Quote:
Originally Posted by frix View Post


+1
The leather earpads feel very nice on the skin. I don't understand why the earpads are composed of two different matrials stiched together
instead of just leather. The stichting is kind of stiff and not soft at all and uncomfortable in the end for me.
 

 

If the earpads were totally leather the sound would be completely different. Leather doesn't really let air or sound through (much), but opening up the earpads with fabric allows for a bigger soundstage, and more air.

I can only assume (from my past experiments and DIY projects) that a fully leather earpad would make the bass bloated and take away the 'air' to the sound.


Bose use a similar technique on their triport headphones - it's a small enclosure, but with quite deep earpads made of thick foam surrounded with fabric.

Take away the foam and the deep bass disappears. I even put the foam into other headphones/earpads and could hear the bass suddenly extend and increase in volume. 

post #1469 of 3002
Very nice review and look very awesome. It is funny, but the ear cups look just like the Nuforce HP-800's I just purchased! If they are even close, the cover surrounding the foam/etc underneath feel very eerily like REAL skin. Uncanny! But, they really feel too comfy, considering Nuforce uses comfort foam underneath them. Just an observation!
I have owned many Sennheiser products in my years and these look to be high quality, including the nice case they come with.
post #1470 of 3002

the sound of the momentum isn't airy anyway.

But yes there is probably a reason why they did it this way.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review