I had the opportunity to hear these today, though not for very long. I was really impressed with them though. Especially considering the look and feel. It sounded to me like an improved version of the Denon AH-D1100.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Battle of the premium portables... :) Last post on 11/30/13 at 11:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Battle of the portable headphones! Last post on 12/6/13 at 9:05pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphones for a student on the go. Last post on 3/29/13 at 9:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need good cans for my arrow 4g Last post on 3/19/13 at 11:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser Amperior: The Rivals? Last post on 3/17/13 at 2:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I've completed my review on this headphone and it is currently waiting to go live elsewhere first. After a few days, it will be posted here. This headphone is a real winner. I am truly amazed by...
AK120 I feel like there is an epidemic looming over the heads of most Hi-Fi audio music player designers. Most just can't seem to get it right and so few end up with a solid...
first thing first , if you have doubts , please let me clear them , these are some of the best $20 phones in this world . secondly , thanks to razzer001 , thanks man ,...
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
So, I've owned the 4.A and 4.ai as well as the ER4S and wanted to try something different. In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on the Noble 4, but I recall that the infamous dip with the...
Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review - Page 9post #121 of 27269/19/12 at 1:15pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #122 of 27269/19/12 at 1:39pmQuote:
The L1 has much bigger ear cups. L1's completely cover my ears. Clamping force is less on the Momentum's, but I find the L1's comfortable also but the Momentum has the edge. The Momentum has a livelier presentation. It's more aggressive than the L1's but not overly so. It's definitely not dark. I find the L1's kind of dark too and a relaxing sound sig. The Momentum has more energy.Quote:
The L1's have a deeper stage. Not sure about width. The Momentum just sounds better all around. Music is more engaging.post #123 of 27269/19/12 at 1:53pm
What more needs to be said? Looks like Sennheiser hit one out of the park. Quick! Everyone go buy one so we can really get this hype-train started!post #124 of 27269/19/12 at 1:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by TowwersQuote:
LOL I think they look cool... in a geeky way. However, definitely not sexy...
Dunno, Jude's a got a pic of me wearing his Amperiors... Never seen it myself, and until I do, Ima assume that I look effin fly. You know, or not.post #125 of 27269/19/12 at 2:02pmpost #126 of 27269/19/12 at 2:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by DannyBai
The L1 has much bigger ear cups. L1's completely cover my ears. Clamping force is less on the Momentum's, but I find the L1's comfortable also but the Momentum has the edge. The Momentum has a livelier presentation. It's more aggressive than the L1's but not overly so. It's definitely not dark. I find the L1's kind of dark too and a relaxing sound sig. The Momentum has more energy.
Thanks a lot. So I should consider the Momentum to sit on (parts) of my ears... too bad.
Glad to hear they are not too dark tough... Maybe I'll just have to try them out myself.
Edit: just saw the photos. OK, that is quite a difference in size... many thanks for your efforts.
Edited by plakat - 9/19/12 at 2:07pmpost #127 of 27269/19/12 at 2:10pmpost #128 of 27269/19/12 at 2:12pm
So Momentum isn't quite supra aural and isn't quite circumaural. It isn't quite a basshead can, but also isn't a reference can, yet most reviews are good. Razordogdeals is sold out again, good for them getting a jump on everyone. I need to try for myself to see if these are for me, definitely piquing curiosity. Someone mentioned these would be sold at Best Buy which is great for auditioning, but cause for concern as I can't think of one headphone Best Buy sells in-store (even Magnolia) that I would buy.
post #129 of 27269/19/12 at 2:12pmQuote:
At the moment I don't have anything to measure them with but if no one else does in the next day or so I will see what I can do. Not high end grade... IMHO for the price point and purpose they are excellent.post #130 of 27269/19/12 at 2:44pmpost #131 of 27269/19/12 at 2:52pm
Who knows when Sound Earphones will get them in (as well as the Amperior) but they sell Sennheiser products and have a deal now that you can buy $100 gift cards for $75 with the code dealzmodo. You can buy and use multiple gift codes at one time. That could be a competitive price...post #132 of 27269/19/12 at 3:14pm
Took a quick listen and wanted to get some thoughts out.
In regards to the size a quick, albeit unscientific measure shows, the inner part of the cups are almost as big as the ATH-m50 (but the m50s are thicker, but that could just be the age of my m50s, which is about 2 years old). The cups are mounted on a ball joint which seems stiff enough on it's own and seems to be more elegant solution the the k550's "2D-Axis mechanism" and combined with the excellent clamping force is excellent and there are no worries about the headphones slipping due to... 'momentum' (sorry had to do it!). The build quality of the case is excellent and far exceeds my expectations, this is one of the nicest 'unboxings' in a while!
Compared to the m50, the bass is definitely pushed up. But I would not classify this as a bass head can either, definitely reminds me of HD650 (and this is from iPod's headphone jack; my ALO National is charging). In typical Sennheiser fashion the the mids and highs are silky smooth and layering is much better then the m50s. The m50s are definitely 'monitoring' cans and, although I'd never classify the m50s as 'sterile,' next to the Momentum I can't help but wish the m50s were most musical. Sound-off passive isolation goes to the Momentum due to the ever so slightly stronger clamp, but then that could also be due to my m50's age. The leather is definately an upgrade over the m50s pleather and long term use seems to be better on the Momentum (I've had them on for the duration of Buena Vista Social Club without a sweat).
The initial listen definitely made me think of the D1100 (which is my personal reference 'bass head can', even more then the LCD2.2). But after a quick A-B, the Momentum is definitely more 'refined'. I found the D1100 has more bass quantity, but in a boomy way, which in itself is not a big deal, but the Momentum is significantly smoother thru the mids and highs (I still find the D1100 more then a bit sibilant and no amount of burn-in has reduced that). The D1100 has such a 'V-Shaped' sound signature that I just can't seem to get into, but I keep them around for reviews like this (and the occasional time I listen to electronic music). The Momentums definitely trounces the D1100 in build quality.
Compared to the k550, the clamping force and thus the ease of fit definitely goes to the Momentum's. I absolutely LOVE the clarity of the mid range and sound stage of the k550 vs Momentum (that is not say the Momentums are muddy in the least). In the overall balance, however, the bass NEEDS to be there and getting proper bass without a proper seal on the k550 has me searching for another portable pair of headphones. It will be hard to let the k550 go, but I'm confident that AKG will release a k55x to address the clamping/bass in which case and I'd be first in line to pick them up. The layering in both cans are excellent, but an edge goes to the k550 in sound stage. Once you get the all elusive proper seal, the k550 would be more of a 'reference' set of headphones over the Momentum for at home use, but alast I'm in the market for a new portable can and the Momentum's seems to have checked all the boxes that the k550 missed! The k550s are going back to the store, 2 days before the return policy expires.
If I was to have one complaint, it would be the thinness of the cable. I wish Sennheiser provided a thicker, beefier one considering they are marketing these headphones for portable use.Bass: Double check.Mids: Check.Highs: Check minusPortability potential: Triple checkAmp requirements: LowBuild Quality; excellent.PRaT: Toe tapping, but not rock out like a pair of Grados are.All reviews done via 1st gen iPod Touch directly from the iPods' headphone out jack. No external amp, no external DAC.More impressions after I get more time!
Edited by GloryUprising - 9/19/12 at 5:41pmpost #133 of 27269/19/12 at 3:32pmpost #134 of 27269/19/12 at 3:40pmpost #135 of 27269/19/12 at 3:43pm
- Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 6 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 7 seconds ago
- › New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800 37 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › What book are you reading right now? 2 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 4 minutes ago
- › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 6 minutes ago
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Brainwavz Delta by suman134
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe