I have a pair of Sennheiser HD380's and I like them. I had the HD280's for a while but they weren't that comfortable for me. I listen to music almost exclusively from my computer. I do a little gaming as well. Originally I was plugging them straight into the integrated audio on my motherboard, which sounded abhorrent, so I bought a Creative X-Fi Titanium, which improved the sound incredibly. I have heard more and more that amplifiers can greatly benefit some headphones, so naturally, I have been doing some research on an amplifier. I am also confused about whether or not I need a DAC, or does my sound card already do this? I was looking at the Fiio E10, Nuforce u-DAC-2, or Nuforce HDP. Or would these things make the soundcard I purchased not do anything? I might end up trying out more closed headphones in the future such as AKG K271 mkii, Beyerdynamic DT770. I've been sticking to closed designs because I have roommates, otherwise I would probably buy some Sennheiser HD650's. I am just starting to get into something other than basic audio and I only have a rudimentary grasp on some of these things.
- productAKG K271 MKII Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productFiiO E10tagged by System, 9/17/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/17/12
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 9/17/12
- productNuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for headphones for ~£200! Last post on 11/10/12 at 4:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K550 AMP or Soundcard Last post on 10/29/12 at 12:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help needed to pick an amp for DT 770 80 Ω Last post on 6/24/12 at 1:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This is a review of the Accutone Pisces HD IEM’s. The Accutone Pisces HD was sent to me from Accutone for the purpose of me reviewing it. I’d like to grab the opportunity to say thank you to...
The FILL Wireless is a very capable and a genuinely nice Headphone. It offers pretty good Sound with the help of the Active DSP but...it is in serious trouble because of it's price and...
https://store.thinksound.com/ I would like to give a hearty thanks to Thinksound's Aaron Fournier for reaching out to me for this review. I was provided with a review sample of the ON2...
This is a review of the Burson Audio Cable+ RCA to RCA active cable. The Burson Audio Cable+ was sent to me by Burson Audio for me as a loaner unit to test it out, thanks to Burson Audio for...
Most people balk at spending more than $20 on a pair of headphones, given the disposable history of a typical portable consumer headphones for the past 35 years. Music lovers who do invest in a...
Amplifier?post #1 of 59/15/12 at 12:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/15/12 at 12:56am
Getting a dac is not absolutely necessary. It's just that many people find that a dac improves the sound, most likely due the better chipset used in the dac compared to the stock sound card. It just depends on how much you want to improve the sound.post #3 of 510/12/12 at 3:58pmThread Starterpost #4 of 510/12/12 at 5:04pmQuote:
That's easy. Get the best closed headphone available. D2000s and the A900x are fantastic closed cans. Your sound card will be enough to drive these, amps for stuff like this is overrated in terms of sound improvements, and frankly unnecessary. If $5000 amps could make my HD428s sound like LCD-2s, I wouldn't have bought a LCD-2 now, wouldn't I?post #5 of 510/12/12 at 5:38pmQuote:
DAC's aren't absolutely necessary? I though they were
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 15 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 2 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Wizard Savanna Giveaway! 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 7 minutes ago
- › Hidizs AP60 8 minutes ago
- › Accutone Pisces HD by peter123
- › FIIL Wireless by MrTechAgent
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by Dsnuts
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by peter123
- › BeyerDynamic DT 1990 PRO 250 Ohm Open Studio Headphones (710490) by Fastnbulbous
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by Fastnbulbous
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Fastnbulbous
- › 1MORE MK801 Over-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and Remote... by glassmonkey
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by zamroni
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless by Rafique Adzam
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...