I have a pair of Sennheiser HD380's and I like them. I had the HD280's for a while but they weren't that comfortable for me. I listen to music almost exclusively from my computer. I do a little gaming as well. Originally I was plugging them straight into the integrated audio on my motherboard, which sounded abhorrent, so I bought a Creative X-Fi Titanium, which improved the sound incredibly. I have heard more and more that amplifiers can greatly benefit some headphones, so naturally, I have been doing some research on an amplifier. I am also confused about whether or not I need a DAC, or does my sound card already do this? I was looking at the Fiio E10, Nuforce u-DAC-2, or Nuforce HDP. Or would these things make the soundcard I purchased not do anything? I might end up trying out more closed headphones in the future such as AKG K271 mkii, Beyerdynamic DT770. I've been sticking to closed designs because I have roommates, otherwise I would probably buy some Sennheiser HD650's. I am just starting to get into something other than basic audio and I only have a rudimentary grasp on some of these things.
- productAKG K271 MKII Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productFiiO E10tagged by System, 9/17/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/17/12
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 9/17/12
- productNuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for headphones for ~£200! Last post on 11/10/12 at 4:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K550 AMP or Soundcard Last post on 10/29/12 at 12:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help needed to pick an amp for DT 770 80 Ω Last post on 6/24/12 at 1:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This will be a short review as there are a few other reviews that go into great depth listing all of the specs. I mainly joined this tour to basically get another chance at the X7 and try the amp...
It beats my old Marantz HD-DAC1 in every way. Clarity, smooth, details... my HD650 seems not able to show its full potential. I assume, K812 or T1 will be better match. My K1000 shows new life...
About me: [[SPOILER]] Preamble:Looking down at the vast landscape of Head-Fi and audio technology in general, I have noticed quite a few things over the past two years. Firstly, the crazy products,...
Introduction – It can be hard to find a rational reason to purchase a set of bookshelf speakers when there are so many fantastic computer out there that offer more features and similar sound...
Gear references Favourite: D2000 (balanced with sub-bass and upper-midrange emphasis) Neutrality: SRH940 (though with a slight treble emphasis) IEM reference: Aurisonics...
Amplifier?post #1 of 59/15/12 at 12:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/15/12 at 12:56am
Getting a dac is not absolutely necessary. It's just that many people find that a dac improves the sound, most likely due the better chipset used in the dac compared to the stock sound card. It just depends on how much you want to improve the sound.post #3 of 510/12/12 at 3:58pmThread Starterpost #4 of 510/12/12 at 5:04pmQuote:
That's easy. Get the best closed headphone available. D2000s and the A900x are fantastic closed cans. Your sound card will be enough to drive these, amps for stuff like this is overrated in terms of sound improvements, and frankly unnecessary. If $5000 amps could make my HD428s sound like LCD-2s, I wouldn't have bought a LCD-2 now, wouldn't I?post #5 of 510/12/12 at 5:38pmQuote:
DAC's aren't absolutely necessary? I though they were
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › GRADO STATEMENT GS2000e - Review and First Impressions 56 seconds ago
- › HD650 to LCD-2 - Was it worth it? 1 minute ago
- › Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1 1 minute ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 1 minute ago
- › The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016) 3 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Lake People G109 / G103 thread 5 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Vivo Xplay 3S + XE800 Mobile audio perfection 6 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 6 minutes ago
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by crinacle
- › Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2 by ExpatinJapan
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by B9Scrambler
- › Gigaset Earphones by B9Scrambler
- › OPPO HA-2 by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...