I have a pair of Sennheiser HD380's and I like them. I had the HD280's for a while but they weren't that comfortable for me. I listen to music almost exclusively from my computer. I do a little gaming as well. Originally I was plugging them straight into the integrated audio on my motherboard, which sounded abhorrent, so I bought a Creative X-Fi Titanium, which improved the sound incredibly. I have heard more and more that amplifiers can greatly benefit some headphones, so naturally, I have been doing some research on an amplifier. I am also confused about whether or not I need a DAC, or does my sound card already do this? I was looking at the Fiio E10, Nuforce u-DAC-2, or Nuforce HDP. Or would these things make the soundcard I purchased not do anything? I might end up trying out more closed headphones in the future such as AKG K271 mkii, Beyerdynamic DT770. I've been sticking to closed designs because I have roommates, otherwise I would probably buy some Sennheiser HD650's. I am just starting to get into something other than basic audio and I only have a rudimentary grasp on some of these things.
- productAKG K271 MKII Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productFiiO E10tagged by System, 9/17/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/17/12
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 9/17/12
- productNuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for headphones for ~£200! Last post on 11/10/12 at 4:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K550 AMP or Soundcard Last post on 10/29/12 at 12:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help needed to pick an amp for DT 770 80 Ω Last post on 6/24/12 at 1:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Purchased these this week, and had them replaced with another set - which exhibited the same flaw. Two may be a curse, but they both did the same thing so I would be wary. When on standby,...
Synopsis: The RD3 is part of the next generation of earphones from Rhapsodio. Powered by a single high-end dynamic driver, it has a warm sound and a hearty bass response. The RD3’s design...
Synopsis: The Spectrum Series G10 is the next generation universal fit stage monitor from Future Sonics. Replacing the Atrio with a new driver, housing, and cables, the G10 surpasses it in detail...
Introduction: I received the Cayin N6 as a tour unit that was generously provided by CTC Audio. CTC Audio focuses on making brands that aren’t as accessible in North America, mostly from Asia,...
The Shure SE215 is the first IEM I owned and was the one that brought me in head-fi. I got mine for around $95 at the time after reading some reviews online here and there. Since then, I've learned...
Amplifier?post #1 of 59/15/12 at 12:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/15/12 at 12:56am
Getting a dac is not absolutely necessary. It's just that many people find that a dac improves the sound, most likely due the better chipset used in the dac compared to the stock sound card. It just depends on how much you want to improve the sound.post #3 of 510/12/12 at 3:58pmThread Starterpost #4 of 510/12/12 at 5:04pmQuote:
That's easy. Get the best closed headphone available. D2000s and the A900x are fantastic closed cans. Your sound card will be enough to drive these, amps for stuff like this is overrated in terms of sound improvements, and frankly unnecessary. If $5000 amps could make my HD428s sound like LCD-2s, I wouldn't have bought a LCD-2 now, wouldn't I?post #5 of 510/12/12 at 5:38pmQuote:
DAC's aren't absolutely necessary? I though they were
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Reversible AKG K701 bass mod 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang 4 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 6 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio L2 6 minutes ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 7 minutes ago
- › Some People Remember How Equipment Sounds! 7 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 8 minutes ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 8 minutes ago
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › VSONIC GR07 by MRC001
- › Tube Amp LF-15 by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3