I have a pair of Sennheiser HD380's and I like them. I had the HD280's for a while but they weren't that comfortable for me. I listen to music almost exclusively from my computer. I do a little gaming as well. Originally I was plugging them straight into the integrated audio on my motherboard, which sounded abhorrent, so I bought a Creative X-Fi Titanium, which improved the sound incredibly. I have heard more and more that amplifiers can greatly benefit some headphones, so naturally, I have been doing some research on an amplifier. I am also confused about whether or not I need a DAC, or does my sound card already do this? I was looking at the Fiio E10, Nuforce u-DAC-2, or Nuforce HDP. Or would these things make the soundcard I purchased not do anything? I might end up trying out more closed headphones in the future such as AKG K271 mkii, Beyerdynamic DT770. I've been sticking to closed designs because I have roommates, otherwise I would probably buy some Sennheiser HD650's. I am just starting to get into something other than basic audio and I only have a rudimentary grasp on some of these things.
- productAKG K271 MKII Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productFiiO E10tagged by System, 9/17/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/17/12
- productNuForce Icon HDP (High-end Headphone Amp, USB DAC, Preamp)tagged by System, 9/17/12
- productNuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for headphones for ~£200! Last post on 11/10/12 at 4:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K550 AMP or Soundcard Last post on 10/29/12 at 12:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help needed to pick an amp for DT 770 80 Ω Last post on 6/24/12 at 1:50am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
At the time this review was written, the Earsonics S-EM9 was listed for sale on Musicteck’s online store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
HIFIMAN SuperMini review Oct 2016 INTRO Just some background on me with previous experience of daps and why I’ve arrived here at this point in time. ...In a Hi-Fi...
First of all, above any other factor, these are just SO COMFORTABLE!! There are very expensive headphones I used that sound really good but feel like someone is trying to crush my head. These have...
I think it is more of a smartphone gadget, than audiophiles device. It has the potential to save battery power when listening with portable devices. My subjective review of the sound: A little...
Introduction Simgot is a new name in Asian audio that is getting some attention with their new EN700 model. Supposedly, some that were involved in tuning the Ostry IEMs have tuned this one, so...
Amplifier?post #1 of 59/15/12 at 12:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/15/12 at 12:56am
Getting a dac is not absolutely necessary. It's just that many people find that a dac improves the sound, most likely due the better chipset used in the dac compared to the stock sound card. It just depends on how much you want to improve the sound.post #3 of 510/12/12 at 3:58pmThread Starterpost #4 of 510/12/12 at 5:04pmQuote:
That's easy. Get the best closed headphone available. D2000s and the A900x are fantastic closed cans. Your sound card will be enough to drive these, amps for stuff like this is overrated in terms of sound improvements, and frankly unnecessary. If $5000 amps could make my HD428s sound like LCD-2s, I wouldn't have bought a LCD-2 now, wouldn't I?post #5 of 510/12/12 at 5:38pmQuote:
DAC's aren't absolutely necessary? I though they were
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › FiiO X3ii (Six Weeks Old) 36 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 2 minutes ago
- › WTB: Schiit Jotunheim 230V [AUS] 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Shp2600 VS Sony XD150 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Rhapsodio thread 4 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 5 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 6 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 6 minutes ago
- › LKS Audio MH-DA003 6 minutes ago
- › Earsonics - S-EM9 in-ear Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by FortisFlyer75
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by Peter Zhang
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by Headzone
- › SIMGOT EN700 In Ear Dynamic Earphone 24Ω Original ... by bhazard
- › Sony MDR-CD2000 CD Series Headphones by leroik
- › iFi Pro iCAN by ostewart
- › Sennheiser HD 590 Headphones by aafanatic
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by glassmonkey
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by suman134
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...