- 10 Posts. Joined 6/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productdigiZoid ZO2 Personal hi-fi experiencetagged by System, 9/20/12
- productElectric Avenues PA2V2tagged by System, 9/20/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/20/12
- productJDS Labs CMoyBBtagged by System, 9/20/12
- productSennheiser Adidas HD 25-1 II Orginals Headphones (Black/Blue)tagged by System, 3/1/13
- productSennheiser Amperior On-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/20/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 9/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II Last post on 8/22/12 at 12:32pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Blox MC2 and amplification Last post on 7/3/12 at 12:07am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Portable Amp for my RHP-20 Last post on 6/17/12 at 8:47pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared Last post on 7/9/14 at 5:21pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
- Headphone Impedance
Amp for hd25-1II
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm using mine with the Digizoid ZO2 right now, and it definitely enriches the sound and give the phones a noticeable amount of energy. Now that I know amps do benefit the HD25, I'm currently looking for one with less coloration. It doesn't require an amp, but it does make an obvious difference. Depends what kind of sound you're looking for.
In my (pretty short) experience with Sennheiser HD-25-II, it doesn't need an amp or really benefit from one. You'd need a really anemic source to not be able to drive that sensitive headphone at 70 Ohm. (supposedly 120 dB/mW, I'd assume @ 1kHz.)
Sennheiser Amperior is more problematic due to low 16 Ohm impedance - a high impedance output will limit its bass quality.
ZO2 is not exactly what I'd call an amp - it's a portable equalizer. It's never quite linear enough.
Edited by AstralStorm - 9/16/12 at 8:43pm
well then, that was different than what you opened up with. I hope the leckerton works out for you :)
Yea, the HD25s are listenable through the iPhone, but there's an obvious lack in energy compared to my laptop.
To the OP, check out the JDS Labs cMoyBB - http://www.jdslabs.com/
Electric Avenue's PA2V2 - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=pa2v2&_sacat=0
Edited by Origin89 - 9/18/12 at 6:59am
I was really happy with my Rockboxed Clip Zip straight into my HD25. Nice and punchy, great detail and soundstage compared to my iPhone and you can dial in a lot more bass/treble if you want with the EQ settings. I'm sure an amp will help but if you are on a budget then I can strongly recommend a Clip Zip (as long as you Rockbox it).
cMoyBB is not a true cMoy, but a misnomer, as it uses a rail splitter as the virtual ground.
This will likely actually worsen noise and THD performance but make for less resistor matching, higher battery life. It might limit the current capability somewhat as well.
(Extra caution: TLE2426 has very bad current limiting behavior - large negative DC offset. Avoiding that requires large bypass caps which on the other hand require an opamp capable of driving capacitive load - the few faster ones known to me cannot do that. JRC4556 can though. TLE2426CLP is a bit stronger which helps as well.)
It cannot effectively drive very low impedances unfortunately due to lack of a dedicated current stage - trying that results in increased THD, actually worse than in a real cMoy since you'll overdrive the virtual ground as well.
In case of 70 Ohm relatively sensitive Sennheiser HD-25-II though, it shouldn't have problems.
Some on single stage amplifier opamps choices:
Old NE5532 or especially JRC4556 are a decent choice if your power supply is not too noisy (like batteries) and there's not too much DC offset. (well matched resistors, low gain)
OPA2277 and OPA2132 are bit more silent and lower DC, but quite a bit less capable in current department.
LM4562 is not good if you want to drive anything low impedance (< 150 Ohm) due to low current handling capability.
OPA2604, AD8397, AD8610 and AD8620 are also very poor for a cMoy, low on the current side and require extra stabilization and protection, possibly increasing output impedance and reducing power handling even more.
Edited by AstralStorm - 9/19/12 at 3:13am
- Amp for hd25-1II
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 26 seconds ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 32 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 39 seconds ago
- › D.C. Area Meet (Saturday, July 26th, 2014) - part of CanMania @... 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic T5p - Price Drop 2 minutes ago
- › Recommendation for toddlers headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Bifrost Uber- non USB 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › D marc0's Journal: My Head-fi Journey (NEW: T-PEOS Altone 200 Review!) 3 minutes ago
- › AKG Q701 question 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)