- 10 Posts. Joined 6/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productdigiZoid ZO2 Personal hi-fi experiencetagged by System, 9/20/12
- productElectric Avenues PA2V2tagged by System, 9/20/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/20/12
- productJDS Labs CMoyBBtagged by System, 9/20/12
- productSennheiser Adidas HD 25-1 II Orginals Headphones (Black/Blue)tagged by System, 3/1/13
- productSennheiser Amperior On-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/20/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 9/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II Last post on 8/22/12 at 12:32pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Blox MC2 and amplification Last post on 7/3/12 at 12:07am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Portable Amp for my RHP-20 Last post on 6/17/12 at 8:47pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared Last post on 11/27/13 at 2:02pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Best i-Device portable DAC ever listened to, very neutral and smooth like from a desktop DAC. Currently using it with my iPod touch 5 (Yes, it's support lightinig connector). I will prefer filter...
The entire Sony xba line is gorgeous: very sensitive and well executed lines, comfortable despite size, flat cable, nice case, a 90'plug. The first time I tried the Xba3 the sound wasn't...
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
Amp for hd25-1IIpost #1 of 139/14/12 at 8:18pmThread StarterI'm not really sure if this needs an amp. Yet it is 70 ohlms if it does need an amp what would be good under $100 that could be used portably.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 139/15/12 at 11:16am
I'm using mine with the Digizoid ZO2 right now, and it definitely enriches the sound and give the phones a noticeable amount of energy. Now that I know amps do benefit the HD25, I'm currently looking for one with less coloration. It doesn't require an amp, but it does make an obvious difference. Depends what kind of sound you're looking for.post #3 of 139/15/12 at 1:19pmThread Starterpost #4 of 139/16/12 at 7:59pmThread Starterpost #5 of 139/16/12 at 8:41pm
In my (pretty short) experience with Sennheiser HD-25-II, it doesn't need an amp or really benefit from one. You'd need a really anemic source to not be able to drive that sensitive headphone at 70 Ohm. (supposedly 120 dB/mW, I'd assume @ 1kHz.)
Sennheiser Amperior is more problematic due to low 16 Ohm impedance - a high impedance output will limit its bass quality.
ZO2 is not exactly what I'd call an amp - it's a portable equalizer. It's never quite linear enough.
Edited by AstralStorm - 9/16/12 at 8:43pmpost #6 of 139/17/12 at 7:46ampost #7 of 139/17/12 at 11:42ampost #8 of 139/17/12 at 6:28pmQuote:
well then, that was different than what you opened up with. I hope the leckerton works out for you :)post #9 of 139/17/12 at 7:42pmThread Starterpost #10 of 139/18/12 at 2:52ampost #11 of 139/18/12 at 6:55am
Yea, the HD25s are listenable through the iPhone, but there's an obvious lack in energy compared to my laptop.
To the OP, check out the JDS Labs cMoyBB - http://www.jdslabs.com/
Electric Avenue's PA2V2 - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=pa2v2&_sacat=0
Edited by Origin89 - 9/18/12 at 6:59ampost #12 of 139/18/12 at 7:52am
I was really happy with my Rockboxed Clip Zip straight into my HD25. Nice and punchy, great detail and soundstage compared to my iPhone and you can dial in a lot more bass/treble if you want with the EQ settings. I'm sure an amp will help but if you are on a budget then I can strongly recommend a Clip Zip (as long as you Rockbox it).post #13 of 139/19/12 at 2:55am
cMoyBB is not a true cMoy, but a misnomer, as it uses a rail splitter as the virtual ground.
This will likely actually worsen noise and THD performance but make for less resistor matching, higher battery life. It might limit the current capability somewhat as well.
(Extra caution: TLE2426 has very bad current limiting behavior - large negative DC offset. Avoiding that requires large bypass caps which on the other hand require an opamp capable of driving capacitive load - the few faster ones known to me cannot do that. JRC4556 can though. TLE2426CLP is a bit stronger which helps as well.)
It cannot effectively drive very low impedances unfortunately due to lack of a dedicated current stage - trying that results in increased THD, actually worse than in a real cMoy since you'll overdrive the virtual ground as well.
In case of 70 Ohm relatively sensitive Sennheiser HD-25-II though, it shouldn't have problems.
Some on single stage amplifier opamps choices:
Old NE5532 or especially JRC4556 are a decent choice if your power supply is not too noisy (like batteries) and there's not too much DC offset. (well matched resistors, low gain)
OPA2277 and OPA2132 are bit more silent and lower DC, but quite a bit less capable in current department.
LM4562 is not good if you want to drive anything low impedance (< 150 Ohm) due to low current handling capability.
OPA2604, AD8397, AD8610 and AD8620 are also very poor for a cMoy, low on the current side and require extra stabilization and protection, possibly increasing output impedance and reducing power handling even more.
Edited by AstralStorm - 9/19/12 at 3:13am
- Amp for hd25-1II
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
- › AD797 now sounds like it should 18 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD600/650 vs HiFiMan HE400 30 seconds ago
- › JDS Labs Modified O2 and New Charger, COMES WITH FREE OP AMPS... 1 minute ago
- › Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call) 1 minute ago
- › Jerry Harvey, The Rise of the In-Ear Monitor | Talks at Google 1 minute ago
- › New headset for listening to metal 2 minutes ago
- › Speaker wire for AC power cord 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › Can Con 4! Sydney, Australia Meet! 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Fostex HP-P1 by Jensenchua
- › Sony XBA-3SL by squallkiercosa
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob