- 10 Posts. Joined 6/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productdigiZoid ZO2 Personal hi-fi experiencetagged by System, 9/20/12
- productElectric Avenues PA2V2tagged by System, 9/20/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/20/12
- productJDS Labs CMoyBBtagged by System, 9/20/12
- productSennheiser Adidas HD 25-1 II Orginals Headphones (Black/Blue)tagged by System, 3/1/13
- productSennheiser Amperior On-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/20/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 9/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II Last post on 8/22/12 at 12:32pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Blox MC2 and amplification Last post on 7/3/12 at 12:07am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Portable Amp for my RHP-20 Last post on 6/17/12 at 8:47pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared Last post on 9/2/15 at 5:47am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
About Me I am in my fifties and have loved music and music equipment all my life. From about 8 years old, I had my first exposure to my mother’s reel to reel tape recorder. A few years later, I...
Introduction: I was asked by Brainwavz’/GPGSHK’s Pandora whether I was interested in reviewing their latest Brainwavz product, the Kidwavz KV100 that was especially designed for kids, so I...
At the time of the review, the Brainwavz Jive earphone was was on sale at Amazon’s website for $25.00 USD. Here is a link to Their listing of the...
You got a budget? You want Bluetooth Earphones? Buy the Qy7. Simple. Done. Easy. There is a little more to it though. Important features is the V4.1 Bluetooth connection, this...
What is Cozoy Aegis?: Did you remember Cozoy Astrapi DAC/AMP? Well this is the brother of it Aegis (right) Aegis (left) and Astrapi (right) Cozoy Aegis is a...
Amp for hd25-1IIpost #1 of 139/14/12 at 8:18pmThread StarterI'm not really sure if this needs an amp. Yet it is 70 ohlms if it does need an amp what would be good under $100 that could be used portably.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 139/15/12 at 11:16am
I'm using mine with the Digizoid ZO2 right now, and it definitely enriches the sound and give the phones a noticeable amount of energy. Now that I know amps do benefit the HD25, I'm currently looking for one with less coloration. It doesn't require an amp, but it does make an obvious difference. Depends what kind of sound you're looking for.post #3 of 139/15/12 at 1:19pmThread Starterpost #4 of 139/16/12 at 7:59pmThread Starterpost #5 of 139/16/12 at 8:41pm
In my (pretty short) experience with Sennheiser HD-25-II, it doesn't need an amp or really benefit from one. You'd need a really anemic source to not be able to drive that sensitive headphone at 70 Ohm. (supposedly 120 dB/mW, I'd assume @ 1kHz.)
Sennheiser Amperior is more problematic due to low 16 Ohm impedance - a high impedance output will limit its bass quality.
ZO2 is not exactly what I'd call an amp - it's a portable equalizer. It's never quite linear enough.
Edited by AstralStorm - 9/16/12 at 8:43pmpost #6 of 139/17/12 at 7:46ampost #7 of 139/17/12 at 11:42ampost #8 of 139/17/12 at 6:28pmQuote:
well then, that was different than what you opened up with. I hope the leckerton works out for you :)post #9 of 139/17/12 at 7:42pmThread Starterpost #10 of 139/18/12 at 2:52ampost #11 of 139/18/12 at 6:55am
Yea, the HD25s are listenable through the iPhone, but there's an obvious lack in energy compared to my laptop.
To the OP, check out the JDS Labs cMoyBB - http://www.jdslabs.com/
Electric Avenue's PA2V2 - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=pa2v2&_sacat=0
Edited by Origin89 - 9/18/12 at 6:59ampost #12 of 139/18/12 at 7:52am
I was really happy with my Rockboxed Clip Zip straight into my HD25. Nice and punchy, great detail and soundstage compared to my iPhone and you can dial in a lot more bass/treble if you want with the EQ settings. I'm sure an amp will help but if you are on a budget then I can strongly recommend a Clip Zip (as long as you Rockbox it).post #13 of 139/19/12 at 2:55am
cMoyBB is not a true cMoy, but a misnomer, as it uses a rail splitter as the virtual ground.
This will likely actually worsen noise and THD performance but make for less resistor matching, higher battery life. It might limit the current capability somewhat as well.
(Extra caution: TLE2426 has very bad current limiting behavior - large negative DC offset. Avoiding that requires large bypass caps which on the other hand require an opamp capable of driving capacitive load - the few faster ones known to me cannot do that. JRC4556 can though. TLE2426CLP is a bit stronger which helps as well.)
It cannot effectively drive very low impedances unfortunately due to lack of a dedicated current stage - trying that results in increased THD, actually worse than in a real cMoy since you'll overdrive the virtual ground as well.
In case of 70 Ohm relatively sensitive Sennheiser HD-25-II though, it shouldn't have problems.
Some on single stage amplifier opamps choices:
Old NE5532 or especially JRC4556 are a decent choice if your power supply is not too noisy (like batteries) and there's not too much DC offset. (well matched resistors, low gain)
OPA2277 and OPA2132 are bit more silent and lower DC, but quite a bit less capable in current department.
LM4562 is not good if you want to drive anything low impedance (< 150 Ohm) due to low current handling capability.
OPA2604, AD8397, AD8610 and AD8620 are also very poor for a cMoy, low on the current side and require extra stabilization and protection, possibly increasing output impedance and reducing power handling even more.
Edited by AstralStorm - 9/19/12 at 3:13am
- Amp for hd25-1II
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › New headphone amplifier from Bryston 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED! 3 minutes ago
- › AKG M220 semi-open studio headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X3 USB problem. 4 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 4 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone HFI-780 & FiiO E18 5 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 6 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Heaven VII by AndrewH13
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by HiFiChris
- › Brainwavz Jive by Hisoundfi
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by BloodyPenguin
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by Baycode
- › OPPO HA-2 by ClieOS
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Inearz IE-P650 6xBA driver CIEM by twister6
- › Creative Aurvana In-Ear3 by Fidelity King
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2