- 10 Posts. Joined 6/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- productdigiZoid ZO2 Personal hi-fi experiencetagged by System, 9/20/12
- productElectric Avenues PA2V2tagged by System, 9/20/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 9/20/12
- productJDS Labs CMoyBBtagged by System, 9/20/12
- productSennheiser Adidas HD 25-1 II Orginals Headphones (Black/Blue)tagged by System, 3/1/13
- productSennheiser Amperior On-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 9/20/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 9/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD25-1 II Last post on 8/22/12 at 12:32pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Blox MC2 and amplification Last post on 7/3/12 at 12:07am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Portable Amp for my RHP-20 Last post on 6/17/12 at 8:47pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared Last post on 8/23/16 at 2:33am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
I love the Beyerdynamic dt770 250 Ohms. After searching high and low for a closed back headphone I fell upon these knowing that I would carry an amp. With the Cayin C5 - High gain at about 2.5...
Amp for hd25-1IIpost #1 of 139/14/12 at 8:18pmThread StarterI'm not really sure if this needs an amp. Yet it is 70 ohlms if it does need an amp what would be good under $100 that could be used portably.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 139/15/12 at 11:16am
I'm using mine with the Digizoid ZO2 right now, and it definitely enriches the sound and give the phones a noticeable amount of energy. Now that I know amps do benefit the HD25, I'm currently looking for one with less coloration. It doesn't require an amp, but it does make an obvious difference. Depends what kind of sound you're looking for.post #3 of 139/15/12 at 1:19pmThread Starterpost #4 of 139/16/12 at 7:59pmThread Starterpost #5 of 139/16/12 at 8:41pm
In my (pretty short) experience with Sennheiser HD-25-II, it doesn't need an amp or really benefit from one. You'd need a really anemic source to not be able to drive that sensitive headphone at 70 Ohm. (supposedly 120 dB/mW, I'd assume @ 1kHz.)
Sennheiser Amperior is more problematic due to low 16 Ohm impedance - a high impedance output will limit its bass quality.
ZO2 is not exactly what I'd call an amp - it's a portable equalizer. It's never quite linear enough.
Edited by AstralStorm - 9/16/12 at 8:43pmpost #6 of 139/17/12 at 7:46ampost #7 of 139/17/12 at 11:42ampost #8 of 139/17/12 at 6:28pmQuote:
well then, that was different than what you opened up with. I hope the leckerton works out for you :)post #9 of 139/17/12 at 7:42pmThread Starterpost #10 of 139/18/12 at 2:52ampost #11 of 139/18/12 at 6:55am
Yea, the HD25s are listenable through the iPhone, but there's an obvious lack in energy compared to my laptop.
To the OP, check out the JDS Labs cMoyBB - http://www.jdslabs.com/
Electric Avenue's PA2V2 - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=pa2v2&_sacat=0
Edited by Origin89 - 9/18/12 at 6:59ampost #12 of 139/18/12 at 7:52am
I was really happy with my Rockboxed Clip Zip straight into my HD25. Nice and punchy, great detail and soundstage compared to my iPhone and you can dial in a lot more bass/treble if you want with the EQ settings. I'm sure an amp will help but if you are on a budget then I can strongly recommend a Clip Zip (as long as you Rockbox it).post #13 of 139/19/12 at 2:55am
cMoyBB is not a true cMoy, but a misnomer, as it uses a rail splitter as the virtual ground.
This will likely actually worsen noise and THD performance but make for less resistor matching, higher battery life. It might limit the current capability somewhat as well.
(Extra caution: TLE2426 has very bad current limiting behavior - large negative DC offset. Avoiding that requires large bypass caps which on the other hand require an opamp capable of driving capacitive load - the few faster ones known to me cannot do that. JRC4556 can though. TLE2426CLP is a bit stronger which helps as well.)
It cannot effectively drive very low impedances unfortunately due to lack of a dedicated current stage - trying that results in increased THD, actually worse than in a real cMoy since you'll overdrive the virtual ground as well.
In case of 70 Ohm relatively sensitive Sennheiser HD-25-II though, it shouldn't have problems.
Some on single stage amplifier opamps choices:
Old NE5532 or especially JRC4556 are a decent choice if your power supply is not too noisy (like batteries) and there's not too much DC offset. (well matched resistors, low gain)
OPA2277 and OPA2132 are bit more silent and lower DC, but quite a bit less capable in current department.
LM4562 is not good if you want to drive anything low impedance (< 150 Ohm) due to low current handling capability.
OPA2604, AD8397, AD8610 and AD8620 are also very poor for a cMoy, low on the current side and require extra stabilization and protection, possibly increasing output impedance and reducing power handling even more.
Edited by AstralStorm - 9/19/12 at 3:13am
- Amp for hd25-1II
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 42 seconds ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 4 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 4 minutes ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 4 minutes ago
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...