New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A gift question

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi, im a bit new in the audiophile thing, so i need some help to make a gift for a friend. The headphone that i have is the V-moda m 80, wich sounds amazing with the music i like (Techno, rock, metal). My friend has the same musical taste, so i decide to buy him a good headphone.The price range is between 50$-150$, he doesn´t have an amplifier and it doesn´t need to be perfect, just that sounds good enough

 

P.S. My dad is thinking to buy a headphone with noise cancelling, he said Bose, but i told him that im going to find him a better option, he likes rock, classical music , sort of that, the price range is between 50$-200$.

 

 

 

So, what should i buy to my friend?, and what my dad should buy?

post #2 of 9
Thread Starter 

Please, help me

post #3 of 9

This forum moves fast, but not that fast. It's usually considered reasonable to wait at least a few hours before you get worried about people ignoring you, especially when you post in the small hours of the morning (in the Americas, at least).

 

As to your question itself, I don't actually have any suggestion - I've never heard the V-Moda M80, and as such I have no idea what might sound like it for any money.

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 

ok, but, do you know any headphone for my dad?

post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresgomes View Post

ok, but, do you know any headphone for my dad?

Is this headphone for home or portable use? Active noise cancelling damages the sound quality. A better idea is to get a headphone that isolates well if isolation is needed. Open headphones that don't isolate are usually much more comfortable than isolating ones, and usually provide better sound stage. For  isolation, comfort, and small size for easy portability, many choose an IEM(in the ear canal isolating earphone) rather than a headphone.

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1 View Post

Is this headphone for home or portable use? Active noise cancelling damages the sound quality. A better idea is to get a headphone that isolates well if isolation is needed. Open headphones that don't isolate are usually much more comfortable than isolating ones, and usually provide better sound stage. For  isolation, comfort, and small size for easy portability, many choose an IEM(in the ear canal isolating earphone) rather than a headphone.

I agree with this - I prefer a good isolating IEM rather than noise cancellation - and there's no battery to worry about. Of course, that also means your Dad needs to be comfortable with having something stuck pretty tightly into his ear canal. I would try something like the Shure 215 or the Westone UM1 - they are very comfortable, isolate well, sound good, don't need an amp and are WAY cheaper than Bose. If he doesn't like over the ear styles, then perhaps something like the Etymotic hf-5, or any of the other reasonably priced IEMs. With any of the ones I have listed, you also have the benefit of a wide selection of tips to try - Comply, Shure Olives, Tri-Flange, Silicone, etc, etc - in multiple sizes.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post


I agree with this - I prefer a good isolating IEM rather than noise cancellation - and there's no battery to worry about. Of course, that also means your Dad needs to be comfortable with having something stuck pretty tightly into his ear canal. I would try something like the Shure 215 or the Westone UM1 - they are very comfortable, isolate well, sound good, don't need an amp and are WAY cheaper than Bose. If he doesn't like over the ear styles, then perhaps something like the Etymotic hf-5, or any of the other reasonably priced IEMs. With any of the ones I have listed, you also have the benefit of a wide selection of tips to try - Comply, Shure Olives, Tri-Flange, Silicone, etc, etc - in multiple sizes.

Ok, going to tell that to my dad, and my friend, waht headphones do you recomend?

post #8 of 9

when i was looking to get new headphones i was given this answer by a member of the forum and it was very helpful:

 

what you do is go to this link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club

 

over there are lists of headphones according to their "type" (i.e basshead, treblehead, etc.).

 

find a couple that are in your price range and read alot of reviews and make up your mind according to that.

 

as someone who is new to all this myself i cant help you alot more than that. i do know that headphones that have a higher Impedance than around 80 ohms need an amp (although again, im new to all this too so i may be mistaken)

 

heres an external link that may be helpful: http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/

 

edit: heres a link to the recommendation thread where this post would have fitted in better: http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op


Edited by adamlr - 9/14/12 at 1:21pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresgomes View Post

Ok, going to tell that to my dad, and my friend, waht headphones do you recomend?

A headphone or an IEM(in the ear canal earphone)? You mentioned $50-$150. That is a wide range. What price do you prefer? Closed headphones will make ears overheat with extended use, except perhaps when out in the cold weather. For a closed headphone to isolate well it needs to be large or have strong clamping pressure. In general it is better not to have isolation unless you really need it. Isolation comes with a price as far as sound quality and comfort. Generally the better a headphone isolates the more uncomfortable it is for extended use(either due to clamping force, sweaty ears, or both). That is why IEMs are so popular. With an IEM one gets isolation and a small size without clamping pressure or hot ears. Using an IEM is like wearing ear plugs. Some people have trouble getting used to it. It is dangerous to have isolation at certain times, such as when walking through traffic intersections.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home