I'm looking for a comfortable pair of over-ear headphones for those long study sessions. After some research and your input, I've narrowed it down to these three- Ultrasone HIFI 580, Shure SRH 840, and Vmoda LP2. But that's where I get stuck. I do not know enough about headphones to make a decision, so that's where your help comes in. I listen to most types of music ranging from classical to dubstep to rock and everything in between. Also, with these models, should I buy an amp? I'll be listening to my music through my laptop or iPod. Any info you guys can give me (that I can understand haha) will help a ton.
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for a pair of comfortable headphones with quality sound for <$200 Last post on 9/13/12 at 8:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ath-m50 vs srh440 vs srh840 Last post on 8/1/12 at 2:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones under ~200 for the highs of trance and the lows of dubstep. ( Can't find... Last post on 10/25/12 at 11:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- What's the best headphone for under 200? Last post on 3/8/13 at 9:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about the term basshead headphones Last post on 11/27/12 at 10:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
I've become a big fan of wireless headphones over the years with aptx codec, bluetooth 4.0 technology, and li-ion batteries becoming the standard. This allows more of the battery to be dedicated to...
Ultrasone HIFI 580, Shure SRH 840, or Vmoda LP2?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 29/13/12 at 8:27pm
Well... The Ultrasones can be worn for long periods... provided you don't wear glasses or don't mind a bit of ear sweat. They tend to clamp quite hard as well. Can't vouch for the others for comfort or sound quality, but the Ultrasones are actually decent for most musics. The vocals can be a bit... artificial at points. Ultrasones do reasonably well with classical, but they shine with electronica.
- Ultrasone HIFI 580, Shure SRH 840, or Vmoda LP2?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 12 seconds ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic T1 - Completely Unimpressed 1 minute ago
- › New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+ 3 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 4 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 8 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 9 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Introduction, USA tour, and Head-Fi discount! 10 minutes ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 11 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...