Hiya, I'm new here. This is my third thread (first on this forum), hopefully I can actually get some answers here. I'm looking for new headphones (obviously). My current head[b]set[/b] (Steelseries Siberia v2, I can hear you guys vomiting as you read this) died a horrible death (mic on longer works and right ear has no sound. Funny that would happen though, my brother's pair doesn't have a working mic and my previous pair left ear doesn't work). I suppose anything from the below list will sound better than what I have currently. Anyway, my choices so far are as follows:
- Shure SRH240A
- Shure SRH840A (my friend is getting these, he listens to the same music and plays the same games as I do. He wants me to get these with him when he goes and gets his pair on Saturday (I live in Australia.))
My uses for them are as follows:
- Music: I listen to pretty much everything except for Country, Hip-hop, Rap and their variations. Here are some examples: Opeth - The Grand Conjuration, As I Lay Dying - Paralells, In Flames - Come Clarity, Ulver - It Is Not Sound, Cloudkicker - Dysphoria, Pendulum - Watercolour and Shinedown - Simple Man.
- Games: I play a large variety of games and most if not all of them are on my custom gaming rig. My main games at the moment are: Heroes of Newerth (Moba/Arts), Guild Wars 2 (MMORPG), Dota 2 (Moba/Arts), Planetside 2 (MMOFPS), World of Warcraft (MMORPG), Diablo 3 (Uhh...3rd person RTS/RPG/Dungeon Crawler?), Star Wars: The Old Republic (MMORPG), League of Legends (MOBA/ARTS), Smite (3rd Person MOBA/ARTS) and a bunch of FPS' like CoD, BF3, CS:S and CS:GO.
- Anime, Movies and TV Shows: I have a ridiculous backlog of all 3 of these. I have a PS3 and TV and they rarely get touched for watching movies/anime/tv shows. The only time I use them is when I watch Blu-rays (I don't have a blu-ray player for my PC yet sadly).
- I'm looking for decent isolation as my brother plays the same sort of games in the same room as me (behind me to my right) and he uses his mic a lot. Not only that but I also have my GPU fan going at 100%, 100% of the time (GPU is a Gigabyte HD6950 reference card. That means reference fan and those things go like jet engines @ max (I think it's a little over 6000rpm)).
- Must be comfortable obviously.
- Cable length must be fairly long. I don't have the front audio jack hooked up and my case really big (Coolermaster HAF-X) and the back of the case is quite a distance from my head. Currently I am using the extension cable that came with my Steelseries Siberia v2's, that is long enough. I don't know the exact length though.
- CPU: Intel Corei5 2500k @ 4.1ghz. Stock cooler, stock volts.
- GPU: AMD Gigabye HD6950 (flashed 6970 bios) @ 910/1450.
- RAM: 12gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz.
- MoBo: Asus P8P67-M Pro.
- Sound: Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC (Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking. DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel). Basically on-board audio. I'm looking at getting an Asus Xonar DGX, though.
- SSD: Crucial M4 256GB.
- HDD1: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm.
- HDD2: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 5600rpm.
- Case: Coolermaster HAF-X.
- Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
Thanks for reading and I hope you guys can offer me a good solution to my conundrum. Unfortunately it is beyond my power to go into the store and listen to each phones before buying them so that is why I have written the above novel so that I can get expert's advice =) - It may look like I have given a bit too much information but I just wanted to make sure that you guys knew everything about my current setup and what I am looking for so that you can help me make a good choice. Thanks again.
Edited by Tyestor - 9/13/12 at 6:30am