ALAC locks you into the proprietary iTunes format. At least FLAC is a widely accepted lossless solution that allows me to have a lot more options for storage and playback.
- productApple iPod Touch 32 GB (Fourth Generation)tagged by System, 9/24/12
- productApple iPod Touch 5th Generationtagged by System, 9/24/12
- productCypher Labs Algorhythm Solotagged by System, 9/24/12
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 9/24/12
- productFostex HP-P1tagged by System, 9/24/12
Related Forum Threads
- How to get lossless songs and is an ipod touch considered an audiophile mp3 player? Last post on 9/23/12 at 9:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Flacplayer app - updated. Last post on 11/11/13 at 2:08am in Portable Source Gear
- iPods and External DACs Last post on 9/11/13 at 3:50am in Portable Headphone Amps
- [VIDEO] Portable High-end Headphone Amp Guide Last post on 8/22/13 at 4:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Is there a DAC that sounds better than the Ipod/Ipad line out ? Last post on 11/28/12 at 10:14pm in Portable Source Gear
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: Today
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)Last edited: 12/28/12
Will you upgrade your iPod Touch 4G to 5G? - Page 3
Poll Results: Will you upgrade your iPod Touch 4G to 5G?
89 Total Votes
32% (29)I don't have an iPod Touch
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 609/16/12 at 10:15pmQuote:
It doesn't lock you into anything. I've had iPods over the last couple of years, and never once bought any video or audio from iTunes. I still rip any CD's I get into FLAC, like always. I never bothered with ALAC on the Touch or Shuffle that I had, but I do have about 50GB worth of it on my Classic....I just converted FLAC to ALAC. I'm not convinced whether or not I hear any difference from the usual high-bitrate LAME MP3's that I use on all my other players, but with the Classic I figured since I have the room, why not?post #33 of 609/17/12 at 7:40am
I meant that some people keep their entire library in ALAC, and that is fine if you only use Apple products. I think FLAC offers greater flexibility, and I would rather keep everything in FLAC format and only convert to ALAC when necessary, instead of the other way around. I can drag and drop FLAC to most devices other than iOS types, and most apps will play back FLAC without issue. I have not had the same experience with ALAC files.post #34 of 609/17/12 at 8:39am
Well I originally said yes, but may have to change my answer to no...
I had an itch this weekend to buy a new PMP so I ordered the new(er) Cowon Z2 and a 32gb sd.
I guess I will make up my mind after it arrives.post #35 of 609/17/12 at 9:54amThread Starterpost #36 of 609/22/12 at 9:47pm
So, I've been giving the iTouch 5G some thought....and spending $400 on a device that I want to fill up with music...hmm...it will hardly leave space for HD videos or pictures.... and who doesn't like to use all that cool zooming with cameras? Well, you can forget about that with the iTouch. And who doesn't like to have internet everywhere without having to be on a WIFI hotspot? You can forget about that with the iTouch. And who doesn't like Garageband on the iPad over the iTouch?
Choice of Internet everywhere.
Maybe the A6 chip?
Big screen :3
Music? Check that too.
I think I'll try to find a player dedicated for music, that doesn't cost me as much as a 64GB iTouch, and save that money for the cool iPad coming next year.post #37 of 609/23/12 at 6:48pm
well I picked up a used iphone4 32gb for around $50 that I am going to use a backup ipod.
I can use my ipod touch 4G now purely with my Fostex hp-p1 for music, and the iphone4 for wifi, apps, music/movies on the go and as a future backup.
*Still considering the ipod touch 5G If there is any increase in sound quality with the lightning usb to Fostex/Clas. But as I had an expensive LOD-USB made, I will probably stay with the old system/ipods.post #38 of 609/24/12 at 7:22am
My iPod Touch 4G bit the dust. It bricked on me and I can't get it to link up to iTunes anymore. Recovery, DFU, none of it works. I think it's dead in the water. If I bought another iPod, I think it would be the 160GB Classic. I have an iPhone 4, so all the other goodies offered by the touch, I already have.post #39 of 609/24/12 at 7:32ampost #40 of 609/24/12 at 9:16amQuote:
X3 coming out? I thought they killed off that project!post #41 of 609/24/12 at 9:33ampost #42 of 6010/24/12 at 7:30pmI pre ordered the new iPod and got it in the mail. I listened to music on my v-modas and noticed how the sound quality was outrageously bad. I tried it with my sennheisers and many more headphones all having the same outcome. I was through with it. I exchanged it for a new one today thinking it was only a problem with that single iPod. I got it about 2 hrs ago and low and behold: THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!!! This made me furious! My third gen cracked screen iPod touch has sound quality that feels like a surround sound. The fifth gen sounds like the music has no body and that I'm hearing it out of reeely crappy headphones. Also the bass is boosted without eq!!!!!!! I'm just thinking to myself that these people at apple are trying to make sound like beats but without a body!!!!! But other than that the iPod is amazing!!!!!!post #43 of 6010/25/12 at 3:22amThread Starterpost #44 of 6010/25/12 at 4:05ampost #45 of 6010/25/12 at 4:14amQuote:Originally Posted by alpha10
These guys love the sound, better than previous generation they say
This time around (going by the numbers) the iPod Touch 5 sounds better than iPhone 5 ( 0.8 ohms of output impedance vs 3.8). Quite a change since for years it was the other way around.
- Will you upgrade your iPod Touch 4G to 5G?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 15 seconds ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 17 seconds ago
- › Flawless albums 45 seconds ago
- › THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . 1st listening impressions... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 2 minutes ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 3 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K520 by Veggietech
- › AudioFly AF78 by shigzeo
- › Brainwavz Delta by IEMagnet01
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe