ALAC locks you into the proprietary iTunes format. At least FLAC is a widely accepted lossless solution that allows me to have a lot more options for storage and playback.
Related Forum Threads
- How to get lossless songs and is an ipod touch considered an audiophile mp3 player? Last post on 9/23/12 at 9:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Is there a DAC that sounds better than the Ipod/Ipad line out ? Last post on 11/28/12 at 10:14pm in Portable Source Gear
- Cowon Z2 vs iPod Touch 5 + Fiio E11 Last post on 1/22/13 at 12:59pm in Portable Source Gear
- Single-unit portable dac/amp or not: Fostex HP-P1 or 627/CLAS Last post on 11/19/12 at 11:05pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- DAC to use with my ipod Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:44am in Portable Headphone Amps
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)
Edited on 12/28/12
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)Edited on 12/28/12
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
My opinions Sound The sound produced by the HD558 is rich, a bit light, and isn't bloated with bass which is a good thing. It has a crisp treble and punchy bass, very great...
Introduction In the past 2 years VentureCraft has been successfully creating amps and DAC/Amp packaged components with their GD-03, Go-DAP 4.0 for iPhone 4(s), and Go-DAP X for their...
A friend of mine needed a new headphone, which was cheap, closed and good sounding. I said to him, dream on friend it will be very tough to find a headphone with those criteria. But then after...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the K550. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The AKG K550...
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)
Will you upgrade your iPod Touch 4G to 5G? - Page 3
Poll Results: Will you upgrade your iPod Touch 4G to 5G?
32% (28)I don't have an iPod Touch
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
It doesn't lock you into anything. I've had iPods over the last couple of years, and never once bought any video or audio from iTunes. I still rip any CD's I get into FLAC, like always. I never bothered with ALAC on the Touch or Shuffle that I had, but I do have about 50GB worth of it on my Classic....I just converted FLAC to ALAC. I'm not convinced whether or not I hear any difference from the usual high-bitrate LAME MP3's that I use on all my other players, but with the Classic I figured since I have the room, why not?
I meant that some people keep their entire library in ALAC, and that is fine if you only use Apple products. I think FLAC offers greater flexibility, and I would rather keep everything in FLAC format and only convert to ALAC when necessary, instead of the other way around. I can drag and drop FLAC to most devices other than iOS types, and most apps will play back FLAC without issue. I have not had the same experience with ALAC files.
Well I originally said yes, but may have to change my answer to no...
I had an itch this weekend to buy a new PMP so I ordered the new(er) Cowon Z2 and a 32gb sd.
I guess I will make up my mind after it arrives.
So, I've been giving the iTouch 5G some thought....and spending $400 on a device that I want to fill up with music...hmm...it will hardly leave space for HD videos or pictures.... and who doesn't like to use all that cool zooming with cameras? Well, you can forget about that with the iTouch. And who doesn't like to have internet everywhere without having to be on a WIFI hotspot? You can forget about that with the iTouch. And who doesn't like Garageband on the iPad over the iTouch?
Choice of Internet everywhere.
Maybe the A6 chip?
Big screen :3
Music? Check that too.
I think I'll try to find a player dedicated for music, that doesn't cost me as much as a 64GB iTouch, and save that money for the cool iPad coming next year.
well I picked up a used iphone4 32gb for around $50 that I am going to use a backup ipod.
I can use my ipod touch 4G now purely with my Fostex hp-p1 for music, and the iphone4 for wifi, apps, music/movies on the go and as a future backup.
*Still considering the ipod touch 5G If there is any increase in sound quality with the lightning usb to Fostex/Clas. But as I had an expensive LOD-USB made, I will probably stay with the old system/ipods.
My iPod Touch 4G bit the dust. It bricked on me and I can't get it to link up to iTunes anymore. Recovery, DFU, none of it works. I think it's dead in the water. If I bought another iPod, I think it would be the 160GB Classic. I have an iPhone 4, so all the other goodies offered by the touch, I already have.
X3 coming out? I thought they killed off that project!
These guys love the sound, better than previous generation they say
This time around (going by the numbers) the iPod Touch 5 sounds better than iPhone 5 ( 0.8 ohms of output impedance vs 3.8). Quite a change since for years it was the other way around.
- Will you upgrade your iPod Touch 4G to 5G?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Is Grado evolving too slowly? 24 seconds ago
- › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally!... 42 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 1 minute ago
- › ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a... 1 minute ago
- › Low-Price Audiophile Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Hisoundaudio STUDIO-V Review 4 minutes ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 6 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 8 minutes ago
- › IC: Melbourne Meet Probably 2/6/13 9 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 281 IEMs compared (VSonic GR07 BE and R02 Silver... 9 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by a_recording
- › Aune T1 by teb1013
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe