Hello I am pretty new around here and I was wondering what good headphones I could get for around $300 and where I could get them at. Currently I have Beats Solos that are about a year old and until earlier today I've been finding out Beats are bad headphones apparently, so any help is appreciated. Also, I like dubstep, metal, and rap so if there are headphones that are better for those genres please let me know, thanks.
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 9/17/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productBeyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350tagged by System, 9/17/12
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/17/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/17/12
- productMonster Beats By Dre Solotagged by System, 9/17/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 9/17/12
- productUltrasone DJ1tagged by System, 9/17/12
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 9/17/12More
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-80tagged by System, 9/17/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Dubstep Headphones Last post on 11/20/12 at 7:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for my perfect set of cans Last post on 8/8/12 at 8:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Street cred with hipsters and overears, $500? Last post on 1/4/13 at 8:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- First headphone Last post on 12/18/12 at 6:15am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/6/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
for the price is good but if you want to have that premier sound qualtiy of studio you need a dac of 300 dolllar +
I'm using eartips I found on a pair of Dollar Store earbuds. They look like JVC Spiral dot tips but with a larger dameter opening, more rubbery too. I also tried the CKW1000anv with the JVC's...
About Me I stumbled into the head-fi world when my itchy fingers picked up a Shure SE846 back in January’14. Since then, it has been a long journey, and I’m only just starting. Exploring the...
Introduction: As a well-known cable maker company, Forza AudioWorks is located in Poland. Its CEO and founder Matthew, a good English speaker and known as ‘’Matez’’ on Head-Fi, is a nice guy to...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My first introduction to Bluetooth earphones came with the Brainwavz Blu-100, and whilst...
Good headphones for under $300?post #1 of 679/12/12 at 5:33pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 679/12/12 at 5:53pm
Hey nice decision on having an open mind and not being stubborn unlike a majority of Beats owners. Welcome to Head-Fi. First of all, if your budget is under $300 WITH your Beats, sell them and increase the budget with the money from the Beats. Once you find anything respectable above $300, the Beats won't even compare to your shiny new cans. Is this for portable use or home use? Considering how the Solos are Supra-Aural cans, you might want the same configuration? If you want a nice portable can, look no further than a Sennheiser HD-25-1-ii, Vmoda M-80, AKG K581, Beyerdynamic DT1350, and a few that I cannot recommend because I have no experience with. If you don't mind a larger headphone, variety changes greatly with a lot of sub-categories. And if you want an Open-back/Semi-open design, there are numerous options available. However, as you get closer to the Open and some Closed Full-Size headphones, you might want to invest in an Amp as well. If you want IEMs, post in the IEM/Portable Headphone Thread. Hope this helps.post #3 of 679/12/12 at 6:00pmThread Starter
Thanks for your post, I guess I should have been a little clearer on what I was looking for, I was thinking of getting Studios so I wouldn't mind something similar to that (closed, noise canceling) also even if I should the Beats I currently own I don't think I would want to spend much more than $300 USD, I would kind of like to bring them to school but I'll probably stick more to home. I'm also not sure how these amps work.
post #4 of 679/12/12 at 6:39pm
Why don't you use your Solos for portable use and get home headphones? For around $300, the Hifiman HE-400 is hard to beat as it plays every genre very well.post #5 of 679/12/12 at 7:24pmThread Starterpost #6 of 679/12/12 at 7:26pmpost #7 of 679/12/12 at 7:41pm
Well the HE-400 are $400, I wouldn't say that is around $300...
If you listen to music at very loud volumes you might not be satisfied with them unamped, but they don't need an amp to give them enough power to function properly.
Keep in mind that they are open aired too...might not be what you're looking for, as that's nowhere close to sound isolating and people in another room can hear it to the point where they can tell what song your playing at moderately loud volumes.post #8 of 679/12/12 at 7:47pm
beats studios sound a little better than solos, butt the noise canelation is a joke, you cant even notice a difference when its on then when its off, you can get them used those for half the price, anyways http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12 this helped me when i was newpost #9 of 679/12/12 at 7:48pm
If there is even the slightest chance that you will want to bring them outdoors, think twice about the HE-400s. I love them, they get the most head-time for me right now, but they are slightly too heavy, and do not isolate at all. They are open-backed, meaning that sound comes out just as it goes in. You would probably need a portable amp of some sort to drive them - they're efficient, but need power to sound good. Something that outputs ~100mW/32ohms, like the Fiio E10, would be all you need really. But they really leak too much. I use them around places like the library most days, and in that case it's fine, but anywhere around school is a definite no-go.
It looks like you might need a closed can, even though you say you would use them at home. The Denon D2000s sound right up your alley, but I do hear that they leak a bit as well (keep in mind I haven't heard them). What kind of sound would you prefer? What kind of music do you listen to?
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AHD2000-Performance-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B000MVEC0Q. Found out on the deals thread. A bit above your price range, but still a good deal.
Edited by TwinQY - 9/12/12 at 7:52pmpost #10 of 679/12/12 at 7:49pmpost #11 of 679/12/12 at 7:52pm
Beyerdynamics dt770 pro 80 ohms only go for about 100 used. They have excellent bass when amped, but I wouldn't say that they are completely bad unamped. Also I see the audio technica M-50s on a lot of threads here, but have never tried them myself. Both are closed cans.post #12 of 679/12/12 at 8:10pmThread Starterpost #13 of 679/12/12 at 8:15pmQuote:
You could get a cheap cmoy portable amp that runs on 9volts, sure that would work with beyers and the audio technicas. These are not noise cancellation cans but do have adequate amount of isolation. Not sure how much u are wanting and whether u want passive noisce cancellation or not. I have never tried but some of the IEMs are supposed to be good.post #14 of 679/12/12 at 8:17pmpost #15 of 679/12/12 at 8:20pmThread Starter
Yeah I guess there is a pretty good chance I would bring them outside. Not really sure the different kinds of sounds, something that can play bass well for dubstep and stuff and for playing anything else besides dubstep pretty well.
- Good headphones for under $300?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › S.O.S. (Save on Schiit) 4 seconds ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 20 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 58 seconds ago
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 1 minute ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 3 minutes ago
- › Nashua, New Hampshire Meet: Decemeber 5th, 2015 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by younes berrada
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CKW1000ANV Inner Ear Headphones 50th Anniversary... by kameenadesi
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by Tobias89
- › Forza Audioworks IEM Cables by MikePortnoy
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by reddog
- › JLab JBuds NEON Metal In-Ear Earbuds with Universal Mic for iPhone... by Zantrill
- › WooAudio WA7 Fireflies by JoeDoe
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2