Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4?

post #1 of 59
Thread Starter 

Hello folks,

 

Just wondering, if you were upgrading from a Westone4, what would you go for ? and why ?

 

I was toying with the idea of the Grado GR10, the Audeo Phonak 232 or the Shure 535, maybe not as an upgrade, but more for a different sound signature.

 

Thanks for your input !

post #2 of 59

Heier Audio 4Ai, UE900, CK100Pro, Sony EX1000 are worth to look at it and they will improve with external AMPs help.

post #3 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50mm View Post

Hello folks,

 

Just wondering, if you were upgrading from a Westone4, what would you go for ? and why ?

 

I was toying with the idea of the Grado GR10, the Audeo Phonak 232 or the Shure 535, maybe not as an upgrade, but more for a different sound signature.

 

Thanks for your input !

Etymotic ER-4 Series IEMs...

 

They belong in every True Audiophiles kit.

 

Best of the Best.

 

Jim

post #4 of 59

I dont think those any of those listed will be an upgrade.   Just pony up for some $1000 CIEMs and be done with headfi for a while.

post #5 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50mm View Post

Hello folks,

 

Just wondering, if you were upgrading from a Westone4, what would you go for ? and why ?

 

I was toying with the idea of the Grado GR10, the Audeo Phonak 232 or the Shure 535, maybe not as an upgrade, but more for a different sound signature.

 

Thanks for your input !

 

 

I've had the W4R since release and have been pretty happy (and barely on head-fi)... I'm not sure what an IEM upgrade would be, having tried the other top-tier universals... I agree that if you haven't tried the ER-4P you might want to give that a shot.

post #6 of 59

FitEar To Go! 334 will blow your mind (and your pocket too).

 

Owned both W4 and 334. I can say that it's a big upgrade in term of sound quality, resolution, and details.

post #7 of 59

What kind of budget?  I'd upgrade to a custom..

post #8 of 59

If you go along the Westone product line, the "upgrade" to W4/R would be ES5. Otherwise, I think you could try those hybrid universals such as AKG3003. And I agreed that the ER4 series is fun to have for audiophiles as their sound signature is quite unique from other IEMs, but I don't think the ER4 would be an "upgrade" to W4....

post #9 of 59

ES5s from what I hear would be the best upgrade to the W4s. The sound signature seems to be closest relatively. I've even heard the W4s be referred to as the ES5s in universal form. I also heard the AKG K3003is side by side, they're a great improvement in terms of clarity.

post #10 of 59

how about FX700 ?

Dynamic driver with wood finish, beautiful sounding earphones,  quite a change from Westones.

Another one e-Q7 from Ortofon, uses same driver from GR10. Very similar sound signature to GR10. Price is a bit lower as well

post #11 of 59

OK, let me put it this way.

I have 2 CIEMs, which is the westone es5 and JH13 pro.

The es5 sounds nothing like W4 with more emphasize on the upper-mid frequencies. On the otherhand, JH13 sounds just like a more transparent and analytical version of W4 with a bit more head room and high frequencies.

But, the difference is, one word, small.

The W4 doesn't sound veiled or muffled at all compare to the transparent king jH13, if you can get a perfect fit and make sure ur W4 is from an authorized dealer. I am ABing W4 and JH13 right now out of my IPC+SOLO+SR71-A set-up. W4 has even better vocals, though that's just my own preference. 

I know some times you just want something more from your old IEMs, but honestly speaking, it is not worth to upgrade your W4 to any other IEMs as you won't get that much of an improvement. Unless, you want some totally different Sound signature.

post #12 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtthefirst View Post

FitEar To Go! 334 will blow your mind (and your pocket too).

 

Owned both W4 and 334. I can say that it's a big upgrade in term of sound quality, resolution, and details.

If that's the case, I assume either ur W4 is faulty or the 334 is much better than customs like JH13 and ES5

post #13 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by czqdtc View Post

OK, let me put it this way.

I have 2 CIEMs, which is the westone es5 and JH13 pro.

The es5 sounds nothing like W4 with more emphasize on the upper-mid frequencies. On the otherhand, JH13 sounds just like a more transparent and analytical version of W4 with a bit more head room and high frequencies.

But, the difference is, one word, small.

The W4 doesn't sound veiled or muffled at all compare to the transparent king jH13, if you can get a perfect fit and make sure ur W4 is from an authorized dealer. I am ABing W4 and JH13 right now out of my IPC+SOLO+SR71-A set-up. W4 has even better vocals, though that's just my own preference. 

I know some times you just want something more from your old IEMs, but honestly speaking, it is not worth to upgrade your W4 to any other IEMs as you won't get that much of an improvement. Unless, you want some totally different Sound signature.

Would you mind me asking what tips you use on the W4s?

post #14 of 59
1964.
post #15 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Would you mind me asking what tips you use on the W4s?

I use the black silicon middle-size, it fits me perfectly. W4 is one piece of beast in it's own way. Though I do have to say that if W4's bass can be as deep and powerful as on JH13 than it would be perfect, I personally do not like the overly bright highs on ES5.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4?