Thanks everyone for the reply! I ordered both about last week.
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 9/20/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 9/20/12
- productHE-5LEtagged by System, 9/20/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/20/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by System, 9/20/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by System, 9/20/12
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 9/20/12
- productHRT Music Streamer II High Resolution USB D/A Convertertagged by System, 9/20/12
- productJDS Labs ODACtagged by System, 9/20/12
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/20/12More
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 9/20/12
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 9/20/12
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by System, 9/20/12
- productSMSL SD-1955tagged by System, 9/20/12
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones+DAC setup 2000USD Last post on 11/14/13 at 9:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help in deciding on an AMP, DAC and headphones for around £1600 Last post on 11/16/12 at 7:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Could use help - selling my LCD2s to get?? Last post on 11/12/12 at 9:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HifiMan HE-400 vs DAC Last post on 10/10/12 at 7:26am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 4/13/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Intro/Setup The full-size closed under $200 category is a very popular one among pro’s and casual listeners alike. The most similar competitor to this I own is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro...
Fantastic sound quality! Very clean, detailed and balanced sound. Really strong power for high impedance headphones. Best buy until US 250,00.. It can drive easily my AKG K702 (famous for being...
Great sound, strong bass, great construct quality, very confortable, warm sound. This is a real overall headphone. Everything will sound good on it (not a real reference headphone). Fantastic for...
Great sound, great tone, very well balanced, very clean, great bass (not lacking), detailed sound. Everything sounds great on the SENNHEISER HD 598.
Fantastic Reference Headphones, fantastic sound clarity and definition. The soundstage is the best! Incredible detailed sound and instruments separation. Not for everyone. This is a very honest...
Schiit LYR + LCD-2 - Page 2post #16 of 789/23/12 at 10:23pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 789/24/12 at 12:59pmpost #18 of 789/24/12 at 3:21pmThread StarterQuote:
They arrived and i tested them for at least 100 hours + 20 pink noise can break in. They are HEAVENLY . Only thing I despise about it's sonic quality is that LCD2.2's have almost generic sound stage. I'm going to switch the tubes around to to make sure I'm getting the "correct sound" that i prefer.post #19 of 789/25/12 at 12:38ampost #20 of 789/25/12 at 8:49ampost #21 of 789/25/12 at 8:49pmThread Starterpost #22 of 789/27/12 at 4:15pmpost #23 of 789/30/12 at 9:00am
Wow sick setup you have going for ya! Schiit Gungnir and Mjolnir! Damn! I wonder how it competes with my Burson HA160D. I'd imagine the Gungnir is better than the DAC that's in the 160D but Mjolnir vs HA160 is interesting.....
Time for war!post #24 of 789/30/12 at 9:03amQuote:
I had a Burson, but it's been a while. After I sold the HD800,
I didn't use the Burson. so away it went.
I've already said the Mjolnir is the best SS amp I've heard yet.
As to how much better than the Burson. IDK, memory isn't very reliable,
so I couldn't throw out a meaningful percentage.
The Gungnir is simply way above the Burson though.post #25 of 7810/18/12 at 2:22pm
i am wanting to the new audeze lcd 2 because my house hhave much noise to use a open headphone,and i want to know how is the lyr compared to mjonir amping the lcd 2 ?worth the 900 dollars plus?thanks and subscribedpost #26 of 7810/18/12 at 2:28pmQuote:
Yea. Mjolnir is quite better than Lyr in all areas of the spectrum. It has a very good synergy with LCD-2's and even more with LCD-3's, IMO.
Also, your comments weren't very clear. Your home is too noisy for a open can, so why are you looking at an open can? See the confusion.
Also the Mjolnir is only a few hundred more than Lyr, plus Lyr "requires" tube rolling, thus more money.post #27 of 7810/18/12 at 2:28pmThe Mjolnir schiits all over the Lyr in terms of resolution, control, imaging, tone... i.e. all the good stuff. No amount of tube rolling will bring it to equal footing... perhaps if you have a crappy source and equally inadequate headphone at the end stifling the Mjolnir's transparency.
Edited by olor1n - 10/18/12 at 2:32pmpost #28 of 7810/18/12 at 2:39pm
sorry for the english i am brazilian and i am not so good with the english,but i will try to be more clear this time, the tube rolling on the lyr is a must?and the synergy with lcd 3 is much better than with the lcd 3?and anyone here try the burson soloist or the alo pan am with the lcd 2 or 3 ?thankspost #29 of 7810/18/12 at 2:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by Chgm
sorry for the english i am brazilian and i am not so good with the english,but i will try to be more clear this time, the tube rolling on the lyr is a must?and the synergy with lcd 3 is much better than with the lcd 3?and anyone here try the burson soloist or the alo pan am with the lcd 2 or 3 ?thanks
I understand. Tube rolling isn't necessarily a must. However there is great benefit to it. IMO, the Lyr w/stock tubes is FLAT.
The best tubes for Lyr run from $120-400 pair. Depending on how much tube rolling you venture into, it gets expensive.
The Mjolnir still is "stompishly" better than Lyr even with top tubes.
The LCD-2 is quite good with Lyr and even better with Mjolnir. The LCD-3 is meh ok with Lyr, but still, much better with Mjolnir.
The Soloist is a very nice amp as well. Everything boils down to preference. I found Mjolnir preferred to the Soloist,
and actually felt the Burson was overpriced, but this is just my 2cents.
I haven't heard that Alo amp yet, sorry, I can't help ya out there.
Edited by paradoxper - 10/18/12 at 2:46pmpost #30 of 7810/18/12 at 2:57pmI've owned the Bifrost/Lyr combo too and ran the rev2 from it. Really good chain, but it can get costly finding the right tubes. With the HD650 I preferred Amperex A-frame Orange Globes, the LCD-2 was very good with Lorenz Stuttgarts, Amperex Bugle Boys had great synergy with the HD800.
The difference in price between the Lyr and Mjolnir is bridged when you factor in the added cost of tube rolling, though you do still have to account for balancing your cables with the Mjolnir.
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Band Name Game II 23 seconds ago
- › The Apex Teton Review and Impressions Thread 38 seconds ago
- › Leaving headphones plugged in, turn my mixer on and off? 38 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 43 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Wanting to make diy cables for my Alpha Dogs 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New To The World of Audio 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight... 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by rigodeni
- › Matrix M-Stage by Johannus
- › Pioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Black by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by DJScope
- › HUM Pervasion - Android DAP by DJScope
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2