Thanks everyone for the reply! I ordered both about last week.
- itemAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones
- itemHE 5LE
- itemHiFiMAN HE 400
- itemHiFiMAN HE 500
- itemHiFiMAN HE 6 Planar Headphone
- itemHRT Music Streamer II High Resolution USB D A Converter
- itemJDS Labs ODAC ObjectiveDAC
- itemKoss ESP 950 Electrostatic Stereophone
- itemSchiit Audio Bifrost DAC
- itemSchiit Lyr
- itemSchiit Valhalla
- itemSMSL SD 1955
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 4/13/13 at 12:14pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones+DAC setup 2000USD Last post on 6/25/12 at 12:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need help in deciding on an AMP, DAC and headphones for around £1600 Last post on 11/16/12 at 7:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Could use help - selling my LCD2s to get?? Last post on 11/12/12 at 9:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- choosing an open can Last post on 10/4/12 at 8:10am in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
Edited on 12/28/12
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Edited on 5/14/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Edited on 5/13/13
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Edited on 9/19/11
The JVC HA M750's were my first "real" pair of headphones. Previously, I had just used iPod headphones and cheap 10 dollar headphones from my local grocery store. As such, I was very impressed by...
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
My opinions Sound The sound produced by the HD558 is rich, a bit light, and isn't bloated with bass which is a good thing. It has a crisp treble and punchy bass, very great...
Introduction In the past 2 years VentureCraft has been successfully creating amps and DAC/Amp packaged components with their GD-03, Go-DAP 4.0 for iPhone 4(s), and Go-DAP X for their...
Schiit LYR + LCD-2 - Page 2post #16 of 749/23/12 at 10:23pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 749/24/12 at 12:59pmpost #18 of 749/24/12 at 3:21pmThread StarterQuote:
They arrived and i tested them for at least 100 hours + 20 pink noise can break in. They are HEAVENLY . Only thing I despise about it's sonic quality is that LCD2.2's have almost generic sound stage. I'm going to switch the tubes around to to make sure I'm getting the "correct sound" that i prefer.post #19 of 749/25/12 at 12:38ampost #20 of 749/25/12 at 8:49ampost #21 of 749/25/12 at 8:49pmThread Starterpost #22 of 749/27/12 at 4:15pmpost #23 of 749/30/12 at 9:00am
Wow sick setup you have going for ya! Schiit Gungnir and Mjolnir! Damn! I wonder how it competes with my Burson HA160D. I'd imagine the Gungnir is better than the DAC that's in the 160D but Mjolnir vs HA160 is interesting.....
Time for war!post #24 of 749/30/12 at 9:03amQuote:
I had a Burson, but it's been a while. After I sold the HD800,
I didn't use the Burson. so away it went.
I've already said the Mjolnir is the best SS amp I've heard yet.
As to how much better than the Burson. IDK, memory isn't very reliable,
so I couldn't throw out a meaningful percentage.
The Gungnir is simply way above the Burson though.post #25 of 7410/18/12 at 2:22pm
i am wanting to the new audeze lcd 2 because my house hhave much noise to use a open headphone,and i want to know how is the lyr compared to mjonir amping the lcd 2 ?worth the 900 dollars plus?thanks and subscribedpost #26 of 7410/18/12 at 2:28pmQuote:
Yea. Mjolnir is quite better than Lyr in all areas of the spectrum. It has a very good synergy with LCD-2's and even more with LCD-3's, IMO.
Also, your comments weren't very clear. Your home is too noisy for a open can, so why are you looking at an open can? See the confusion.
Also the Mjolnir is only a few hundred more than Lyr, plus Lyr "requires" tube rolling, thus more money.post #27 of 7410/18/12 at 2:28pmThe Mjolnir schiits all over the Lyr in terms of resolution, control, imaging, tone... i.e. all the good stuff. No amount of tube rolling will bring it to equal footing... perhaps if you have a crappy source and equally inadequate headphone at the end stifling the Mjolnir's transparency.
Edited by olor1n - 10/18/12 at 2:32pmpost #28 of 7410/18/12 at 2:39pm
sorry for the english i am brazilian and i am not so good with the english,but i will try to be more clear this time, the tube rolling on the lyr is a must?and the synergy with lcd 3 is much better than with the lcd 3?and anyone here try the burson soloist or the alo pan am with the lcd 2 or 3 ?thankspost #29 of 7410/18/12 at 2:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by Chgm
sorry for the english i am brazilian and i am not so good with the english,but i will try to be more clear this time, the tube rolling on the lyr is a must?and the synergy with lcd 3 is much better than with the lcd 3?and anyone here try the burson soloist or the alo pan am with the lcd 2 or 3 ?thanks
I understand. Tube rolling isn't necessarily a must. However there is great benefit to it. IMO, the Lyr w/stock tubes is FLAT.
The best tubes for Lyr run from $120-400 pair. Depending on how much tube rolling you venture into, it gets expensive.
The Mjolnir still is "stompishly" better than Lyr even with top tubes.
The LCD-2 is quite good with Lyr and even better with Mjolnir. The LCD-3 is meh ok with Lyr, but still, much better with Mjolnir.
The Soloist is a very nice amp as well. Everything boils down to preference. I found Mjolnir preferred to the Soloist,
and actually felt the Burson was overpriced, but this is just my 2cents.
I haven't heard that Alo amp yet, sorry, I can't help ya out there.
Edited by paradoxper - 10/18/12 at 2:46pmpost #30 of 7410/18/12 at 2:57pmI've owned the Bifrost/Lyr combo too and ran the rev2 from it. Really good chain, but it can get costly finding the right tubes. With the HD650 I preferred Amperex A-frame Orange Globes, the LCD-2 was very good with Lorenz Stuttgarts, Amperex Bugle Boys had great synergy with the HD800.
The difference in price between the Lyr and Mjolnir is bridged when you factor in the added cost of tube rolling, though you do still have to account for balancing your cables with the Mjolnir.
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)
- › Marantz 2245 vintage receiver 26 seconds ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 1 minute ago
- › Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › IC: Winnipeg meet? 3 minutes ago
- › The noob asks - do you have to run in headphones? 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 3 minutes ago
- › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop... 4 minutes ago
- › Why the Beats Hate? 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X3 Thread. Full review:... 5 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 5 minutes ago
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe