Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › What is the sound quality of iPhone, iPad, iPod (Touch)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the sound quality of iPhone, iPad, iPod (Touch)? - Page 9

post #121 of 133

Bigshot, with the iPhone 5, the line-out uses a separate DAC in the adapter, hence my question if that adapter sustains the sound quality normally attributed to an iPhone line-out.   If not, the adapter line-out + AMP may be inferior to a better off-board DAC + amp.  Without being able to hear any of these devices first, and almost every review being "NIGHT AND DAY!", I thought I would ask on this sub-forum as people seem a bit more....fact driven.  As for loudness of the headphone out, I do find on some of the bigger headphones to sound "better" through the Tomahawk.

post #122 of 133
I just looked at that lightning adaptor. It looks like it just outputs to HDMI or USB. Both of those would require an external DAC. The difference in sound quality is going to be negligible. If I had an iPhone 5, I would just use the headphone out and amp it if my headphones required it. If the volume got high enough without an amp, I'd just plug in direct. Audiophiles who value complexity might think differently than me.
post #123 of 133
IMO, the sound from amping from the DAC (wolfson wm8533) in the lightning adapter sounds better than amping from the headphone out. I could hear an improvement in soundstage and instrument separation. The sound also sounded more natural (that from the iphone 5 sounded "digital" to me).
Edited by araragikoyomi - 4/30/13 at 4:03am
post #124 of 133

I'm likely upgrading to either an iphone 5 or 5S (depending upon when it's available). I have a fiio E6 already. Will the E6 pair well with the iphone 5?

post #125 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post

I just looked at that lightning adaptor. It looks like it just outputs to HDMI or USB. Both of those would require an external DAC. The difference in sound quality is going to be negligible. If I had an iPhone 5, I would just use the headphone out and amp it if my headphones required it. If the volume got high enough without an amp, I'd just plug in direct. Audiophiles who value complexity might think differently than me.

I didn't notice any change in sound due to the lightning adapter. 

 

But the lightning adapter is still a really good idea. It's somewhat smaller and thinner than the previous adapter, and it makes for slimmer devices like the Shuffle, Nano, and Touch. I'd like to think there's an improvement in sync times, but who knows?

post #126 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by poikkeus View Post

I didn't notice any change in sound due to the lightning adapter. 

 

But the lightning adapter is still a really good idea. It's somewhat smaller and thinner than the previous adapter, and it makes for slimmer devices like the Shuffle, Nano, and Touch. I'd like to think there's an improvement in sync times, but who knows?

 

Except the cable has a tendency to break.  Read reviews after buying my iPad 4 64GB a couple of weeks ago and apparently lots of people are having problems with it breaking on them.  Even before I read the reviews I was a bit nervous as the setup seems a little fragile.

post #127 of 133

I'm having a really tough time trying to figure out exactly how a portable USB-DAC could be such an improvement over the iPods original sound. Might be placebo, but I've tried one out, and couldn't hear much of an audible difference, other than some colouration to the sound. Is there any RMAA results that can prove this wrong?

post #128 of 133

This iPhone 5s data might be of interest to some of you. This is for a Sprint model, A1453 (ME356LL/A).

 

a. Impulse response

 

 

b. Maximum volume 0 dBFS sine

 

 

c. Maximum volume, one channel with 16.2 ohm load

 

 

d. Maximum volume, both channels with 16.2-ohm load

 

 

e. Volume control one click down from maximum

 

 

f. Volume control one click down from maximum, both channels with 16.2-ohm load

 

 

g. Onset of clipping, both channels with 16.2-ohm load

 

 

What else can we guess from this info?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=693*16.2%2F%28R%2B16.2%29%3D597

 

Volume control at two clicks down, into 15.1 ohms, both channels:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=491*15.1%2F%28R%2B15.1%29%3D421

 

 

Edit: Corrected the model number, changed the captions


Edited by yuriv - 10/7/13 at 1:41am
post #129 of 133

You have two times "with 16.2 ohm load". A typo?

post #130 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnor View Post
 

You have two times "with 16.2 ohm load". A typo?

 

I edited the post. I hope it's clearer now.

post #131 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriv View Post

 

a. Impulse response

 

Cirrus Logic DAC :normal_smile : Perhaps similar to other recent iDevices, and the MacBook Air reviewed at a certain blog.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriv View Post

 

d. Maximum volume, both channels with 16.2-ohm load

 

There is some interesting "fuzz" on the clipping. Could it indicate a stability problem (the MacBook Air mentioned above was prone to oscillation in the test), or does it come from the power supply rails (e.g. the negative one is created with a charge pump) ?


Edited by stv014 - 10/7/13 at 10:13am
post #132 of 133

Up. Very relevant to my case conversation.

 

How aboutAudio-Technica ATH-W5000 with Ipod classic 7gen or Iphone? Would it be sufficient for these headphones? Would I need additional amp? 

 

I enjoyed My ipod with HD595 but the sound was a bit low. If I need amp I would like to listen to music with phone to avoid having player in my pockets.

post #133 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriv View Post

 

a. Impulse response

 

Cirrus Logic DAC :normal_smile : Perhaps similar to other recent iDevices, and the MacBook Air reviewed at a certain blog.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriv View Post

 

d. Maximum volume, both channels with 16.2-ohm load

 

There is some interesting "fuzz" on the clipping. Could it indicate a stability problem (the MacBook Air mentioned above was prone to oscillation in the test), or does it come from the power supply rails (e.g. the negative one is created with a charge pump) ?


Looks pretty linear for such a device to me; introduces a small bit of distortion when driven to levels that would make a cow's head explode.

At least, that's my interpretation.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › What is the sound quality of iPhone, iPad, iPod (Touch)?