I assume lightning cable to USB dac doesn't work, as was the case with other Apple products.. can anyone confirm this?
Related Forum Threads
- Nocturnal Hybrid IEM and cable Tour. Last post on 12/27/14 at 4:52pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recommendation - on Portable Headphone Amps/DAC Last post on 10/6/13 at 12:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphone amp recommendation for Sennheiser Momentum Last post on 12/11/15 at 4:24pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 and iPhone 5 - what about DAC Last post on 2/22/14 at 4:10pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- How to get lossless songs and is an ipod touch considered an audiophile mp3 player? Last post on 9/23/12 at 9:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/10/15
PETEREK cables Balanced cable for Sony EX series. Standard custom for Sony EX series Standard 2 pin cable for LEAR,ASG,SHURE ETC. Standard MMCX...
This will be a short review as there are a few other reviews that go into great depth listing all of the specs. I mainly joined this tour to basically get another chance at the X7 and try the amp...
It beats my old Marantz HD-DAC1 in every way. Clarity, smooth, details... my HD650 seems not able to show its full potential. I assume, K812 or T1 will be better match. My K1000 shows new life...
About me: [[SPOILER]] Preamble:Looking down at the vast landscape of Head-Fi and audio technology in general, I have noticed quite a few things over the past two years. Firstly, the crazy products,...
Introduction – It can be hard to find a rational reason to purchase a set of bookshelf speakers when there are so many fantastic computer out there that offer more features and similar sound...
iPhone 5 as a source - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Did you notice any hiss just during the unlocking sequence ? I mean when with iems plugged you slide your finger to unlock...is a burst of hiss till the home screen is loaded ?
Had that issue with my iPhone 4S since i upgraded to iOS 6. Thus yesterday i got it exchanged for a new unit runnin' iOS 5 and the blackness is the same as usual and that hiss is gone.
Let me try it at work tomorrow (too lazy to do it tonight) and I'll report back.
True but the fact that you'd be using an ipod or apple product for that matter will be the bigger limiting factor in this situation. For such files there are much better options like the DX100.
Anyways I've been hearing conflicting comments regarding this new iphone5. Some seem to enjoy it more while others are saying its a downgrade from the iphone4 sound quality? I'm wondering if this is due to the phone not being burned in? Or placebo due to being happy with a new toy?
History tells me its the latter, and you've been here long enough to know where I'm coming from. ;)
What about the features and enhancements? Is it something that is worth the upgrade or no? I'm hearing many are disappointed by the enhancements in comparison to the 4 and 4s (meaning not a huge jump). However I am a believer in burn in myself. Just had too many experiences where it slaps you in the face and isn't subtle. At least not to these ears. Never really noticed much change on the iphone4 though. It got slightly smoother and opened up a bit but nothing like the changes on my Studio V or DX100.
Edited by lee730 - 9/23/12 at 8:27pm
MH, did you find it a little thin initially ?
There is one thing in my little review that I should've said was I haven't critically listened to any digital in a while, so my ears are biased toward analog sound. Also my se215's are mostly used for live sound and live recording so if they are hooked up to anything digital it is digi 002 and digi 003 interfaces with better D/As and running at 24 bit.
First post on this great forum. I have been lurking around for a bit and found some useful information here and there. I think it is time for me to contribute.
Impressions after two days of use - the iPhone 5 is more mid-centric than the 4/4S. Human voice seems to be a bit more forward but lacks a bit of treble timbre and emotion. Not sure which DAC chip it uses yet.
By the way, the new connection works well with my Fostex HP-P1.
If I remember correctly, DACs only convert fixed point binary to analog. How can they lack emotion? you can ONLY judge DACs based on it's accuracy on music reproduction from your iphone. You can't randomly say some dac's have more emotion. Are you talking about your eq setting by any chance?
Nope...didn't hear a thing in case you're interested.
Thanks for taking the time to try.
It's strange that in all iPhone 4s that i tried the noise is there. I'm confused.
It's good to be anywhere!
iPhone 5 sounds worse than the 4 or 4S, IMO. There is an emphasis in the mids and bass, but the human voice lacks emotion, and the treble is rolled off. I have had the iPhone 4, Galaxy S, S2, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S, Galaxy S3, and now the iPhone 5. Among these phones, I would probably rank Galaxy S2 as the worst in terms of sound quality, but I think the iPhone 5's sound quality is not far away from the bottom spot. Too bad I don't have the S2 any more for comparison. The Earpods actually sound okay-ish for a bundled earplug, and I think the iPhone 5's sound signature may have been tuned to suit the Earpods - but on my custom IEMs, the sound is not very good, especially on my Westone ES5 which is already a bit mid-centric to begin with. The ES5 sounds wonderful with the iPhone 4.
It would appear that the one phone you haven't owned is the Nokia - allegedly 'the music phone'.
Hmm, from my own experience 4 and 4s sound about the same (paired with w/ UM2 RC), but the output from 4s is slightly more powerful. I set volume to 4-5 bars on iPhone4 to get comfortable listening volume, while on iPhone4s I only need to set the volume to 3 to reach similar volume.
I think Im gonna keep my Iphone 4 as Music Source until supercurio releases the voodoo sound to the S3.
The only thing that would make me buy an Iphone 5 is the sound quality improvement over the 4.. :(
- iPhone 5 as a source
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › De'Mun / Bengkel Macro 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 3 minutes ago
- › iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a... 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016) 4 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016 4 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW ... 7 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 8 minutes ago
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by crinacle
- › Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2 by ExpatinJapan
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by B9Scrambler
- › Gigaset Earphones by B9Scrambler
- › OPPO HA-2 by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...