I assume lightning cable to USB dac doesn't work, as was the case with other Apple products.. can anyone confirm this?
Related Forum Threads
- Recommendation - on Portable Headphone Amps/DAC Last post on 10/6/13 at 12:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Headphone amp recommendation for Sennheiser Momentum Last post on 11/21/13 at 2:51pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 and iPhone 5 - what about DAC Last post on 12/14/12 at 11:48am in Portable Headphone Amps
- How to get lossless songs and is an ipod touch considered an audiophile mp3 player? Last post on 9/23/12 at 9:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Clas or fostex ? Last post on 9/12/12 at 3:34am in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
Coming from Tascam US-144 to Audio GD .. Here is the story. A few years ago I discovered the magic world of listening to headphones. The reason for that is the ease of computer hifi. I...
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
iPhone 5 as a source - Page 3post #31 of 969/23/12 at 1:02pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #32 of 969/23/12 at 5:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by elfary
Did you notice any hiss just during the unlocking sequence ? I mean when with iems plugged you slide your finger to unlock...is a burst of hiss till the home screen is loaded ?
Had that issue with my iPhone 4S since i upgraded to iOS 6. Thus yesterday i got it exchanged for a new unit runnin' iOS 5 and the blackness is the same as usual and that hiss is gone.
Let me try it at work tomorrow (too lazy to do it tonight) and I'll report back.post #33 of 969/23/12 at 7:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by lee730
True but the fact that you'd be using an ipod or apple product for that matter will be the bigger limiting factor in this situation. For such files there are much better options like the DX100.
Anyways I've been hearing conflicting comments regarding this new iphone5. Some seem to enjoy it more while others are saying its a downgrade from the iphone4 sound quality? I'm wondering if this is due to the phone not being burned in? Or placebo due to being happy with a new toy?
History tells me its the latter, and you've been here long enough to know where I'm coming from. ;)post #34 of 969/23/12 at 8:17pmpost #35 of 969/23/12 at 8:26pm
What about the features and enhancements? Is it something that is worth the upgrade or no? I'm hearing many are disappointed by the enhancements in comparison to the 4 and 4s (meaning not a huge jump). However I am a believer in burn in myself. Just had too many experiences where it slaps you in the face and isn't subtle. At least not to these ears. Never really noticed much change on the iphone4 though. It got slightly smoother and opened up a bit but nothing like the changes on my Studio V or DX100.
Edited by lee730 - 9/23/12 at 8:27pmpost #36 of 969/24/12 at 2:38ampost #37 of 969/24/12 at 1:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by estreeter
MH, did you find it a little thin initially ?
There is one thing in my little review that I should've said was I haven't critically listened to any digital in a while, so my ears are biased toward analog sound. Also my se215's are mostly used for live sound and live recording so if they are hooked up to anything digital it is digi 002 and digi 003 interfaces with better D/As and running at 24 bit.post #38 of 969/24/12 at 3:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by SnakeOil
First post on this great forum. I have been lurking around for a bit and found some useful information here and there. I think it is time for me to contribute.
Impressions after two days of use - the iPhone 5 is more mid-centric than the 4/4S. Human voice seems to be a bit more forward but lacks a bit of treble timbre and emotion. Not sure which DAC chip it uses yet.
By the way, the new connection works well with my Fostex HP-P1.
If I remember correctly, DACs only convert fixed point binary to analog. How can they lack emotion? you can ONLY judge DACs based on it's accuracy on music reproduction from your iphone. You can't randomly say some dac's have more emotion. Are you talking about your eq setting by any chance?post #39 of 969/24/12 at 5:39pmQuote:
Nope...didn't hear a thing in case you're interested.post #40 of 969/24/12 at 6:50pmQuote:
Thanks for taking the time to try.
It's strange that in all iPhone 4s that i tried the noise is there. I'm confused.
It's good to be anywhere!post #41 of 969/24/12 at 7:00pmpost #42 of 969/24/12 at 8:02pmQuote:Originally Posted by SnakeOil
iPhone 5 sounds worse than the 4 or 4S, IMO. There is an emphasis in the mids and bass, but the human voice lacks emotion, and the treble is rolled off. I have had the iPhone 4, Galaxy S, S2, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4S, Galaxy S3, and now the iPhone 5. Among these phones, I would probably rank Galaxy S2 as the worst in terms of sound quality, but I think the iPhone 5's sound quality is not far away from the bottom spot. Too bad I don't have the S2 any more for comparison. The Earpods actually sound okay-ish for a bundled earplug, and I think the iPhone 5's sound signature may have been tuned to suit the Earpods - but on my custom IEMs, the sound is not very good, especially on my Westone ES5 which is already a bit mid-centric to begin with. The ES5 sounds wonderful with the iPhone 4.
It would appear that the one phone you haven't owned is the Nokia - allegedly 'the music phone'.post #43 of 969/24/12 at 8:14pm
Hmm, from my own experience 4 and 4s sound about the same (paired with w/ UM2 RC), but the output from 4s is slightly more powerful. I set volume to 4-5 bars on iPhone4 to get comfortable listening volume, while on iPhone4s I only need to set the volume to 3 to reach similar volume.post #44 of 969/24/12 at 10:19pm
I think Im gonna keep my Iphone 4 as Music Source until supercurio releases the voodoo sound to the S3.
The only thing that would make me buy an Iphone 5 is the sound quality improvement over the 4.. :(
- iPhone 5 as a source
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › post your grado mods.... 23 seconds ago
- › For sale Sunfire CRM2 bookshelf speakers, small in size big on sound! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 2 minutes ago
- › 【Brand new for sale】 FOSTEX TH900 (price include EU postage) 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Help my wife decide my Christmas Gift!!! 4 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12) 5 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi