Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › iPhone 5 Line out?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 5 Line out? - Page 3

post #31 of 93

When the dust settles, it would be great to know whether the CLAS will work with this new line out (with the apple or other adapter).  If it would, it would be great for someone to develop a sleeve-like adapter to fit exactly (or as close to exactly as possible) over the existing 30-pin plugs so that the whole contraption will remain essentially the same size/length as the existing LOD cables.  (I'm not sure that what I just asked makes sense) - basically, a "slip-on" adapter, I guess to go from 30 to the new pin configuration, or vice versa ...

post #32 of 93

Ugh:

 

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/09/apple-lightning-bmw-mini/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Top+Stories%29

post #33 of 93

There will be new adapters from Apple in a couple of months that will bring out VGA and HDMI.  I hope that helps for car adapters.  

post #34 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post

My hunch was right: From MacWorld

 

 

Apple has confirmed to Macworld that these adapters support analog and USB audio-out, as well as syncing and charging. However, the adapters don’t support video-out or iPod mode, the latter a special mode that lets particular accessories, such as car stereos and some whole-home-audio systems, display your iPod’s menus on the accessory’s own screen. More cryptically, the online Apple Store’s product pages note that “some 30-pin accessories are not supported.”

 

Astute readers may have noticed that the Lightning connector does not support analog audio-out, but the 30-pin adapters do. That’s because hidden away inside each 30-pin adapter is a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that converts the Lightning connector’s digital audio signal to an analog version. (The inclusion of a DAC explains at least part of the price of the adapters.)

So, we can use analog-only amps with iPhone 5 right now (it seems) if we get one of the adapters.  To avoid stress on the lightning connector in the phone, I'd use the adapter with 20cm of cable.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

 

The question is the sound quality of the adapter, cause the size is quite small size and the price ( $29) is quite low. 

 

Feiao sums this up well. I'm eager to get my hands on one of these $29 adapters, just to tear it apart.

Reply
post #35 of 93

The iPhone 5 appears to be quite a hit, so I'd expect products that optimize the D/A in the coming mo, er, year.  

 

In the meantime, we might have sound quality posts by the end of the month, or whenever the first shipments arrive or reviewers chime in. 

post #36 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post

The iPhone 5 appears to be quite a hit, so I'd expect products that optimize the D/A in the coming mo, er, year.  

 

In the meantime, we might have sound quality posts by the end of the month, or whenever the first shipments arrive or reviewers chime in. 

Or maybe Cypher labs or Fostex will release an "audio adapter" for only LOD purposes where they give you an adapter will a well intergrated DAC and that is small enough and what not to not be intrusive while on the go, because we totally need a 5 inch daisy chain hanging off an iPhone right?

post #37 of 93

Hope so!

post #38 of 93

if the lightning only draws digital out.

 

then most portable DACs could work???

 

same goes to the CLAS/HP-P1/GoDAP

post #39 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilzc View Post

if the lightning only draws digital out.

 

then most portable DACs could work???

 

same goes to the CLAS/HP-P1/GoDAP

 

The question is that none can confirmed what kind of digital out , USB? SPDIF? Apple love to use their own standard so they can charge more money.

post #40 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

 

The question is that none can confirmed what kind of digital out , USB? SPDIF? Apple love to use their own standard so they can charge more money.

 

 

I understand. Here's to hoping!!!

 

Your E7/E17 will be immense if its USB digital out!! And I sure hope it is!!!

post #41 of 93

I think Apple will not let the new lightning connector supports universal standard like USB audio/ SPDIF.  

 

BTW, just learned more information from internet, seems the lightning to 30pin adapter will has a build in DAC chip inside. not sure about the sound quality, but it make thing worse because

 

it is not easy to fixed the adapter between the iPhone/iPod and portable amp and the line out cable.  

post #42 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

I think Apple will not let the new lightning connector supports universal standard like USB audio/ SPDIF.  

 

BTW, just learned more information from internet, seems the lightning to 30pin adapter will has a build in DAC chip inside. not sure about the sound quality, but it make thing worse because

 

it is not easy to fixed the adapter between the iPhone/iPod and portable amp and the line out cable.  

 

...fiio can hopefully make a better adapter!

post #43 of 93

Our hope then lies on you to crack the code Fei!!!

post #44 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyash View Post

 

...fiio can hopefully make a better adapter!

 

frown.gif Apple don't like Chinese brand, even we will like to pay 100% licence fee. they trend to believe that every Chinese company will lie about the quantity they sold. 

 

without the licence , we can't purchase the secret chip from Apple that means we can't develop it.

post #45 of 93

apple dont like chinese brand, but their apple devices are made.. . err, assembled in china, right? haha

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › iPhone 5 Line out?