I'm looking to purchase headphones within the sub $130 range. Which of these IEM's do you think is best? Can you recommend other ones if you find one that you think is better? I listen to basically all genres of music.
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/12
- productEtymotic MC5tagged by System, 9/13/12
- productEtymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones (Black)tagged by System, 9/13/12
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 9/13/12
- productGrado iGi Earphonestagged by System, 9/13/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/13/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 9/13/12
- productPhilips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptowntagged by System, 9/13/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 9/13/12
- productV-MODA XFLPR-ROUGE Crossfade LP Overear Headphones (Rouge)tagged by System, 9/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for portable headphones/ earphones/IEM for trip hop/electro music (150$ budget) Last post on 12/8/13 at 5:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Good IEM's for around $100 - $150? Last post on 9/15/12 at 4:46pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Thinking of getting a half decent pair for while I'm on the move... Last post on 9/11/12 at 11:55am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade to HF5's from MC5 or buy new SHR440's? Last post on 8/24/12 at 12:29pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which iem should I get for under $90? Last post on 8/1/12 at 3:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
Etymotic HF5 vs. Etymotic MC5 vs. Grado iGi?post #1 of 89/11/12 at 3:00pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 89/11/12 at 3:20pmI will listen to anything as well!
If I were a New Guy starting out...
I would snag a set of the Etymotic MC5s.
I would then perform the NRB Mod on em.
Then I would take the coin I saved and buy... Oh, I don't know, an amp maybe?
Just my opinion, Jim
PS Others will be along soon.post #3 of 89/11/12 at 3:33pmThread Starter
I have a FiiO e7, so I already have an amp. I also have 4 headphones, including Sennheiser HD598, VMODA Crossfade LP, Bose QC 15, and the Philips Uptown Citiscape. I just don't want to carry around one of those headphones,so I am deciding on an IEM to buy.post #4 of 89/11/12 at 3:35pmpost #5 of 89/11/12 at 3:54pmThread Starterpost #6 of 89/11/12 at 4:03pmQuote:
They would both be a good choice and serve your purpose like for like.
The difference is going to be first in driver type...
MC5 8mm Dynamic
HF5 Balanced Armature
The second difference that I can think of is going to be housing diameter. Naturally the MC5 is a little bigger. That will matter to some, based on the deep insertion requirement of the Ety Line. But, It does provide the BEST Noise Isolation of any IEM out there.
Otherwise, They are both Etys.
Jimpost #7 of 89/11/12 at 5:20pmThread Starter
The bigger housing diameter just means that it has more bass, right? i really don't want bass heavy IEM's, I prefer balanced over something being heavy. Also, does the fact that it goes in deep in your ear affect the comfort and the sound quality?post #8 of 89/11/12 at 5:33pmQuote:
Not really. It just has to do with the physical size of a dynamic driver vs a balanced armature. Also according to the Etymotic website, they both have the same accuracy score.
As far as the deep seal goes. The deeper seal prevents the occlusion effect that would be experienced with a shallow fit IEM.
Comfort for me is 8 plus hours with Comply Foam tips.
You should really go to each IEMs website for those that you might purchase and explore them. Finding out warranty, specs, and the like.
Cheers, JimReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic HF5 vs. Etymotic MC5 vs. Grado iGi?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › NEED HELP OVER-EAR OPEN HEADPHONERS FOR HEAVY METAL ( GRADO... 48 seconds ago
- › AudioValve RKV-II (OTL amp) (2014 version) + AudioValve Box... 1 minute ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 Latest Update 24-07-2014 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 3 minutes ago
- › Philips FIdelio X2?! 7 minutes ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 8 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 9 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 9 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)