I'm looking to purchase headphones within the sub $130 range. Which of these IEM's do you think is best? Can you recommend other ones if you find one that you think is better? I listen to basically all genres of music.
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/12
- productEtymotic MC5tagged by System, 9/13/12
- productEtymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones (Black)tagged by System, 9/13/12
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 9/13/12
- productGrado iGi Earphonestagged by System, 9/13/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/13/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 9/13/12
- productPhilips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptowntagged by System, 9/13/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 9/13/12
- productV-MODA XFLPR-ROUGE Crossfade LP Overear Headphones (Rouge)tagged by System, 9/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for portable headphones/ earphones/IEM for trip hop/electro music (150$ budget) Last post on 12/8/13 at 5:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Good IEM's for around $100 - $150? Last post on 9/15/12 at 4:46pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Thinking of getting a half decent pair for while I'm on the move... Last post on 9/11/12 at 11:55am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade to HF5's from MC5 or buy new SHR440's? Last post on 8/24/12 at 12:29pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which iem should I get for under $90? Last post on 8/1/12 at 3:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Etymotic HF5 vs. Etymotic MC5 vs. Grado iGi?post #1 of 89/11/12 at 3:00pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 89/11/12 at 3:20pmI will listen to anything as well!
If I were a New Guy starting out...
I would snag a set of the Etymotic MC5s.
I would then perform the NRB Mod on em.
Then I would take the coin I saved and buy... Oh, I don't know, an amp maybe?
Just my opinion, Jim
PS Others will be along soon.post #3 of 89/11/12 at 3:33pmThread Starter
I have a FiiO e7, so I already have an amp. I also have 4 headphones, including Sennheiser HD598, VMODA Crossfade LP, Bose QC 15, and the Philips Uptown Citiscape. I just don't want to carry around one of those headphones,so I am deciding on an IEM to buy.post #4 of 89/11/12 at 3:35pmpost #5 of 89/11/12 at 3:54pmThread Starterpost #6 of 89/11/12 at 4:03pmQuote:
They would both be a good choice and serve your purpose like for like.
The difference is going to be first in driver type...
MC5 8mm Dynamic
HF5 Balanced Armature
The second difference that I can think of is going to be housing diameter. Naturally the MC5 is a little bigger. That will matter to some, based on the deep insertion requirement of the Ety Line. But, It does provide the BEST Noise Isolation of any IEM out there.
Otherwise, They are both Etys.
Jimpost #7 of 89/11/12 at 5:20pmThread Starter
The bigger housing diameter just means that it has more bass, right? i really don't want bass heavy IEM's, I prefer balanced over something being heavy. Also, does the fact that it goes in deep in your ear affect the comfort and the sound quality?post #8 of 89/11/12 at 5:33pmQuote:
Not really. It just has to do with the physical size of a dynamic driver vs a balanced armature. Also according to the Etymotic website, they both have the same accuracy score.
As far as the deep seal goes. The deeper seal prevents the occlusion effect that would be experienced with a shallow fit IEM.
Comfort for me is 8 plus hours with Comply Foam tips.
You should really go to each IEMs website for those that you might purchase and explore them. Finding out warranty, specs, and the like.
Cheers, JimReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic HF5 vs. Etymotic MC5 vs. Grado iGi?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 34 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 40 seconds ago
- › Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz) 52 seconds ago
- › [EU] Hifiman HE-500 + Schiit Lyr + Schiit Bifrost UBER 1 minute ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 1 minute ago
- › 9/13/14 Lawrence, Kansas Headfi meeting Impression. 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TE-05 Japanese Price, Release Date Announced 2 minutes ago
- › I have a $300 budget for a new pair of headphones, can I get some... 3 minutes ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)