I'm looking to purchase headphones within the sub $130 range. Which of these IEM's do you think is best? Can you recommend other ones if you find one that you think is better? I listen to basically all genres of music.
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/12
- productEtymotic MC5tagged by System, 9/13/12
- productEtymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 9/13/12
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 9/13/12
- productGrado iGi Earphonestagged by System, 9/13/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/13/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 9/13/12
- productPhilips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptowntagged by System, 9/13/12
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 9/13/12
- productV-MODA Crossfade LP Over-ear Headphonetagged by System, 9/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for portable headphones/ earphones/IEM for trip hop/electro music (150$ budget) Last post on 12/8/13 at 5:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Good IEM's for around $100 - $150? Last post on 9/15/12 at 4:46pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Thinking of getting a half decent pair for while I'm on the move... Last post on 9/11/12 at 11:55am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade to HF5's from MC5 or buy new SHR440's? Last post on 8/24/12 at 12:29pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which iem should I get for under $90? Last post on 8/1/12 at 3:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
These are *fantastic* for the price. Compared side by side to some old Sennheiser MX500s, that cost at least 4x as much, the Monk+ absolutely wipes the floor - they are hugely superior. Warm...
Acknowledgment Thanks, @Andykong at Cayin, and @Takeanidea for organizing the UK wing of the worldwide extravaganza of i5 tour. It is always an honour to work with great companies and dear...
Introductory word They say that once you go black.... yeah. This is quite self-explanatory. And behold, black iFi Audio product emerged. I can only say - finally. Cheers to 'em English folks....
Company 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears) is a well-known maker of top-level multidriver IEMs. They are offering a big range of models, but the most attractive feature of their earphones is APEX...
In my self-imposed haughtiness and superiority, I have always told Alfred and Martin that I will be the high-end reviewer for this blog, and that they should be responsible for more budget...
Etymotic HF5 vs. Etymotic MC5 vs. Grado iGi?post #1 of 89/11/12 at 3:00pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 89/11/12 at 3:20pmI will listen to anything as well!
If I were a New Guy starting out...
I would snag a set of the Etymotic MC5s.
I would then perform the NRB Mod on em.
Then I would take the coin I saved and buy... Oh, I don't know, an amp maybe?
Just my opinion, Jim
PS Others will be along soon.post #3 of 89/11/12 at 3:33pmThread Starter
I have a FiiO e7, so I already have an amp. I also have 4 headphones, including Sennheiser HD598, VMODA Crossfade LP, Bose QC 15, and the Philips Uptown Citiscape. I just don't want to carry around one of those headphones,so I am deciding on an IEM to buy.post #4 of 89/11/12 at 3:35pmpost #5 of 89/11/12 at 3:54pmThread Starterpost #6 of 89/11/12 at 4:03pmQuote:
They would both be a good choice and serve your purpose like for like.
The difference is going to be first in driver type...
MC5 8mm Dynamic
HF5 Balanced Armature
The second difference that I can think of is going to be housing diameter. Naturally the MC5 is a little bigger. That will matter to some, based on the deep insertion requirement of the Ety Line. But, It does provide the BEST Noise Isolation of any IEM out there.
Otherwise, They are both Etys.
Jimpost #7 of 89/11/12 at 5:20pmThread Starter
The bigger housing diameter just means that it has more bass, right? i really don't want bass heavy IEM's, I prefer balanced over something being heavy. Also, does the fact that it goes in deep in your ear affect the comfort and the sound quality?post #8 of 89/11/12 at 5:33pmQuote:
Not really. It just has to do with the physical size of a dynamic driver vs a balanced armature. Also according to the Etymotic website, they both have the same accuracy score.
As far as the deep seal goes. The deeper seal prevents the occlusion effect that would be experienced with a shallow fit IEM.
Comfort for me is 8 plus hours with Comply Foam tips.
You should really go to each IEMs website for those that you might purchase and explore them. Finding out warranty, specs, and the like.
Cheers, JimReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic HF5 vs. Etymotic MC5 vs. Grado iGi?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. 1-17-2017 Now... 41 seconds ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 51 seconds ago
- › despite a luke warm review on what hi-fi..and limited other info..... 1 minute ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 1 minute ago
- › Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and... 2 minutes ago
- › Best Setup Options Using HD800/S for Virtual Surround Gaming and... 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 3 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 4 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by... 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by spronkey
- › Cayin i5 by glassmonkey
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by 00lunar
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by cleg
- › qdc Balanced armature type (BA type) 3SH （QDC-4024） by prismstorm
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear