I'm looking to purchase headphones within the sub $130 range. Which of these IEM's do you think is best? Can you recommend other ones if you find one that you think is better? I listen to basically all genres of music.
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/12
- productEtymotic MC5tagged by System, 9/13/12
- productEtymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones (Black)tagged by System, 9/13/12
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 9/13/12
- productGrado iGi Earphonestagged by System, 9/13/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 9/13/12
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 9/13/12
- productPhilips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptowntagged by System, 9/13/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 9/13/12
- productV-MODA XFLPR-ROUGE Crossfade LP Overear Headphones (Rouge)tagged by System, 9/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for portable headphones/ earphones/IEM for trip hop/electro music (150$ budget) Last post on 12/8/13 at 5:13pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Good IEM's for around $100 - $150? Last post on 9/15/12 at 4:46pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Thinking of getting a half decent pair for while I'm on the move... Last post on 9/11/12 at 11:55am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrade to HF5's from MC5 or buy new SHR440's? Last post on 8/24/12 at 12:29pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which iem should I get for under $90? Last post on 8/1/12 at 3:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
These are great headphones I was turned onto from the forum. On this forum you have to assess who is enthusiastic about what. Generally, there is a difference between enthusiasm from novices...
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music... [[SPOILER]] . Prelude:I...
I Ventured to buy those headphones fater a massive discount in pre-christmas sales here in mexico, for $178 USD i consider them to be a great buy The construction of those cans seems to be...
This is gonna be a simple review BASS For a $7 in ear it is actually really good. A little overbearing at times but quite articulate considering the price. MIDS They are not airy and vocals by...
These headphones sound very precise and balanced. You will hear your music as it was recorded, mixed, and mastered which is the approach I prefer to trying to find headphones that try to EQ things...
Etymotic HF5 vs. Etymotic MC5 vs. Grado iGi?post #1 of 89/11/12 at 3:00pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 89/11/12 at 3:20pmI will listen to anything as well!
If I were a New Guy starting out...
I would snag a set of the Etymotic MC5s.
I would then perform the NRB Mod on em.
Then I would take the coin I saved and buy... Oh, I don't know, an amp maybe?
Just my opinion, Jim
PS Others will be along soon.post #3 of 89/11/12 at 3:33pmThread Starter
I have a FiiO e7, so I already have an amp. I also have 4 headphones, including Sennheiser HD598, VMODA Crossfade LP, Bose QC 15, and the Philips Uptown Citiscape. I just don't want to carry around one of those headphones,so I am deciding on an IEM to buy.post #4 of 89/11/12 at 3:35pmpost #5 of 89/11/12 at 3:54pmThread Starterpost #6 of 89/11/12 at 4:03pmQuote:
They would both be a good choice and serve your purpose like for like.
The difference is going to be first in driver type...
MC5 8mm Dynamic
HF5 Balanced Armature
The second difference that I can think of is going to be housing diameter. Naturally the MC5 is a little bigger. That will matter to some, based on the deep insertion requirement of the Ety Line. But, It does provide the BEST Noise Isolation of any IEM out there.
Otherwise, They are both Etys.
Jimpost #7 of 89/11/12 at 5:20pmThread Starter
The bigger housing diameter just means that it has more bass, right? i really don't want bass heavy IEM's, I prefer balanced over something being heavy. Also, does the fact that it goes in deep in your ear affect the comfort and the sound quality?post #8 of 89/11/12 at 5:33pmQuote:
Not really. It just has to do with the physical size of a dynamic driver vs a balanced armature. Also according to the Etymotic website, they both have the same accuracy score.
As far as the deep seal goes. The deeper seal prevents the occlusion effect that would be experienced with a shallow fit IEM.
Comfort for me is 8 plus hours with Comply Foam tips.
You should really go to each IEMs website for those that you might purchase and explore them. Finding out warranty, specs, and the like.
Cheers, JimReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic HF5 vs. Etymotic MC5 vs. Grado iGi?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 12 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 15 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 26 seconds ago
- › Output Impedance and Planar Magnetics 36 seconds ago
- › The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family! 1 minute ago
- › JH Audio's continued collaboration with A&K: Introducing Layla & Angie 1 minute ago
- › Is it worth it to become an Audiophile (I fear its too late to turn... 2 minutes ago
- › Havi B6 ! 4 minutes ago
- › Heads up! Dick Smith "Premium headphones VT H68" aluminum and... 5 minutes ago
- › EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz M5 by vaziyetu
- › beyerynamic DT 150 Compact Closed Headphone (250 Ohms) by jdpark
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by Mitchell4500
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)