Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition - Page 58

post #856 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I can kind of understand. There are headphones that specialize in genres due to emphasis on certain ranges that make particular genres more exciting and engaging.

The Annie is the very definition of all rounder. It does everything well, but it wouldn't replace a bass heavy headphone for my EDM fix. That's not to say I wouldn't be fine with them for those uses. If I could only own one headphone, it would be the Annie.

I'm glad to hear that, because I just went from the disappointing M50 (which made it impossible to listen anything outside of EDM) to the Annie + Magni/Modi. Now I'm starting to think my "it's an investment" excuse will fade away and I'll just stick by these till they disintegrate.

post #857 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I can kind of understand. There are headphones that specialize in genres due to emphasis on certain ranges that make particular genres more exciting and engaging.

The Annie is the very definition of all rounder. It does everything well, but it wouldn't replace a bass heavy headphone for my EDM fix. That's not to say I wouldn't be fine with them for those uses. If I could only own one headphone, it would be the Annie.

I think the same about my Q701 when used with an E17 so I can boost the bass ever so slightly. With the Q701, 90% of the time I use the E17 on +2 bass, and the other 10% I use it on +4 bass. Even with electronic music (like ambient/chillout) I'm happy with the Q701 with the E17, and a +4db bass boost. This pairing leaves me with the perfect balance for my tastes. There is not a single area I'd wish for improvement on, and I've had this headphone and amp for just over 3 months so the honeymoon phase is over. 

post #858 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

I don't mind the BIG logo.  I'm gonna get one to try.

 

Found a wooden banana stand at Walmart and another at Target for no more than $10 a piece, and they look pretty damn good might I add (of course I pulled out the metal hook that actually holds the bananas and just rest the cans on top of the wooden arch.

post #859 of 3282
That metal arch still leaves indentations, and there isn't enough area for most headphones, IMHO.

With the Bwavz stands, there the curved top, and area for the pads to rest intstead of just hang, and they won't tip over either.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/20/13 at 7:24pm
post #860 of 3282

Seeing as these have detachable cables, does anyone know where one can get a shortened cable, or maybe a coiled one?

 

That's one thing that always bugged me about my K701's; More cable than I know what to do with.

post #861 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2enty3 View Post

Seeing as these have detachable cables, does anyone know where one can get a shortened cable, or maybe a coiled one?

 

That's one thing that always bugged me about my K701's; More cable than I know what to do with.

 

I'd like to know the same thing. I'd like a simple 5 foot cable. Something of the same quality as the stock cable. 

post #862 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

 

I'd like to know the same thing. I'd like a simple 5 foot cable. Something of the same quality as the stock cable. 

 

Try this one:

http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MIC32-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

 

It uses Belden wire I think and is lower capacitance than stock. I won't mention anything else or someone will whine about it normal_smile%20.gif

It does have good shielding inside.

 

You can get it in any size you want. $26.59 for a 5 foot version.

 

Even the stupid mini-XLRs now are $7 if you DIY. I hate soldering those and it's like torture for me. Can barely see the stupid things.

post #863 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Try this one:

http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MIC32-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

 

It uses Belden wire I think and is lower capacitance than stock. I won't mention anything else or someone will whine about it normal_smile%20.gif

It does have good shielding inside.

 

You can get it in any size you want. $26.59 for a 5 foot version.

 

Even the stupid mini-XLRs now are $7 if you DIY. I hate soldering those and it's like torture for me. Can barely see the stupid things.

Have you used this cable? 

post #864 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Try this one:
http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MIC32-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

It uses Belden wire I think and is lower capacitance than stock. I won't mention anything else or someone will whine about it normal_smile%20.gif
It does have good shielding inside.

You can get it in any size you want. $26.59 for a 5 foot version.

Even the stupid mini-XLRs now are $7 if you DIY. I hate soldering those and it's like torture for me. Can barely see the stupid things.

My concern is that I remember you saying that no cable sounds as good as stock on the AKGs...
post #865 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

Have you used this cable? 

 

Yes I have, but I prefer stock.

It's pretty high quality and uses good plugs/connectors. They also have a lifetime warranty.

It's a bit thinner than stock, but it shouldn't really matter.

Here's a PDF I found:

http://best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/pdf/CA-0363.pdf

 

Zombie_X can also make you one for cheap maybe. Not sure of cost.

post #866 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


My concern is that I remember you saying that no cable sounds as good as stock on the AKGs...


Trying to start a cable argument? biggrin.gif j/k

 

I still believe that ALO SXC and ultra low capacitance wire sucks the life out of the Q701.

I hate it..ugh. People can say i'm hearing things all they want. Silver plated copper was nice for the first week, then I realized something was "off".

 

NOTE: price doesn't matter. Sometimes "crappy" stock cables are better than $200 fancy pants wires.

 

Now i'm a believer in cable capacitance and good shielding. That is all...I use Monoprice. Someday i'll make me a nice Monoprice Q701 cable!

post #867 of 3282
What do you think as non-stock cables go would fit a warmer Q701? I'd want something short as an alternative. Like 5 footer.

While I don't see cables as being too much of a difference, I do hear subtle changes just using different extension cables. I swapped out the cable on the Slyr to a Mediabridge 3.5mm to 3.5mm and it was definitely brighter.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/21/13 at 6:49pm
post #868 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

What do you think as non-stock cables go would fit a warmer Q701? I'd want something short as an alternative. Like 5 footer.

 

Mogami W2893 would be perfect! It's good and cheap. 60 cents per foot. For the Q701 you only need 3 of the wires though I believe.

I use a Canare Q701 cable with my Magni, otherwise i'm kind of annoyed. Canare is high capacitance wire (similar to the HD-650 cable) and sounds kind of muffled with warm headphones. Impossible!

I think the capacitance rating of the stock Q701 cable is probably similar to what's found in stores like from RCA, GE or maybe even the Monoprice stuff. Someone should measure it for my own amusement.

 

How come nobody ever uses silver for the Q701? normal_smile%20.gif

post #869 of 3282
Well, I think even though the Annie is warmer, it can still benefit from more warmth.
post #870 of 3282
I would suggest tubes Mad Lust, but you already have a killer setup and there's no reason to screw with that.

The 6N23P with rocket logo has very good synergy with the Annie's though, adds a nice bit of warmth without sacrificing clarity.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition