Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition - Page 209

post #3121 of 3252
Comprehensive comparison (China vs. Austria Made, FR, Pads, etc.):
http://www.akg-pro.ch/files_ap/AKG/Produkte/K702%2065th%20Anniversary%20Limited%20Edition/akg_k702_65th_anniversary_limited_edition_katalog_de.pdf
post #3122 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamlaura View Post
 

Do you all think I should wait till the e18 becomes available?  That would mean almost a whole month before I can try these cans with an amp.  Or is there something that makes sense to pair with the e18/17 later as a duo (dac or something --- I don't really understand how that works though).

 

E17 and E18 has built in DAC. If you don't really need any portable devices, check the link in my signature to learn more about Aune T1. T1 is an affordable high price over performance tube DAC SS amp. You can of course get DAC and amp separately, but that usually costs more than the dac-amp combos (especially in your price range). T1 fits your budget and has very nice synergy with annies (amp is on the natural / slightly bright side. I wouldn't recommend too dark sounding amp for the annies). What comes to FiiO products I'd wait for the E18. This is mainly because of the battery issues (E17 sometimes powers off and you have to reset it which also resets all your settings).

 

To test amplification you could always visit some of your local hifi stores.

post #3123 of 3252

Hi Salvatore - 

 

Thanks for that great reply, it's really helpful!  I'm not sure of the best place to test cans and amps in LA, but I'll try to figure that one out.  

 

Thanks again for the great answer!

post #3124 of 3252

The more I listen to these the more they make me want to listen to my T1. What is wrong with these? My T1 make any type of music sound great. These seem only to perform on classical and high frequency music. Am I the only one who finds them lacking punch on the low end? Or is it something with my setup?

post #3125 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by inasafeplace View Post

The more I listen to these the more they make me want to listen to my T1. What is wrong with these? My T1 make any type of music sound great. These seem only to perform on classical and high frequency music. Am I the only one who finds them lacking punch on the low end? Or is it something with my setup?

Probably the bassy sound from these overall, which isn't well defined. Also the t1 are very hot on treble which makes them seem clearer and more detailed, but in their own right have a selection of flaws
post #3126 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post


Probably the bassy sound from these overall, which isn't well defined. Also the t1 are very hot on treble which makes them seem clearer and more detailed, but in their own right have a selection of flaws


T1s might have their flaws. I haven't heard any headphone that sound half as good yet, but may do in the future. T1s still perform better in every aspect if you compare them to the K702. Larger soundstage, better instrument seperation, much better bass. Both may be a little bit bright (my T1s only felt bright when I first got them, they don't anymore), but not half as bright as the K702. The  T1s are also much more comfortable than the K702.

 

AGaisn, it might be a problem with my setup. Why do the K702 feel so weak compared to my T1? I have seen so much praise to the K702 on this website it has to be something on my end.

post #3127 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by inasafeplace View Post
 


T1s might have their flaws. I haven't heard any headphone that sound half as good yet, but may do in the future. T1s still perform better in every aspect if you compare them to the K702. Larger soundstage, better instrument seperation, much better bass. Both may be a little bit bright (my T1s only felt bright when I first got them, they don't anymore), but not half as bright as the K702. The  T1s are also much more comfortable than the K702.

 

AGaisn, it might be a problem with my setup. Why do the K702 feel so weak compared to my T1? I have seen so much praise to the K702 on this website it has to be something on my end.

 

Here you go, http://www.head-fi.org/t/595522/akg-k702-vs-beyerdynamic-t1-in-the-studio

post #3128 of 3252

Got mine a couple of weeks ago, SN3908. Wasn't impressed at all by the out-of-box perfermance as they sounded muddy and congested. Opened up arround 200 hours burn-in. I wouldn't call these neutral. Compared with the other 2 AKGs I own (601 and 702), they're obviously more colored (on the warm side), more colored even than hd650.


Edited by matrim - 10/29/13 at 3:03am
post #3129 of 3252

I think "congested" would be at the bottom of my list of adjectives to describe the K702/65.

post #3130 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

I think "congested" would be at the bottom of my list of adjectives to describe the K702/65.

Well, my initial impression was a surprise, esp. compared with the standard 702s, which have a open, spacious sound. Apart from the coloration, the soundstage is more intimately presented, so different from the 702s that I wondered why they were named 702...Even after burn in, I still think annies are inferior to 702 in terms of transparency and openness.

post #3131 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrim View Post
 

Well, my initial impression was a surprise, esp. compared with the standard 702s, which have a open, spacious sound. Apart from the coloration, the soundstage is more intimately presented, so different from the 702s that I wondered why they were named 702...Even after burn in, I still think annies are inferior to 702 in terms of transparency and openness.

Try switching the pads from the K702 onto the Annies.

post #3132 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

Try switching the pads from the K702 onto the Annies.

Tried that. The familiar soundstage of 702s came back somewhat, but the coloration was still there.

post #3133 of 3252

I gotcha. I don't doubt the difference as I've never listened to the K702. I still find my HD580's to have much better bass extension and to sound warmer overall compared to the K702/65's but I'm sure most people wouldn't agree with me.

post #3134 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by inasafeplace View Post
 

The more I listen to these the more they make me want to listen to my T1. What is wrong with these? My T1 make any type of music sound great. These seem only to perform on classical and high frequency music. Am I the only one who finds them lacking punch on the low end? Or is it something with my setup?

 

The K702/65 has quite a bit of bass for me, at least when compared to the likes of ATH AD series. My old T1 has about the same amount of bass, maybe even less due to the pronounced treble. The K702/65's treble doesn't stand out that much, almost HD 650-like. I use my Fostex HP-A8 DAC/amp.

 

This AKG is overall quite warm which is different from the old K70x lot for sure. I'm curious what the K712 sounds like.

post #3135 of 3252

I've owned this headphone for just two days, but I am quite impressed.

 

I've removed those foam rings, and I am using an EQ to boost those sub-bass frequencies a little. I boost those ~55hz frequencies by about 5 db.

And is it just me, or does the soundstage perform way better when the cups are placed correctly? For me that's basically when the headphone is placed as low as possible on my skull for some reason.

 

If I had to describe the sound so far, I would say that it's effortless and neutral. The slow bass of the HD650, and the piercing treble and lack of upper mids in the HE400, are making me really appreciate these features.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition