Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition - Page 195

post #2911 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepope View Post


Sweet, thank you! I am thinking about getting that Magni amp. I have a question though that might be stupid but i gotta ask.. If i would get the STX and use a 3,5mm to rca and connect it to the Magni amp, will i be able to get surround sound then which i need for fps gaming or will it be limited to stereo? I am asking because i need to be able to have both but i'm having trouble finding an external amp that can give me the surround sound.

 

I would suggest the Fiio E9k or E9 instead. To my ears it's a better match for the Q701. I got rid of my Magni within a few months and I even sold my E9 to buy it.

I now have the E17 as a backup amp. Magni sounded kind of bright to me..and I know it measures flat.

 

Doesn't matter much but the E9 uses the same op-amp as the Matrix M-Stage. I imagine the M-Stage is like an E9 on steroids (like my Micro Amp).

 

LOL Magni would probably make your AE sound like the Q701 biggrin.gif

post #2912 of 3282

I had the E9k when I had the Q701 and thought it was sufficient enough. I do agree with you're emphasis on the M-stage being like an "E9 on steroids." They both sounded very similar to my ears... with the M-Stage having slightly more air in its soundstage.

post #2913 of 3282

When I briefly had the Annie, i thought the E09K was way too dark on it. Same problem with the HD650, imo. I'm thinking the O2 and Annie could be a great combo. I just rediscovered the O2 w/ my HD600 and am really liking it. I just ordered a Q701 and I'll be trying it with a E09K, O2 and RW Amp1. I only had the Annie for a short time and felt there was a lot of overlap with the HD650. Now that the HD650 is gone, I'm looking forward to something to compliment the HD600. I should have kept the Annie longer the first time I had it...

post #2914 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

When I briefly had the Annie, i thought the E09K was way too dark on it. Same problem with the HD650, imo. I'm thinking the O2 and Annie could be a great combo. I just rediscovered the O2 w/ my HD600 and am really liking it. I just ordered a Q701 and I'll be trying it with a E09K, O2 and RW Amp1. I only had the Annie for a short time and felt there was a lot of overlap with the HD650. Now that the HD650 is gone, I'm looking forward to something to compliment the HD600. I should have kept the Annie longer the first time I had it...

Order the Annie memory foam pads from AKG parts and your Q701 will sound 99% similar to it... giving you two different sound sigs in one headphone. Great bargain, IMHO.
post #2915 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

When I briefly had the Annie, i thought the E09K was way too dark on it. Same problem with the HD650, imo. I'm thinking the O2 and Annie could be a great combo. I just rediscovered the O2 w/ my HD600 and am really liking it. I just ordered a Q701 and I'll be trying it with a E09K, O2 and RW Amp1. I only had the Annie for a short time and felt there was a lot of overlap with the HD650. Now that the HD650 is gone, I'm looking forward to something to compliment the HD600. I should have kept the Annie longer the first time I had it...

 

I think the Annie is too dark on ANY amp biggrin.gif The only time I found the E09k too dark ALMOST was when I had the HD-650 along with the HRT MSII. To my ears the MSII is kind of warm (quite a large touch of warmth) and has a closed in soundstage. Even warmer than my E17 I think. When I switched to the ODAC I was surprised how much better my Q701 sounded. HD-650 or DJ100 + HRT MSII was not a good match IMO.

 

As someone just mentioned, get some Annie pads for your Q701. IMO you still need to remove the outer grill foam or it will be maybe a tad warmer than the regular Annie perhaps. It takes like 2 seconds. Use a piece of tape and rotate the grill counter clockwise. The Annie doesn't have the foam. Most people won't hear any difference and some say it's placebo.

 

Have you tried the Magni? I want to try the O2, but if it's really a clone of the Magni as they say then i'd probably not like it. Magni seems almost too bright. I can't imagine the O2 sounding that way...

 

My perfect amp is one that sounds good with EVERYTHING. Already have it normal_smile%20.gif

 

Hmm, if the E09k is too dark for the HD-650 I wonder if the M-Stage is as well? Both have the same op-amps and the M-Stage is said to be kind of dark. Probably not or just close.

post #2916 of 3282
Useless getting the E09k if you have the STX, as they are essentially the same exact thing, down to the internals, specs, and output impedance.

I'd say the STX would be more than good enough for the Annie, and if you feel the need to upgrade, the Magni will be too close in performance. I'd save up for something better, just not now. Enjoy the STX first.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/3/13 at 8:24pm
post #2917 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post


For movies I prefer a set of closed headphone for that, I need that weighty bass for the explosion.

I prefer super clear vocal with realistic vocal weight that can convey emotion + adequate bass quantity and detail, but not priority.
My favourites for movie are HD800, HD650, AD2000, AD700.
post #2918 of 3282
If you really like the Ad700, the standard K70x will be a clear upgrade from them. You may not need the Annie, though you did mention the HD650, and you can consider the Annie to be a more open, more balanced (the bass isn't so titled to the mid bass but more fleshed out), faster HD650.
post #2919 of 3282
Judging from the sudden jack up in price on Amazon and the release of the K712... will these be a rare piece in a couple years? I understand these are limited, but without a clear number of how many there are I find it intriguing.
post #2920 of 3282
Well, as long as they still sell the K702, all you have to do is buy the memory foam pads, and you'll have the Annie... basically. Just without the cool color, and possibly a different flat headband (assuming the rumors of a flat heaband K702 are true, and from what I say of the Ebay listing, it may just be).
post #2921 of 3282
Well, based on sound, then yes you are right. I'm talkin about actual value since its a limited edtion model
post #2922 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Well, based on sound, then yes you are right. I'm talkin about actual value since its a limited edtion model

They weren't very limited....

post #2923 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaxon69 View Post

They weren't very limited....

 

Not in the head-fi community... but only assuming 6,000 pieces in the world after a couple years will be limited. My Q701 I had a few months ago was number 15,xxx.


Edited by Change is Good - 8/4/13 at 4:06am
post #2924 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post
 Just without the cool color, and possibly a different flat headband (assuming the rumors of a flat heaband K702 are true, and from what I say of the Ebay listing, it may just be).

AKG confirmed the flat headband in an email for the k702.

post #2925 of 3282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Well, as long as they still sell the K702, all you have to do is buy the memory foam pads, and you'll have the Annie... basically. Just without the cool color, and possibly a different flat headband (assuming the rumors of a flat heaband K702 are true, and from what I say of the Ebay listing, it may just be).

Hm, sorry if my question is dumb. Do 702A have same drivers as 702 or q701?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition