Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition - Page 182

post #2716 of 3188

I was using the Annies with the Centrance DAC Mini it was a little bit better than the DragonFly. 

post #2717 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemomec View Post

I was using the Annies with the Centrance DAC Mini it was a little bit better than the DragonFly. 


I would hope so...Not sure what your point is as the 2 products are nothing alike confused.gif

 

I had asked on this thread a couple times about how the headphone sounds with the DragonFly and no one ever responded so I just figured I'd let some people know.  That being said I am sure there are MANY things that sound better than the DF.


Edited by jmsaxon69 - 6/23/13 at 6:13am
post #2718 of 3188

Can someone recommend a tube amp for these? Basically I want to get into tube amp sound and would like a unit that is built well and will last. I don't want to get into a cheaper tube amp and then have to upgrade down the road. I guess my price range is $300-$600. Obviously would like to spend the least amount possible while getting a nice piece of gear. 

post #2719 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Can someone recommend a tube amp for these? Basically I want to get into tube amp sound and would like a unit that is built well and will last. I don't want to get into a cheaper tube amp and then have to upgrade down the road. I guess my price range is $300-$600. Obviously would like to spend the least amount possible while getting a nice piece of gear. 

 

Can't say for certain, as I don't have any first-hand experience -- but since the K702 has a relatively low impedance (62 ohms), I would suspect that an OTC tube amp would be better than an OTL one.  A good option might be the Woo WA6 -- insanely high quality construction, and just slightly above your stated price range (currently $660).

 

I have tried the K702 AE with the Schiit Valhalla, which is an OTL tube amp -- I would probably avoid this pairing.  The sound is a bit flat and lifeless when compared to my solid-state Asgard 2 with the K702 AEs.  The Valhalla is a great amp with higher impedance headphones, but it just doesn't match particularly well with the AKGs, IMO.

post #2720 of 3188

I'm kind of upset that the K712 Pro comes with 2 cables and a carrying bag. Seems like the kind of thing that should have come with an anniversary edition. 

post #2721 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Can someone recommend a tube amp for these? Basically I want to get into tube amp sound and would like a unit that is built well and will last. I don't want to get into a cheaper tube amp and then have to upgrade down the road. I guess my price range is $300-$600. Obviously would like to spend the least amount possible while getting a nice piece of gear. 

 

You could read into good tube amplifiers for the K701 and have very similar results. It might be a bit of a stretch for your budget, but I found the Little Dot MKVI+ to be a really good pairing with the K701. The bass became punchy and tight, and a really great midrange. 

post #2722 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophonax View Post


I have tried the K702 AE with the Schiit Valhalla, which is an OTL tube amp -- I would probably avoid this pairing.  The sound is a bit flat and lifeless when compared to my solid-state Asgard 2 with the K702 AEs.  The Valhalla is a great amp with higher impedance headphones, but it just doesn't match particularly well with the AKGs, IMO.

I agree completely! Can't wait till I have a working Asgard 2 to run the K702 65th!
post #2723 of 3188

Well it looks like I will be looking to buy a Schiit Lyr. With the low impedance of the Annies, most cheap tube amps just won't work. One nice thing to the Lyr is that it can drive just about any headphone. I have a Schiit Magni and it is quite impressive for such a small amp. I am very happy with it. One thing I really like about the Lyr is that I can use it to hook into my main system and get the tube sound there as well (pre-amp)

 

It didn't take long to see that I have to spend a good chunk of change to find something with enough power to handle the Annies. Going from the mixamp (70mW at 32 ohm) to the Magni was a huge difference (Magni I use for gaming). I was actually blown away at how different the sound was with just adding more power. Night and Day difference. 

 

I have always wanted to pick up a tube amp for my stereo system. The cost was way too high to justify trying something I may not like. For under $500 I can try out tubes on my headphones and A/B the differences. If I like it enough I will have to save a little to grab the McIntosh Amp I have always wanted! (this could get expensive, lol). 

 

Thanks everyone for the help. Curious what everyone is using with their Annies for amping. 


Edited by mbyrnes - 6/27/13 at 11:21pm
post #2724 of 3188

I use the Fiio E09K for now. It's pretty decent with a solid amount of power. But later on I may consider balancing the Annies so I can feed it with Mjolnir.

 

Warning: My friend brought over the Lyr with JJ tubes... Very harsh combo for the Annies... nigh unlistenable. In fact, even with HD 650 (which are usually quite forgiving) I didn't like the JJ tubes. Just stay away from them mad.gif.

post #2725 of 3188

Can anyone compare the bass of the K702 Annv to say an ortho headphone? 

 

I'm wondering if it would make a nice complementary pair to my He-500, or if I should just not bother buying another headphone all together.

 

Thanks!

-T

post #2726 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedTea View Post

Can anyone compare the bass of the K702 Annv to say an ortho headphone? 

 

I'm wondering if it would make a nice complementary pair to my He-500, or if I should just not bother buying another headphone all together.

 

Thanks!

-T

 

IMO, it'll be a downgrade from the HE-500, and not a "side-grade with a different flavor". 

post #2727 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

IMO, it'll be a downgrade from the HE-500, and not a "side-grade with a different flavor". 

Indeed. Downgrade would be an understatement IMO.
post #2728 of 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedTea View Post

Can anyone compare the bass of the K702 Annv to say an ortho headphone? 

 

I'm wondering if it would make a nice complementary pair to my He-500, or if I should just not bother buying another headphone all together.

 

Thanks!

-T

I have both at the present and would agree that it's a downgrade all-around.

post #2729 of 3188

Thanks everyone for their input :) 

 

I'll save up the money and use it towards a rangefinder then. :D 

post #2730 of 3188

I unexpectedly ran into a used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 today for $149 so I grabbed it! Sounds good for the K702 65th! Pretty good sound, I may look into some of the tweaks for it since i have so little invested in it!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition