Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition - Page 178

post #2656 of 3233

My ears touch just slightly, but it's not enough to bother me.  I can still go for several hours with them.

 

The X1 has deeper pads than the Anniversary though.

post #2657 of 3233

I know i've mentioned this before and you all thought I was nuts, but...

 

These sound better after the pads have warmed up and have been on your head for a few minutes. Maybe around 5.

This makes a little sense with memory foam. Could by my imagination, but i'm pretty sure it's not. This is the 2nd time I've experienced this.

Months ago I kept telling myself the sound seemed to vary so much.

Could be due to placement? Doubt that. It's not a big deal really but this seems really weird. My pads definitely do change after wearing them for a few minutes.

 

Try this out with some really harsh and fatiguing music. Like maybe Jpop. After they've warmed these bad tracks sound smoother.

 

I've also noticed that very low bit-rate music sounds worse on the Annie compared to the Q701. I wonder why?

I have no clue how a 96kbps mp3 file got in my collection. Must be an encoding error. Yeah and it's sounds awful.

 

Anyway, when I first put the headphone on the pads are much harder. When they've been on my head for an hour they're super soft and they go flat easily.

 

It seems I have some tracks that are worse on the Annie and others that were worse on the Q701.

I'm surprised how with some headphones I can be fatigued by lower mids confused_face_2.gif I think that only happened before on the PX100-II and Philips Downtown.

 

Some music does sound amazing on the Anniversary, but too bad I don't have enough of that in my collection. Most of it sounds pretty dull.

 

 

BTW the E17 with L7 I really like as a DAC for the K702 Annie. I'm using that connecting to my Micro Amp. The lower mids are a bit bothersome on some bad music though (due to amp+headphone combo)

 

For some reason Sigur Ros sounds terrible on this. I think the recordings must be really poor. "Gong" is really bad and fatiguing. It's bad on the Modi too, but not as bad as on the E17.

post #2658 of 3233
I was asking of you can buy the 65'th pads separately ...
post #2659 of 3233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

These sound better after the pads have warmed up and have been on your head for a few minutes. Maybe around 5.

This makes a little sense with memory foam. Could by my imagination, but i'm pretty sure it's not.

 

The memory foam definitely softens up as it heats up (from your head).  The pads are stiffer before you wear them.

 

If you leave them in the cold for a while, the pads get rock hard.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post

I was asking of you can buy the 65'th pads separately ...

 

Yes you can.  Through Frank at AKG:

 

Frank Rodriguez

E-mail: frank.rodriguez@harman.com
Phone: 818-920-3279
fax: 818-920-3218


Edited by chicolom - 6/11/13 at 3:37pm
post #2660 of 3233
Maybe my ears do touch then and I don't really notice it. Hmmm I do have monkey ears though, I see it on my nephews.
post #2661 of 3233
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post

I was asking of you can buy the 65'th pads separately ...

 

 

Yes You Can............. Here is the part number, and a contact

 

 

5021871        $36.84 ea

 

 

Frank Rodriguez

Customer Service Administrator

AKG /Soundcraft /Studer /Crown Microphone

 

Harman/Microphone/Mixer Division

8500 Balboa Blvd

Dock 15

Northridge, CA 91329

E-mail: frank.rodriguez@harman.com

Phone: 818-920-3279

fax: 818-920-3218
 


Edited by ninexnine - 6/12/13 at 2:48am
post #2662 of 3233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post


Just get some K702 pads. They're made of a different material and don't compress as much as the Anniversary pads.

The K702 pads are angled, so it's less likely your ears will touch the driver.

 

Or sell the Anniversary and side-grade to the Q701 biggrin.gif

And they make them sound better too. wink.gif

post #2663 of 3233
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

And they make them sound better too. wink.gif

 

Depending on the person's taste, that is...

post #2664 of 3233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post


Quote:

Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

And they make them sound better too. wink.gif

 

Depending on the person's taste, that is...

Nope. This is an absolute, undeniable, irrefutable, objective fact.

post #2665 of 3233
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Nope. This is an absolute, undeniable, irrefutable, objective fact.

 

That the original K702 pads sound better that the memory pads? blink.gif

 

Like I said... matter of opinion. You want facts? I woke up this morning, brushed my teeth, took a nice long dump, then showered before getting dressed and walking out the door. Those are absolute, undeniable, irrefutable, objective facts.

post #2666 of 3233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

 

That the original K702 pads sound better that the memory pads? blink.gif

 

Like I said... matter of opinion. You want facts? I woke up this morning, brushed my teeth, took a nice long dump, then showered before getting dressed and walking out the door. Those are absolute, undeniable, irrefutable, objective facts.

Umm, although I do find it better, that would be me screwing with you in all good fun. It's a good thing I'm not a troll because you'd be an easy target. wink.gif


Edited by roguegeek - 6/12/13 at 11:32am
post #2667 of 3233
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Umm, although I do find it better, that would be me screwing with you in all good fun. It's a good thing I'm not a troll because you'd be an easy target. wink.gif

 

Dude, I'm just jabbing back in good fun, too... lol. I'm extremely bored...

post #2668 of 3233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

 

Dude, I'm just jabbing back in good fun, too... lol. I'm extremely bored...

Gotcha... Still a fact it sounds better. wink.gif

post #2669 of 3233
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Gotcha... Still a fact it sounds better. wink.gif

 

evil_smiley.gifvery_evil_smiley.gifdevil_face.gif

post #2670 of 3233

how much impact do they little foam rings behind the earpads have on the sound?

with them removed, my ear doesn't touch the driver anymore...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition