Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition - Page 174

post #2596 of 3241

Yay!! Mine should be coming tmrw!! Been anxiously waiting for these to arrive.  Got a good price for them from razordogdeals so I pulled the trigger hoping to have these to compliment my beloved HD 650s. Demoed a bunch of HPs in a store once, definitely liked the K702 Annies a lot! Was very surprised by how balanced the sound was... they ended up being my second fav that day (fav was HD 800). Outta all the other phones i tried that day (K550, HE-400, LCD2, HE 500, Beyer T1, PS1000) I felt these were the closest to the HD 800s in terms of staging, imaging and tone character (but of course HD 800 beat it out in all respects... but rightly so for the price).

post #2597 of 3241
Yeah I see almost no reason to get the k550 when the k702 AE is around, later the k712.

The he400, I haven't spend enough time on the AE to really say I like it better, but I do like it better as of my first impression with three hour of listening. Enjoyment most likely techically I'm not totally convinced yet.
post #2598 of 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post

Yeah I see almost no reason to get the k550 when the k702 AE is around, later the k712.
 

 

Of course if you are not looking for a closed-back design.

post #2599 of 3241

okay almost no reason smile.gif

post #2600 of 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

I haven't heard K1000 or Annies but I know about at least two people who said to prefer Anniversaries and/or all K7xx models over K1000 in this thread... This is also what one person I know personally thinks (mainly because he does not find K1000 to be any special)... That said, it's not as important, everything is subjective and matter of preference, of course! I personally always wanted to hear K1000... I guess I would like them more due to their design.

Trust me when I tell you the K1000 are much closer to the HD800's level than the K702 65. If you like the HD800 much more than the K702/65, you're bound to say the same about the K1000 as it's the closest thing I've heard to the HD800. Maybe it's possible some would prefer the annies, but I think it would be a very small minority if judging by SQ alone. One thing is for sure; they ain't comfy! tongue_smile.gif

post #2601 of 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

Trust me when I tell you the K1000 are much closer to the HD800's level than the K702 65. If you like the HD800 much more than the K702/65, you're bound to say the same about the K1000 as it's the closest thing I've heard to the HD800. Maybe it's possible some would prefer the annies, but I think it would be a very small minority if judging by SQ alone. One thing is for sure; they ain't comfy! tongue_smile.gif

 

Have you read the review on headfonia, btw? I was seriously considering to try K1000 but after reading reviews and asking people, the impression I got is that HD800 are simply the more complete and versatile headphone, especially if you don't only listen to classical or acoustic music in general. In general, I was simply told that if I already have HD800, I shouldn't bother with K1000.

 

The design of K1000 is what I find interesting... That said, there are several opinions on that the drivers of AKGs are outdated and cannot compete on technical level with HD800. Also, the soundstage of AKGs can be wider but the overall depth and layering is lacking (in a way that you rather get a flat soundstage). HD800 should be in general superior...

post #2602 of 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

Have you read the review on headfonia, btw? I was seriously considering to try K1000 but after reading reviews and asking people, the impression I got is that HD800 are simply the more complete and versatile headphone, especially if you don't only listen to classical or acoustic music in general. In general, I was simply told that if I already have HD800, I shouldn't bother with K1000.

 

The design of K1000 is what I find interesting... That said, there are several opinions on that the drivers of AKGs are outdated and cannot compete on technical level with HD800. Also, the soundstage of AKGs can be wider but the overall depth and layering is lacking (in a way that you rather get a flat soundstage). HD800 should be in general superior...

 

Headphonia is a terrible terrible review group. I would never give any value to things their reviews say. 

post #2603 of 3241
Again, comparing a mid level can for two flagships that cost a LOT more. Simply genius.
post #2604 of 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

Headphonia is a terrible terrible review group. I would never give any value to things their reviews say. 

 

agree , took K550 the best AKG so far for them , or DT-770 Pro LE (their favorite beyer excluding T1) at least they have good photos redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Again, comparing a mid level can for two flagships that cost a LOT more. Simply genius.

 

why not ? flagship are not much better than their price would sugest .

 

we pay 3x for 1.25x improvement at most if not less . so it's still comparable IMO .

 

(but it's the same for every product here rolleyes.gif)


Edited by HaVoC-28 - 5/23/13 at 9:22pm
post #2605 of 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post

agree , took K550 the best AKG so far for them , or DT-770 Pro LE (their favorite beyer excluding T1) at least they have good photos redface.gif

+agree. It is a terrible site. They actually sell things so we should not believe in what they say. By the way dt770 has to be the worst headphone beyerdynamic has at this very moment.
post #2606 of 3241

Well, in all fairness the K550 are still a pretty good pair of cans.  Even Tyll agrees:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone-page-2

 

I believe most of us here respect his opinions and reviews?

 

In the end, it's just personal preference once you get to a certain point. Personally, I know many love the Beyer DT880s... but demoing them with the Lyr/Bifrost, I found them harsh, sibilant and downright displeasing to my ears. For me, those trebles were just too hot to redeem any other good sound they produced.
 


Edited by joebobbilly - 5/23/13 at 11:02pm
post #2607 of 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobbilly View Post

Well, in all fairness the K550 are still a pretty good pair of cans.  Even Tyll agrees:

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone-page-2

 

I believe most of us here respect his opinions and reviews?

 

In the end, it's just personal preference once you get to a certain point. Personally, I know many love the Beyer DT880s... but demoing them with the Lyr/Bifrost, I found them harsh, sibilant and downright displeasing to my ears. For me, those trebles were just too hot to redeem any other good sound they produced.
 


nobody is saying that K550 is a bad headphone  , just :

 

http://www.headfonia.com/akgs-new-reference-the-k550/  or   http://www.headfonia.com/the-beyerdynamic-we-love-dt770-anniversary-edition/

 

  for me this is just exaggerated .


Edited by HaVoC-28 - 5/23/13 at 11:33pm
post #2608 of 3241

True... to say the K550 is clean like an electrostatic is definitely over exaggerating.  I see what you mean, their reviews can be misleading and give the wrong impressions for people who don't have much listening experience.
 

On a side note (or rather... back on track): postal tracking says it's ready @ the post office!!!!  Sweet!!! Can't wait to go pick up the Annies!

post #2609 of 3241
I'm willing to bet you'll find it to be a great compliment to the 650. smily_headphones1.gif
post #2610 of 3241

Do you guys find that the Annies have just as long as a break-in/burn-in time as it's predecessors? I read most reviews indicate they need 300Hrs or so of burn-in. How much do they change? what aspects?

 

TBH... straight outta box they sound pretty good already. I honestly do think they sound quite similar to the HD 650s, but with more space, air and sparkle

 

In comparison to HD 650:

- wider soundstage, better imaging, more air to instruments and sound

- more sparkle in trebles, but not harsh... at least not so far from the tracks i tried

- details are indeed very clear to pick out... perhaps a bit more resolving than HD 650?? might need more time to be sure

- does lack that magical smooth buttery mid-bass tone of the HD 650... HD 650 still king when it comes to vocals IMHO

 

Now I may be mistaken, but running these outta e17/e09k... they seem to have more bass impact and warmth on high gain... low gain isn't quite as full sounding but seems to give better volume control and perhaps a tad more detail due to reduced bass (less distracting).  So it seems that for detailed listening low gain is preferable, but high gain is better for more euphonic and "musical" sound. Will be doing more comparison and update when I get these babies burned-in more =D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition