Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition - Page 18

post #256 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman42 View Post

If I can't get them this year, I'll wait for the 66th Aniversary Ed. beyersmile.png

 

That's the spirit! On the other hand, I really don't know how they can improve these cans any further ;) If I ever consider upgrading they have to be HD800's.

post #257 of 3252

In case anyone is interested, I got a pair this weekend and I'm very pleased, mostly due to the new headband. Thank GOD the bumps are gone! I loved my old K702s, but they had to go because they irritated my head on long sessions. So glad to have that sound back!

post #258 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamrox View Post

In case anyone is interested, I got a pair this weekend and I'm very pleased, mostly due to the new headband. Thank GOD the bumps are gone! I loved my old K702s, but they had to go because they irritated my head on long sessions. So glad to have that sound back!

 

So would you say they had more or less bass impact than the K702s? Thinking of switching out my 702s and keeping options open. I love the sound of the K550s and I wish the 702s could reach it and still have the more open soundstage. Are these 65th-ers what I am looking for? Input is greatly appreciated!!

 

Running it out of a heed canamp, so if I was to go to anything else (Senns, Denon, Shure...) not sure how that amp would perform as it is tested with AKGs and as well known, does a nice job.

 

Have to say, they do look sexy but I don't care if they put out a phone similar to orthodontic headgear - if it sounds good, hook it up!

post #259 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamrox View Post

In case anyone is interested, I got a pair this weekend and I'm very pleased, mostly due to the new headband. Thank GOD the bumps are gone! I loved my old K702s, but they had to go because they irritated my head on long sessions. So glad to have that sound back!

 

Yeah they are now extremely comfortable. I would love to hear your impressions after some burn in. Oh and may I ask the serial number of your headphones?

post #260 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudalicious View Post

 

So would you say they had more or less bass impact than the K702s?

 

They sound about the same to me, but I'm going off my memory of the K702 sound, since I got rid of them last month. If I need a little extra bass boost, I use my Yamaha receiver which has a bass and treble boost dial. Works perfect!

But the earpads are definitely more comfortable and the headband as well. That alone is worth the upgrade in price, for me at least. I know they are mostly a marketing gimmick but if I can listen to them longer, then I get my money's worth.

post #261 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudalicious View Post

 

So would you say they had more or less bass impact than the K702s? Thinking of switching out my 702s and keeping options open. I love the sound of the K550s and I wish the 702s could reach it and still have the more open soundstage. Are these 65th-ers what I am looking for? Input is greatly appreciated!!

 

I own both K550's and 65's and can say that if you like the 550's you will absolutely love the 65's. They are actually quite similar sounding, but the 65's have wider soundstage and are even more comfortable. I also feel that the 65's are smoother and have better balance overall. The (semi)open structure of the 65's enable more transparent sound. If I had to choose I would take 65's any day, although I love my 550's (the best closed cans I've ever tested). Bass wise I would say that the 65's are pretty close to the 550's. I have also tested standard 702's vs. 65's briefly in the same amplifier and came to the conclusion the 65's are warmer/fuller sounding than the 702's (straight out of the box). This is, however, only my personal opinion but I'm pretty confident about my impressions. It is yet to be confirmed whether the fuller sound is coming from the new memory foam pads, from different tuning or from both. Some people say that by switching standard 702 pads with the memory foam pads you get 702's and 65's to sound very similar. In my FiiO E17 the 65's need about 20% more volume than the K550's to get similar strength of sound.

post #262 of 3252

Nice! Another E17 user. I use an E17 with a Q701. Do you feel the E17 pairs well enough with the 65'th anniversary K702's? A lot of people seem to think the E17 is not enough. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post

 

I own both K550's and 65's and can say that if you like the 550's you will absolutely love the 65's. They are actually quite similar sounding, but the 65's have wider soundstage and are even more comfortable. I also feel that the 65's are smoother and have better balance overall. The (semi)open structure of the 65's enable more transparent sound. If I had to choose I would take 65's any day, although I love my 550's (the best closed cans I've ever tested). Bass wise I would say that the 65's are pretty close to the 550's. I have also tested standard 702's vs. 65's briefly in the same amplifier and came to the conclusion the 65's are warmer/fuller sounding than the 702's (straight out of the box). This is, however, only my personal opinion but I'm pretty confident about my impressions. It is yet to be confirmed whether the fuller sound is coming from the new memory foam pads, from different tuning or from both. Some people say that by switching standard 702 pads with the memory foam pads you get 702's and 65's to sound very similar. In my FiiO E17 the 65's need about 20% more volume than the K550's to get similar strength of sound.

post #263 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

Nice! Another E17 user. I use an E17 with a Q701. Do you feel the E17 pairs well enough with the 65'th anniversary K702's? A lot of people seem to think the E17 is not enough. 

 

E17 is marvelous device for the cheap price and performs very good overall, but with the 65's it is probably not enough. It goes well with my K550's, for which I bought it for, but I think I need something better to unleash the full potential of 65's. Don't get me wrong, the 65's sound very good with the E17, but from time to time I feel that a better amplifier/dac would really allow these headphones to shine. I'm quite happy with my system now and would definitely give E17 my highest recommendation since the quality-price ratio is just too good to pass (130€ incl. shipping for me). It is also worth noticing that if you ever decide to buy something better you still have a portable amp in your E17. I think, however, that you shouldn't get too high impedance cans for the E17. The impedance of 65's is 62 ohms and I can use them at the 6db gain and not need to go for the highest 12db gain. I don't think you should ever go for the highest gain since it has been reported to have effect on the sound quality. With K550's and 65's I keep my volume at 20-25 and 25-32 levels, respectively. At this point, however, I just kind of have to stick to E17 for a while since I've been spending too much (about 3500€) on hifi during last year or so and need to cool down on the purchases :)

 

Edit: If you like how the E17 performs with your Q701's you are most likely satisfied how they perform with the 65's as well.


Edited by Salvatore - 11/19/12 at 11:55pm
post #264 of 3252

The price dropped locally from $748 to $499, if they go to $349 I'm in, sold my Q701's about a week ago and only have k550's right now.

post #265 of 3252

Interesting, do you have an link please. In Germany you can buy them in many places now, but the price is €569

 

THX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelIish View Post

The price dropped locally from $748 to $499, if they go to $349 I'm in, sold my Q701's about a week ago and only have k550's right now.


Edited by Blackmore - 11/20/12 at 9:35pm
post #266 of 3252

I still wonder how they got the 65th to not be too "shouty" in the mids with flat pads.

If you use K601 pads on the Q701, the mids are very fatiguing. This isn't really noticeable until you listen to them for awhile.

 

I also thought that maybe the stock 65 pads compress, but with the way the K702/Q701 is designed, they probably don't compress that much at all.

Not like the XB500 anyway.

 

I guess the pad design itself is what allows the sound to not be ruined.

 

I told AKG on their Facebook page I want them to release the 65th in the USA so Santa can deliver one to me on Christmas..

No reply of course.

 

I'd be very worried that for me it'll be a step back from how my Q701 sounds. I'm guessing it won't be, but still have to wonder about that..

I mean the Q701 already has enough bass for me. I mean, maybe if it has more low-bass, but that's probably impossible with the same driver.

I guess the 65th is rated at 8hz and the Q701 is at 10hz biggrin.gif

post #267 of 3252
post #268 of 3252
post #269 of 3252

Many thanks for the links. Personally, I think this is totally bull sh.t, European product cost lower in US than in EU, cant believe this "logical" marketing and they want us to buy locally and not to get from abroad, idiots.

 

THX

post #270 of 3252

 I believe its 10hz as well.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

I guess the 65th is rated at 8hz and the Q701 is at 10hz biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition