Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition - Page 165

post #2461 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMan X View Post


I don't care what comes in the box as long as the headphones are well built and do not come damaged.  That is what is important.

 

I'll have to entirely disagree with this blanket statement. Although most of the time that is true, in this case it isn't. I don't have many critical things to say about the Annie, but if you are going to produce something that purposely celebrates an anniversary and you claim it to be a limited edition, I expect more than just a sticker and "book" which is really just a piece of paper. Change the box design maybe. Provide unique items like a real paperback book or at least the stand that was included in older K701 models. I mean this is an important and impressive can. Celebrate it, AKG.

post #2462 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

 

I'll have to entirely disagree with this blanket statement. Although most of the time that is true, in this case it isn't. I don't have many critical things to say about the Annie, but if you are going to produce something that purposely celebrates an anniversary and you claim it to be a limited edition, I expect more than just a sticker and "book" which is really just a piece of paper. Change the box design maybe. Provide unique items like a real paperback book or at least the stand that was included in older K701 models. I mean this is an important and impressive can. Celebrate it, AKG.

 

Yeah, paying 500+USD for an ANNIVERSARY product, one would expect something better than the same 10 years old x70x headphone with slightly polished pads... and a sticker, of course!


Edited by RustA - 5/3/13 at 10:23am
post #2463 of 3294

oh boy...

post #2464 of 3294

Seems to be the norm rather than the exception nowadays. Look at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 LE -- same story (new design and pads, barebones box with a piece of paper). Even the Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV had an austere package, and that's a $1000+ 50th Anniversary product.

post #2465 of 3294

This thread really has turned into a pissing match over the last few days.

post #2466 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post

This thread really has turned into a pissing match over the last few days.

...and those boys DO have very healthy prostates!
post #2467 of 3294

... which the AE definitely does not deserve.

post #2468 of 3294
Anyone experience creaking/squeaking from the hinges? I poked around some old AKG X70x threads and it seemed like people referred to creaking as a problem from the past. I'm assuming that the joints will 'break in' but I am simply curious.
post #2469 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post

Anyone experience creaking/squeaking from the hinges? I poked around some old AKG X70x threads and it seemed like people referred to creaking as a problem from the past. I'm assuming that the joints will 'break in' but I am simply curious.

 

Mine does on the right side hinge/pivot when I moved my head around.  It's mildly annoying, but not a huge detractor.  I've just assumed it would go away with time.  

post #2470 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader2k View Post

Mine does on the right side hinge/pivot when I moved my head around.  It's mildly annoying, but not a huge detractor.  I've just assumed it would go away with time.  

My left side is more plastic on plastic creaking. The right is a squeak when moved up and down. Annoying, but I'm not going to do anything about it until I have another reason to send them in. By that time, I'm guessing they won't creak anymore. Thanks for the response.
post #2471 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

My thoughts exactly. The Annie is still a K70x with a sound tweak. It's not a flasghip level headphone. It's a great all arounder, with lots of balance. Not the best at any one thing, but great in basically all things. Still, it's a $375 headphone performance wise at best, and should be treated as such.

So it is good for a 375usd headphone?

 

I'm not yet convinced what headphone to purchase.

AD700 costs 120euro and seems to be good for competitive gaming but according youre review not good for "fun"

PC360 costs 155euro and seems to be similar to AD700, slightly more "fun".

Q702 costs   280euro and seems to have better "fun" compared to PC360, not sure if it's worth twice the price compared to PC360(?).

K702 65 Annie costs 569euro so it's twice the price of Q702, I don't think for me it's worth twice the cost.

 

I'm propably looking at either Q702 or PC360.

Also the K701 is 200euro but it seems if I'm spending 200euros I might aswell spend 80euros more for better gaming/movie/music "experience"?

 

my usage: 85% fps gaming, 2% music (eminem + rammsten) and 13% movies.

 

Currently have Sennheiser HD212 pro so I'm assuming big difference in performance regardless of headphones chosen.

post #2472 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatzer View Post

So it is good for a 375usd headphone?

 

I'm not yet convinced what headphone to purchase.

AD700 costs 120euro and seems to be good for competitive gaming but according youre review not good for "fun"

PC360 costs 155euro and seems to be similar to AD700, slightly more "fun".

Q702 costs   280euro and seems to have better "fun" compared to PC360, not sure if it's worth twice the price compared to PC360(?).

K702 65 Annie costs 569euro so it's twice the price of Q702, I don't think for me it's worth twice the cost.

 

I'm propably looking at either Q702 or PC360.

Also the K701 is 200euro but it seems if I'm spending 200euros I might aswell spend 80euros more for better gaming/movie/music "experience"?

 

my usage: 85% fps gaming, 2% music (eminem + rammsten) and 13% movies.

 

Currently have Sennheiser HD212 pro so I'm assuming big difference in performance regardless of headphones chosen.

 

Not gonna answer your primary question but I would strongly advise to find out what is "fun" for you in terms of headphone sound...

(people here usually consider as fun V-shaped or subwooferish bassy headphones... for me, anything too far from neutral is not fun but boring and lacking in terms of fidelity)

 

As for the difference... I would say you will be happy, with AKGs at least, but don't expect miracles. Regardless of what headphone you choose to purchase, you are still going to get a pair of headphones (nothing more, nothing less). Even though I have owned several flagship models and am extremely happy with my Sennheiser HD800, I would be very careful about comparing them subjectively to "lesser" headphones. In reality, if you take these HD800/LCD-2/whatever and compare side by side with some budget full-size headphone on the same amp, you will find that the actual difference in performance is NOT that big. Definitely not 15x better or something like that (100USD phone vs 1500USD HD800), rather 2x better at best if we stay rational.

 

To sum up, the reason to go and keep some flagship is that it offers certain quality(ies) that you enjoy very much with headphones and that is simply better with that flagship than with anything. If you are after extremely defined, deep and clear bass that is both fun and realistic, you get LCD-2/LCD-3. If you are after neutrality, soundstage, imaging, separation, you would prefer HD800... If you want to get awesome vocals, you could try some Audio Technica etc. Therefore, I would universally suggest to find out what you are searching for with headphones and choose according to that.

 

From the list above, I would most probably get K702 anniversary as it seems to be an overpriced but still very versatile headphone that will offer you good results in every sound aspect. Or, you could try Hifiman HE-400, Sennheiser HD600/HD650. Especially Senns are very cheap in Europe and therefore I would most probably go for one of those two over AKG or HE-400 if you are short on budget. Both HD600 and HD650 are keepers, definitely headphones worth having.


Edited by RustA - 5/8/13 at 6:41am
post #2473 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

Not gonna answer your primary question but I would strongly advise to find out what is "fun" for you in terms of headphone sound...

(people here usually consider as fun V-shaped or subwooferish bassy headphones... for me, anything too far from neutral is not fun but boring and lacking in terms of fidelity)

 

As for the difference... I would say you will be happy, with AKGs at least, but don't expect miracles. Regardless of what headphone you choose to purchase, you are still going to get a pair of headphones (nothing more, nothing less). Even though I have owned several flagship models and am extremely happy with my Sennheiser HD800, I would be very careful about comparing them subjectively to "lesser" headphones. In reality, if you take these HD800/LCD-2/whatever and compare side by side with some budget full-size headphone on the same amp, you will find that the actual difference in performance is NOT that big. Definitely not 15x better or something like that (100USD phone vs 1500USD HD800), rather 2x better at best if we stay rational.

 

To sum up, the reason to go and keep some flagship is that it offers certain quality(ies) that you enjoy very much with headphones and that is simply better with that flagship than with anything. If you are after extremely defined, deep and clear bass that is both fun and realistic, you get LCD-2/LCD-3. If you are after neutrality, soundstage, imaging, separation, you would prefer HD800... If you want to get awesome vocals, you could try some Audio Technica etc. Therefore, I would universally suggest to find out what you are searching for with headphones and choose according to that.

 

From the list above, I would most probably get K702 anniversary as it seems to be an overpriced but still very versatile headphone that will offer you good results in every sound aspect. Or, you could try Hifiman HE-400, Sennheiser HD600/HD650. Especially Senns are very cheap in Europe and therefore I would most probably go for one of those two over AKG or HE-400 if you are short on budget. Both HD600 and HD650 are keepers, definitely headphones worth having.

Thanks for the good post.

 

"Fun" to me propably would be getting sucked into a game or movie.

When I listen to music it's usually eminem and propably I prefer havin good amount of bass.

Also "feeling" bullets and explosions is something that I prefer.

Based on the above I think closed headphones are the best, however for competitive gaming they say open headphones is the way to go.

 

Generally I don't like paying for a product if it's overpriced, propably won't buy the K702annie at 569euro's.

I'm generally spending 80% on gaming and 20% on movies/tv shows.

Because I mainly do gaming and positional sound is important(footsteps & knowing where enemy is) I looked at this guide:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-30-13-koss-esp-950-added

 

I based my list of that guide, even though I exclusively game on PC (that link is for console gaming).

 

The Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm is also cheap (cheaper then Sennheiser PC360).

According the link above it got Fun: 9 and Competitive: 8.

 

Ultimately because I do game alot and want every edge in competitive gaming I propably should buy PC360/AD700/K701/Q701/K702/702annie (for competitive they all got 9.5 or better).

 

Considering I never tried anything Hi Fi earphones before I could aswell just order Sennheiser PC360 and call it a day :D

I was seriously considering PC350 but I read so many bad things it fell out of buying list.

post #2474 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatzer View Post"Fun" to me propably would be getting sucked into a game or movie.

When I listen to music it's usually eminem and propably I prefer havin good amount of bass.

Also "feeling" bullets and explosions is something that I prefer.

Based on the above I think closed headphones are the best, however for competitive gaming they say open headphones is the way to go.

Try the ATH-W1000X. It's a good mix between immersion and competitiveness.

post #2475 of 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post

 

Yeah and that was written by Hifiguy so it all comes to his AKG inside source. If there is indeed more than 3000 copies released I feel really angry. I mean the K712 comes with all extra stuff that should have shipped with anniversary edition. What did we prototype testers get? Sticker and a booklet. AKG you can stick that sticker up into your ***.

I completely agree. If the K712 can be found for anywhere near the $400 I paid for the K702 65th and comes with the extras, I'll be pretty miffed. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition