Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition - Page 132

post #1966 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

1 minute impression...my Q701 suddenly got more farty sounding.

 

Wow. Nice impressions. This thread is ridiculous.

post #1967 of 3222

I've posted some impressions here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/2685#post_9273107

 

Kind of not hearing much difference, but it's definitely there. Yes, even with bassy music. It's like 3-5% increase in bass to my ears or about like using an EQ.

 

I had to remove the outer foam to get an increase in low bass, but then I swear I lost some mid-bass or something. I'm going to experiment.

 

I should point out that you might get more bass if you have more clamp. My Q701 is very secure on my head, but not much clamp.

 

Oh and I don't believe cables make a measurable difference normal_smile%20.gif

 

I'll triple check my Modi isn't rolling off the bass. Still have the ODAC.

post #1968 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Yeah. That was... an interesting response. Also, the bass isn't as audible a difference? Dude, you tell me about how different cables sound but can't hear how big a jump in bass it is? tongue.gif

The bass is similar sounding on either pad, however, the bass is more emphasized to the point it's as forward, if not more so than the mids. The Q701's bass might sound similar, but it takes a back seat to the mids. Also, put on some bassy music, the difference will be quite obvious.

Give it time, either way. Look at Chico's response after he spent two weeks with the Annies alone. Go back to the Q701 pads after two weeks.

But yes, your Q701 was still a bit brighter than my Annies, so that's also a factor here.

Still, I'm sure you'll come around. You own the HD650, so the ANnie pads should put your Q701 in between the two, sonically.

 

I would say that the reason my Q701 sounded brighter than your Annie is that it was the outer foam. My testing might have just confirmed that.

 

I think it's possible the bass quantity of the Q701 with 65th pads is about the same as my HD-650, especially in the low bass. The HD-650 I have has no real mid-bass hump at all. My HD-600/580 had more of a mid-bass hump and it annoys the heck out of me. My Dj100 still beats them with low-bass, but that's closed. It picks up stuff that barely registers on the 650/Q701.

 

Last night I was gaming with the Q701 and the low-bass was so much lower in volume than the HD-650. Felt like it was just barely there. Now the K400's low bass..that's good for a laugh.

 

I'm still testing the differences, so impressions MIGHT change. Still not hearing really much difference at all. Maybe I can get out my sound meter normal_smile%20.gif

 

Again..you guys probably have larger heads compared to me and more clamping force biggrin.gif When I remove my Q701, the memory foam is barely even compressed.

post #1969 of 3222

.


Edited by tdockweiler - 3/21/13 at 6:25am
post #1970 of 3222
Can you put it as it was when you first got it? I can't keep up with your mods.
post #1971 of 3222

.


Edited by tdockweiler - 3/21/13 at 6:26am
post #1972 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

I would say that the reason my Q701 sounded brighter than your Annie is that it was the outer foam. My testing might have just confirmed that.

 

I think it's possible the bass quantity of the Q701 with 65th pads is about the same as my HD-650, especially in the low bass. The HD-650 I have has no real mid-bass hump at all. My HD-600/580 had more of a mid-bass hump and it annoys the heck out of me. My Dj100 still beats them with low-bass, but that's closed. It picks up stuff that barely registers on the 650/Q701.

 

Last night I was gaming with the Q701 and the low-bass was so much lower in volume than the HD-650. Felt like it was just barely there. Now the K400's low bass..that's good for a laugh.

 

I'm still testing the differences, so impressions MIGHT change. Still not hearing really much difference at all. Maybe I can get out my sound meter normal_smile%20.gif

 

Again..you guys probably have larger heads compared to me and more clamping force biggrin.gif When I remove my Q701, the memory foam is barely even compressed.

I imagine that makes a big difference. My head's huge, so I got pretty good clamp/compression when I had the Annie. looking forward to getting the pads from Frank some year.

post #1973 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Can you put it as it was when you first got it? I can't keep up with your mods.

 

Right now it's totally as stock with just the 65th pads installed. Doesn't sound that bad now. I'm mostly getting more of a mid-bass hump and not so much more low bass presence. More warmth, but it seems less upper mids and far less treble.

 

It really sounds like a PX100-II in tonality now. Katun will love it! normal_smile%20.gif No and this is not a bad thing. I just didn't love that headphone, but felt it was pretty OK.

 

The lower mids really do feel much more forward. I haven't noticed any shoutiness from the lower mids in more than 15 minutes, so that's a good thing. Pad burn in? Just kidding biggrin.gif

 

The mid bass does draw more attention to itself and it's a bit annoying. Not like the MDR-V6 though. I'm pretty sure it has more mid-bass than my HD-650. My HD-650 is not normal though or so it seems.

 

Here's a puzzle for someone. How does the 702 Annie get warmth with no grill foam and a completely open outer grill and the Q701 requires the foam to have any sort of warmth with the 65th pads? Weird right? Another AKG mystery.

Hmm, I too wonder why.

post #1974 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

 

Kind of not hearing much difference, but it's definitely there. Yes, even with bassy music. It's like 3-5% increase in bass to my ears or about like using an EQ.

 

 

 

Here we go again with those percentages. Man, I'd really like to know what those measures mean.

post #1975 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Got mine today. Shipped on the 13th by Fedex Ground. Listening to my Q701 with them installed now.

1 minute impression...my Q701 suddenly got more farty sounding. Differences in the bass are not as audible as I expected.

Things definitely sound more up-front for whatever reason.

 

OK l'll shut up since this is the 65th Anniversary thread and not the Q701 with 65th pads thread.

 

LOL

 

Don't worry, I was a little underwhelmed at first too.  I felt the same way about the forwardness and bass differences.  The anniversary grows on you though the more you listen to it.

 

The differences seem pretty minor at first, but the more time you spend with them the better an understanding you get of how each pad sounds. 

 

If you spend a while listening to the anniversary pads then switch back to the Q701, the differences will seem larger, and the Q701 will sound like an Audio Technica tongue_smile.gif 

I can hear the differences in the bass better after a week too. The anniversary has more weight and body that the Q701 can't reach.

 

Also try keep in mind the thing about the weight of the sound influencing your perception of the soundstage, just like on the old K702 vs Q701 (and how the Q701 sounds smaller at first because of the weightier sounds).

It got me in the begginning, but after you can listen "through" the weight a little better you can hear the actual soundstage placement is pretty similar between them.

post #1976 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

 

Got mine today. Shipped on the 13th by Fedex Ground. Listening to my Q701 with them installed now.

1 minute impression...my Q701 suddenly got more farty sounding. Differences in the bass are not as audible as I expected.

Things definitely sound more up-front for whatever reason.

 

OK l'll shut up since this is the 65th Anniversary thread and not the Q701 with 65th pads thread.

 

You need the original K-702 to make it a proper mod! tongue_smile.gif

post #1977 of 3222

I was thinking that myself.. With the Q701 sounding warmer than the K702's. All the extra warmth is bound to turn to mud.. Probs why they a farting aswell!

post #1978 of 3222

K702 + K702 ae pads = K702 ae?

post #1979 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCheese View Post

K702 + K702 ae pads = K702 ae?


something like that redface.gif

post #1980 of 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

 

You need the original K-702 to make it a proper mod! tongue_smile.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

I was thinking that myself.. With the Q701 sounding warmer than the K702's. All the extra warmth is bound to turn to mud.. Probs why they a farting aswell!

 

Well, it's been confirmed (by two people) that the Q701 with Anniversary pads sounds identical to the actual Anniversary Edition. I haven't heard the Anniversary Edition with my own ears though.

 

I highly doubt you can get the Anniversary Edition clone with any old K702 and 65th pads. Not unless the latest K702 did in fact get new drivers and sound 100% identical to the Q701.

 

So far I don't think anyone has compared the K702 with 65th pads to the actual Anniversary Edition.

 

Oh and I just know that when I install the 65th pads on my Q701 and remove the outer grill or it's foam the warmth goes out the window. So even installing a K702 grill wouldn't help.

 

I think the only way i'd like these 65th pads are if I put them on an old K701.

 

They even make my K400 sound warmer and bassier than my stock Q701. I liked it at first but them it removes what I love about the K400.

 

There REALLY has to be some internal differences between the Annie and Q701..

 

BTW I'm selling my 65th pads with 5 hours of use. About $13 less than what I paid. If you want them it's in the classifieds. Don't like the sound of them at all on my Q701. Should sound better on the K702 or K701 I'd imagine (not tested).


Edited by tdockweiler - 3/19/13 at 7:14am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition